Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Photoshop Elements 12 will not Support K-3 PEF Files

You all may know this but it took me an hour on the help line with Adobe to find out that the next version of PE will not support K-3 RAW (PEF) files... Something's wrong with this picture... Sure I could shoot in DNG or use a DNG converter, or switch to new software for post-processing, but come on isn't the K-3 a World Class camera worthy of support?

12-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cdurfor Quote
You all may know this but it took me an hour on the help line with Adobe to find out that the next version of PE will not support K-3 RAW (PEF) files... Something's wrong with this picture... Sure I could shoot in DNG or use a DNG converter, or switch to new software for post-processing, but come on isn't the K-3 a World Class camera worthy of support?
They haven't released an update containing support for the K-3 yet. They usually release them every 90 days, so expect PEF support early next year.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe, but it also makes DNG files natively. So you have to wonder whether it's worth the time to make the software compatible with a minor, proprietary format when the camera already produces a format that the software supports.

If you use Adobe software why not just shoot in DNG? If you use the Pentax software then that's a good reason but for Adobe, just shoot DNG.
12-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I dropped PEF after the K30 didn't support it. Exclusively shoot DNG and have not had a problem. plus no sidecar files to worry about with DNG for programs like LR.

12-21-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I believe the Raw Converter in Elements is the same as that used in Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CS6, if so they have included the K3 in their latest 8.3 version of Raw Converter, but my suspicion is that this is still an interim version as far as the K3 is concerned, you can try updating Elements from the Help menu. It should download the latest Raw Converter (Version 8.3) automatically.

Chris
12-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Chris, Philbaum and Adam

Thank you for your insightful comments. I tried using the Updates function in Photoshop and unfortunately, all of my files are currently up to date. Hence my current version of PE (9-Mac) will not have access to ACR 8.3. As mentioned to the Adobe employee yesterday, I would gladlly update the software if it supported ACR 8.3, but no...

Thanks again and happy holidays... As for me, its off to switch to DNG...

Last edited by cdurfor; 12-21-2013 at 08:01 AM. Reason: mistake
05-21-2014, 07:56 PM   #7

Has there been K-3 PEF update?

In h is Initial response, Adam suggests waiting. It is now May 2014, and the K-3 RAW driver is only available for CS6. I have CS5, and several thousand RAW shots (with JPG) shot on K-3, assuming I'd be able to get driver eventually. Getting CS6 would be a major shift in gears for me. Does anyone know if some version of elements will accept The driver, or will I have to make the transition to CS6 to use my existing PEF files from K-3. Or is there a way to convert existing PEF to DWG, then import to CS5?

For the record, I've had the K3 for several months, and LOVE it, and this is my only complaint. I consider it a big improvement over the K10D, which I still have.

05-21-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hal A Quote
In h is Initial response, Adam suggests waiting. It is now May 2014, and the K-3 RAW driver is only available for CS6. I have CS5, and several thousand RAW shots (with JPG) shot on K-3, assuming I'd be able to get driver eventually. Getting CS6 would be a major shift in gears for me. Does anyone know if some version of elements will accept The driver, or will I have to make the transition to CS6 to use my existing PEF files from K-3. Or is there a way to convert existing PEF to DWG, then import to CS5?

For the record, I've had the K3 for several months, and LOVE it, and this is my only complaint. I consider it a big improvement over the K10D, which I still have.
Adobe has a free DNG converter that you could use to convert the K3 PEF files.
The latest Camera Raw updates for Photoshop, Elements and Lightroom support the K3 raw files.
05-29-2014, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Hal A Quote
In h is Initial response, Adam suggests waiting. It is now May 2014, and the K-3 RAW driver is only available for CS6. I have CS5, and several thousand RAW shots (with JPG) shot on K-3, assuming I'd be able to get driver eventually. Getting CS6 would be a major shift in gears for me. Does anyone know if some version of elements will accept The driver, or will I have to make the transition to CS6 to use my existing PEF files from K-3. Or is there a way to convert existing PEF to DWG, then import to CS5?....
Ian easy way to convert files to DNG and have better cataloging than CS, is to get LightRoom. Then just do an import-Copy as DNG, and it will convert all the weird formats. I use this with my Fuji pocket cam and when I goof up and forget I restored to factory and my K7 is in PEF mode. Conversion takes a while, but pics are identical.

(And I'm thinking about upgrading to K3, too - it's good to hear other K10/7/5 users happy with the upgrade)
05-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The PSE 12 I have supports the K3 PEF files. Of course, I did have it upgrade to the lastest nerfed ACR (ACR in PSE 10 has more options than it does in 12).