Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Score "1" for Pentax PEF... I guess...

Downloaded the latest version DxO Optics Pro to play around with the lens corrections abilities...

Was thrilled to see that it already had profiles for the K-3 (yay!), however when I navigated to a folder chock full of K-3 DNG RAW files, it said there were no files in the directory.

I sent a query to DxO about this and lo and behold got this reply:

QuoteQuote:
Hello Kevin,

Thank you for your request.
We are experiencing some issues with the support of the DNG files from the K-3.
Our developers are working on it and a solution will be provided by January 15th.

We apologise for any delay. In the meantime, please use the PEF files.
So there's one reason to keep using PEF, if you're using Optics Pro...

12-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Kevin, I use DXO and Google-NIK software. I discovered the same with the DXO Optics Pro v9 software also. I sent them a note also and notices their website indicated the Jan, 2014 timeframe last week. Can't wait as I like the software since is camera-lens specific in corrections. I also notices that Photoshop CS6 appears to still have problems with the K-3 DNG files and if you use lens correction in Photoshop, the K-3 is not listed still although you can see the EXIF info shows K-3. I do have the camera raw update that includes the K-3.
12-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've run into the same problems with DxO9 and have found a couple of non-ideal work arounds.

It turns out that DxO9 can open and process K-3 TIFF files. You can use DCU5 to bulk convert DNG to 16-bit TIFF and then run DxO9 for lens and other corrections. The downside is that DCU5 doesn't seem to support compression. The resulting .tif is around 141MB. Additionally, the conversion is very slow. I converted several hundred DNGs to TIFF by this method, applied DxO9 processing to get the jpgs I wanted. Then I deleted the TIFFs. The processed jpgs seemed to be comparable to the results I get with K-5 DNGs processed directly.

When DxOlabs fixes their DNG problem it will be interesting to compare DNG->TIFF->DxOjpg with DNG->DxOjpg.

I also found that Fast Stone Image Viewer converts DNG to TIFF, but the resulting TIFF differs compared to the DCU5 TIFF conversion. More investigation is needed.

Other software packages might work as well, or better, for this purpose.

[Incidently, Kudos to DxOlabs for getting the PEF (and TIFF) working for the K-3 so soon. I was afraid I was going to have to wait until January.]

Cheers,
Lou
12-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lm4187 Quote
You can use DCU5 to bulk convert DNG to 16-bit TIFF
You can also do this in camera, from the Playback mode menu - even whole folders full of images

The K-3 DNG issue DxO report is interesting. The K-3 DNG's seem quite quirky, judging by the issues various RAW tools have been having with them.

12-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You can also do this in camera, from the Playback mode menu - even whole folders full of images

The K-3 DNG issue DxO report is interesting. The K-3 DNG's seem quite quirky, judging by the issues various RAW tools have been having with them.
I just looked at the Playback menu - it shows "Slideshow", "Quick Zoom", "Highlight Alert", "Auto Image Rotation", "Protect All Images", and "Delete All Images" - not a thing about conversion to TIFF.
12-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ENicolas Quote
I just looked at the Playback menu - it shows "Slideshow", "Quick Zoom", "Highlight Alert", "Auto Image Rotation", "Protect All Images", and "Delete All Images" - not a thing about conversion to TIFF.
Ah - I see - not "Menu" but the "Options" when you are viewing an image: one of the options is to convert raw to JPEG or TIFF! Excellent!
12-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I just tried the latest version of DXO 9 and it opened the K3 DNG files and manipulated them perfectly.

David

12-20-2013, 01:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I thought there is no PEF any more on new Pentax bodies
12-20-2013, 02:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

My K3 can do either PEF or DNG.
12-20-2013, 03:13 AM   #10
Banned

Photos: Gallery
You Always turn them incamera into TIFF-files if you can't handle DNG nor PEF
12-20-2013, 05:41 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is really interesting. I suspect most of us have been using DNG for a while since that format is supposed to be more universal (earlier support of new cameras they said) and, of course, because some recent Pentax cameras no longer supported PEF. Now the K3 reintroduces PEF and it appears that at least some raw processors have difficulty handling K3 DNGs. DX0 has managed to handle PEFs but not DNGs. So does this mean that we should all us PEF for awhile to improve compatibility? Is there information in the new K3 which just does not fit well in DNG? How can that be since both formats are supposed to only be container files which contain the same date? I am sure there is a simple explanation but I do find it interesting. I will try PEF this weekend with DX0 to see what I get.
12-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
This is really interesting. I suspect most of us have been using DNG for a while since that format is supposed to be more universal (earlier support of new cameras they said) and, of course, because some recent Pentax cameras no longer supported PEF. Now the K3 reintroduces PEF and it appears that at least some raw processors have difficulty handling K3 DNGs. DX0 has managed to handle PEFs but not DNGs. So does this mean that we should all us PEF for awhile to improve compatibility? Is there information in the new K3 which just does not fit well in DNG? How can that be since both formats are supposed to only be container files which contain the same date? I am sure there is a simple explanation but I do find it interesting. I will try PEF this weekend with DX0 to see what I get.
As DxO is not part of my normal workflow (yet) but DNG is,I will wait until mid January to explore the benefits of DxO with the K-3.
12-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by David&karen Quote
I just tried the latest version of DXO 9 and it opened the K3 DNG files and manipulated them perfectly.
That would be good. But which version are you using?
I have DxO Optics Pro v9.0.1.1469 installed and it can't read K-3 PEF or DNG's.
And the version they offer under the DxO 'Check for updates' menu (v9.1.1563) only offers ' K-3 support - PEF'.

If they stepped up the pace and delivered their January update with K-3 DNG support early, that would be welcome.
12-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

whatever is the current update version is the one I used and I dl'ed this morning.

David
12-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Ok, I have DXO 9.1.1 build 39 64 bit for MAC. Hope this helps.

David