Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Im not sure 24 MP in a low to mid tier, amateur hobbyist camera makes sense? I would prefer fewer MP, save some space (and possibly get less noise). 16-20 is enough for most non-pros.
Unfortunately, Nikon recently restarted the MP war with its D800 and especially D5200.. But Nikon knows that MP is not king, which is why it also makes lower-MP bodies. (or at least bodies with lower pixel density)
I would like it if Pentax offered a camera with "low MP" (by modern standards) that had amazing noise performance, speed, small size and other such advantages.
Its also probably a bad idea to sell a flagship and lower tier camera with the same sensor - why would anyone buy the flagship then? Only a few people would get it, if they really needed the faster burst mode or some feature like that, but many wouldnt bother.
ok, I think ~ 20MP is about perfect max resolution nowadays for cropped sensor and ~ 30MP for FF , that might change with technology improving...

12-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
It will come, but you again will not be happy as the then new flagship will probably be 30 or 40mp. So in that case you will start a thread about a K30 with 40mp (or so) sensor
no,no,no
I think ~ 20MP is about perfect max resolution nowadays for cropped sensor and ~ 30MP for FF , that might change with technology improving...

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/246171-scaled-down-k-3-k-3...#ixzz2oD95s6Bg
12-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
please believe me, after walking and taking hundreds of photos for 10hrs a day in 35C+ environment 150g ( 800 K-3 / 650 K-30 ) difference make the huge difference.....
I just love Energizer Lithium AA while traveling, do not need to carry chargers and they do 1000+ photos per set.
yes they are expensive, but I use them only while travelling.....
To each his own offcourse
But IMHO a charger (esp the pentax) weighs close to nothing and personnaly I avoid disposable batteries as much as possible for enviromental reasons.
And regarding the weight of the bodies:
K5 with grip and 2 batteries and a 100-300 F4 or a 150-500 weighs a lot more but a sling-type carryingbelt helps a lot. But I`m used to heavy work and loads and I don`t know you personnaly so I can`t judge about your discomfort. Just trying to help
12-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

please believe me, after walking and taking hundreds of photos for 10hrs a day in 35C+ environment 150g ( 800 K-3 / 650 K-30 ) difference make the huge difference.....
It's 150cc of water which can make the difference. When I hiked longer distances, we even went that far as taking of the paper wrappings to save on weight.

So yes, 150 grams makes a difference.

12-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I respectfully dissagree, at least for me these small differences don't matter. A few weeks ago I was hiking through the Bieszczady National Park in Poland, beautiful hills 8 ... 10 hours per day with many hundred meters height difference, carrying my K-5 with battery grip, the DA 4/60-250 (a monster as you know, but great IQ) DA 4/16-45, a heavy macro lens, several primes, a good tripod with solid ballhead, plenty of filters, lots of water and snacks ...

No, I don't think 150g would make a difference to me. But I am only 56 years old my guide during this trip is 62 and a professional landscape photographer carrying a little more stuff arround

But of course everone has tio set his/her own priorities. Cheers.
12-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #21
Site Supporter

What I really want is the 16MP K-30 I already have, but with the f2.8 auto focus sensor. My one and only complaint about my K-30 is when the light is failing and it can't focus my Sigma 30/1.4. K-5II won't fill the bill because it has no focus peaking, which I also use frequently. Don't really need 20 or 24 MP.
12-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
I respectfully dissagree, at least for me these small differences don't matter. A few weeks ago I was hiking through the Bieszczady National Park in Poland, beautiful hills 8 ... 10 hours per day with many hundred meters height difference, carrying my K-5 with battery grip, the DA 4/60-250 (a monster as you know, but great IQ) DA 4/16-45, a heavy macro lens, several primes, a good tripod with solid ballhead, plenty of filters, lots of water and snacks ...

No, I don't think 150g would make a difference to me. But I am only 56 years old my guide during this trip is 62 and a professional landscape photographer carrying a little more stuff arround

But of course everone has tio set his/her own priorities. Cheers.
there is one fundamental difference , you can drive to Poland, I live in Australia and I have to fly to get to Asia or Europe and there are limitations on hand luggage.
I fly economy and need to usually take Mac notebook, iPad, camera and max two light zoom lenses, I can not even dream about taking my DA*300 or DA*60-250 with me,
they are only being used in Australia.
Lucky you, I visited Bieszczady nearly 40 years ago, did you have any encounter with wolves?
kind regards
jack
12-23-2013, 02:15 AM   #23
Veteran Member

there is one fundamental difference , you can drive to Poland, I live in Australia and I have to fly to get to Asia or Europe and there are limitations on hand luggage.
I fly economy and need to usually take Mac notebook, iPad, camera and max two light zoom lenses, I can not even dream about taking my DA*300 or DA*60-250 with me,
Book your flight with Brittish Airways, you can take 23kgs of handluggage
Last summer I flew to South-Africa with a 15" laptop, a K20d, a K5 with grip, a sigma 100-300 F4, a DA*16-50, a DA15ltd, a sigma 150-500, 4 batteries and 3 chargers (17kgs).

On a more serious note and just for information, most airlines allow you to take a laptopcase separetly. Also most airlines will only look at the dimensions of your handluggage.

But you`re older then me so I can understand that weight can be an issue. But I`m just saying, if this is a once in a lifetime trip don`t hold back. Better be sorry for having too much than be sorry you left something at home.

12-23-2013, 02:43 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
The AA batteries - that is the one thing I was disappointed with when I moved to the K-3. Why oh why did they drop that?

Seems like the only way now to have guarantee power is either to get a bulky battery grip or to jury rig some way of charging the LiIon pack off of AA batteries.

AA power was one of the strong points of Pentax for me, so it is now one less than before. Needless to say there are more than enough plus points remaining though.
I went on a 1 month China trip, came back with something like 16000 photos and 9 hours of video, around 30-50 GB a day. The battery not once died on me. I came close, but never has it stopped me from shooting, at most did I have to take it out and put it in again. Using the K-5. I do have a cheap spare now (which seems to be not as good as the original battery, but will do for emergencies), but I unless you shoot more than 1 1/2 - 2 hours video it lasts forever. On a small, light battery. I recon I can get something like 1500-2000 photos out of one charge, and with AA that is not possible. My istDS did around 1000 on eneloops, regular Duracell or Energizer would go on for maybe 100-150 shots.

The only problem is when you forget/lose the charger. Finding replacement isn't easy...
12-23-2013, 04:18 AM   #25
Pentaxian

they are only being used in Australia.
Lucky you, I visited Bieszczady nearly 40 years ago, did you have any encounter with wolves?
kind regards
jack
Yes, weight restriction with the luggage can make a big difference, I agree. And my little roadster was not the ideal car to cary all that stuff to Bieszczady:-).
I did not see any wolves, but a number of warning signs in the forests to be cautious because bears. I've posted some shots here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/246222-landscape-hiki...ml#post2622569
12-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Book your flight with Brittish Airways, you can take 23kgs of handluggage
Last summer I flew to South-Africa with a 15" laptop, a K20d, a K5 with grip, a sigma 100-300 F4, a DA*16-50, a DA15ltd, a sigma 150-500, 4 batteries and 3 chargers (17kgs).
I did fly on BA in the past but they stopped flying to Western Australia ~ 25years ago.
Just checked their WebSite , 23kg in Economy, this is incredible all other airlines allow just 7kg.
Well ,did some research and yes, all others 7kg only, bugger!
12-23-2013, 10:14 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Yes, weight restriction with the luggage can make a big difference, I agree. And my little roadster was not the ideal car to cary all that stuff to Bieszczady:-).
I did not see any wolves, but a number of warning signs in the forests to be cautious because bears. I've posted some shots here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/246222-landscape-hiki...ml#post2622569
great images, bring memories back
thank you for sharing
kind regards
jack
12-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I agree AA's are convenient in times of need. But conversely a couple extra batteries are cheap on eBay. Carrying 2 spares on you, I doubt you would run out of juice between charging opportunities (unless really off the beaten track).
12-24-2013, 04:55 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
I agree AA's are convenient in times of need. But conversely a couple extra batteries are cheap on eBay. Carrying 2 spares on you, I doubt you would run out of juice between charging opportunities (unless really off the beaten track).
..yes, if you remember to charge them and remember to take them with you.
12-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm sure it will happen. Pentax can't keep on recycling the 16mp sensor forever...
Canon has recycled the 18mp sensor forever...