Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2013, 04:47 AM   #1

K3 Firmware 1.01 What's the secret?

What is the secret in loading firmware 1.01 into my K3. I've formatted a new Sandisk extreme pro SD card, copied the 16.8mb fwdc220b.bin file to the SD card (alongside the DCIM ) but every time i turn the camera on with the menu button pressed it goes to the normal status screen!
Does the camera need to see the bin file before allowing the upgrade to appear on the screen when turning on?
I've tried deleting the DCIM so there is only the bin file showing etc, etc.
I can view the present software by going to the Firmware info/Options in the menu but whatever i do, i can't seem to access the firmware update by turning the camera on with the menu button pressed.
Is anyone having similar problems? I could certainly appreciate some help here.

12-22-2013, 04:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you using slot 1 or slot 2? I needed to use slot one for the upgrade to work.
12-22-2013, 05:10 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Are you using slot 1 or slot 2? I needed to use slot one for the upgrade to work.
Much appreciated WIZOFOZ. I really thought i'd already tried this one along with others. All loaded. Cheers.
12-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Glad to help

12-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimlad Quote
Much appreciated WIZOFOZ. I really thought i'd already tried this one along with others. All loaded. Cheers.
I get confused by the LOCATION of Slot 1. It doesn't seem intuitive that from the back it is Rear / High.

I loaded my Eye-Fi card to play with the new wireless menu.
  • First time it said, "No WiFi card loaded in slot 2." Huh? Oh, Duh.
  • Second time - I had already programmed that card for my Q - there was no Menu action to do - it just instantly connected and the Wi-Fi icon appeared on my LCD.
    • My K3 is now IP Address xxx.xxx.x.112. Don't hack me, bro!
12-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I get confused by the LOCATION of Slot 1. It doesn't seem intuitive that from the back it is Rear / High.

I loaded my Eye-Fi card to play with the new wireless menu.
  • First time it said, "No WiFi card loaded in slot 2." Huh? Oh, Duh.
  • Second time - I had already programmed that card for my Q - there was no Menu action to do - it just instantly connected and the Wi-Fi icon appeared on my LCD.
    • My K3 is now IP Address xxx.xxx.x.112. Don't hack me, bro!
Interesting.

My flu card that came with the K-3 is not recognised as being a wireless card by the camera. I was hoping the firmwre update would fix this, but no. Hopefully the Pentax branded flu-card will not have the same problem.

(sorry to the OP for being so off topic)
12-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting.

My flu card that came with the K-3 is not recognised as being a wireless card by the camera. I was hoping the firmwre update would fix this, but no. Hopefully the Pentax branded flu-card will not have the same problem.

(sorry to the OP for being so off topic)
Remember the Pentax specific Flu card is not supposed to be available for at least another month. There have been several threads discussing this. The camera can apparently recognize only that card and the Eye-Fi card. However, any other wifi card will work normally if you set it up according to the card specific instructions. The other cards do not need Pentax to recognized them it is just easier if it does. Be sure to change your power saver settings so the camera does not shut down while the card is connecting. I just put a Transcend WiFi card in my K3 slot 2. Camera said no WiFi present. I proceeded to connect easily to the card from my phone by selecting the card's wifi signal.
12-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IIRC they're marked with a number and a small arrow - am I right?

12-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
IIRC they're marked with a number and a small arrow - am I right?
Well yeah, if you look.