Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #1

So does K3 actually have a brushless motor?

Hi guys,

So I've read some rumours (before the K3 was officially announced) that it'll feature a brushless motor. But there's no news of it now that the K3 is officially out. So does it have this new quieter (and faster?) motor or not?

12-22-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by horc00 Quote
Hi guys,

So I've read some rumours (before the K3 was officially announced) that it'll feature a brushless motor. But there's no news of it now that the K3 is officially out. So does it have this new quieter (and faster?) motor or not?
Don't know about brushless or not, but I do have one of the noisiest af lenses out there - the Pentax F 1.7 50 - and it sounds almost sophisticated on the K-3. Very smooth, and fast!

On the K-01 it sounds like a bucket of bolts being shaken around.
On the K-5 it's just rough sounding.
On the K-7, very rough and slow.
On the K-x, rough and slow.

Thinking on it, it may be a better gear train, if not a brushless motor for the K-3.

AB
12-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by horc00 Quote
Hi guys,

It's definitely faster (about 50% faster according to tests), but not quieter IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-23-2013, 01:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If it's faster but not noisier (which is my impression, but I didn't really tested it) - that's already an improvement

12-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's faster and slightly quieter than my K5.
12-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The K-3 has at least four motors, one of them being the focus motor. From the photos of the K-3's internals I could see two of the motors, which I think were the mirror and aperture motors and they seemed to be ordinary brushed motors, which was somewhat disappointing though I cannot tell for sure. The focus motor I have never seen so I have no idea.
The autofocus noise does not come primarily from the motor but rather from the reduction gear train. That they could make quieter using helical instead of spur gears but that would make it slower and more power hungry. Sort of same reason racing cars use spur gears in the gearbox while road going cars use helical.
12-24-2013, 05:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
The K-3 has at least four motors, one of them being the focus motor. From the photos of the K-3's internals I could see two of the motors, which I think were the mirror and aperture motors and they seemed to be ordinary brushed motors, which was somewhat disappointing though I cannot tell for sure. The focus motor I have never seen so I have no idea.
The autofocus noise does not come primarily from the motor but rather from the reduction gear train. That they could make quieter using helical instead of spur gears but that would make it slower and more power hungry. Sort of same reason racing cars use spur gears in the gearbox while road going cars use helical.
What !! my cameras got a dog box

Merry Christmas