Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-3 and O-GPS. First bug

Yesterday I have bought a new K-3 and this morning have detected a first bug. I have leave the camera (OFF stage) with a O-GPS adapter which was ON (but in the apartment so no visible satellites). After couple of hours I try to use the camera - nothing. I cannot turn it ON and I have removed the accu and restart the camera. I have probed the case next times and have found that the bug is reproducible if I leave the camera for a long time (not for couple of minutes).
Looking for the solutions I have removed the O-GPS and camera immediatly has been turned ON.
Do you have any ideas, colleagues? Does it be the bug or defect in only my camera/adapter?

12-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest you write a long report to your local Pentax dealer/representative. Not a store clerk, but the boss. That way, if it is a bug, Pentax might fix it in a firmware update.
12-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #3

Original Poster
I just have told about this bug to the Russian Pentar office. If they cannot reproduce it tomorrow I will demonstrate this bug in their office.
12-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Grokh Quote
Yesterday I have bought a new K-3 and this morning have detected a first bug. I have leave the camera (OFF stage) with a O-GPS adapter which was ON (but in the apartment so no visible satellites). After couple of hours I try to use the camera - nothing. I cannot turn it ON and I have removed the accu and restart the camera. I have probed the case next times and have found that the bug is reproducible if I leave the camera for a long time (not for couple of minutes).
Looking for the solutions I have removed the O-GPS and camera immediatly has been turned ON.
Do you have any ideas, colleagues? Does it be the bug or defect in only my camera/adapter?
Were you running firmware v1.01?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yes, of course!
12-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Former GPS functions missing on K-3 vs. K-5

I have noticed that, unlike the K-5, the K-3 does not display an electronic compass or a navigation function under the GPS section in the record menu, page 2, bottom of the page, when the GPS is operational. The only options are calibration and astrotracking. It appears these functions that were on the K-5 are missing from the K-3. Maybe by design, I don't know. If it was an oversight, maybe firmware version 1.02 will correct this. Can anyone bring these two functions up? I"m guessing my observation is not unique to this particular K-3 camera.

John
12-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
It appears these functions that were on the K-5 are missing from the K-3. Maybe by design, I don't know.
John
Yes, it is by design. It is described in manual.
12-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Grokh Quote
Sounds similar to the "batteries in both camera and grip" bug reported by several users in another thread.

12-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
I have noticed that, unlike the K-5, the K-3 does not display an electronic compass or a navigation function under the GPS section in the record menu, page 2, bottom of the page, when the GPS is operational. The only options are calibration and astrotracking. It appears these functions that were on the K-5 are missing from the K-3. Maybe by design, I don't know. If it was an oversight, maybe firmware version 1.02 will correct this. Can anyone bring these two functions up? I"m guessing my observation is not unique to this particular K-3 camera.

John
The navigation function has indeed been removed but the compass is still there, it is just accessed in a different way.

Instead of being a menu item it is in the display types, that is in normal mode you press the INFO button and there are the options to have either the status screen, electronic level, display off or compass. I find the quickest way to access it is press INFO button twice and press once the left direction button. The O-GPS has to be switched on otherwise the compass option is greyed out.
12-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #10

Original Poster
The bug is looking more and more disappointed. I cannot turn camera ON even when O-GPS adapter is OFF but still on the camera in hot shoe. And the adapter is warm when on top the camera even both of them are OFF...
12-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
The navigation function has indeed been removed but the compass is still there, it is just accessed in a different way.

Instead of being a menu item it is in the display types, that is in normal mode you press the INFO button and there are the options to have either the status screen, electronic level, display off or compass. I find the quickest way to access it is press INFO button twice and press once the left direction button. The O-GPS has to be switched on otherwise the compass option is greyed out.
I finally discovered that, after digging through the damned instruction booklet. I wonder why the navigation function was not incorporated. Maybe they ran out of firmware space???

Thanks,
John