Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Greeting.......new K3 owner

I am new to this site....and to the K3........after numerous investigations on the internet...i decided on the K3....it seems to be an amazing piece and very exited to get started.......
Steve

12-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums. We love newcomers here, and most of us, if not all, are more than happy to share what limited knowledge we have.
12-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome!
12-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #4

Welcome and enjoy your new K3.

01-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #5

Original Poster
thanks........i appreciate that....and since i am new to the DSLR....i have decided to shoot mostly in manual mode.......we'll see what happens.....
01-03-2014, 03:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome! K3 is on my shopping list!
01-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by southpaw Quote
I am new to this site....and to the K3........after numerous investigations on the internet...i decided on the K3....it seems to be an amazing piece and very exited to get started.......
Steve
Welcome to the forum. Indeed the K-3 is a very capable camera. And precisely because of its capability and flexibility, it is also a complex camera. But a user can choose whatever level of complexity he/she wants with the camera, and gradually increase as he/she develops. So, happy learning and shooting with your K-3! :-)

01-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #8

Original Poster
thank you - i actually made the attempt to upload some initial photos only to realize that the size exceeded the parameters allowed.
01-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by southpaw Quote
thanks........i appreciate that....and since i am new to the DSLR....i have decided to shoot mostly in manual mode.......we'll see what happens.....
AV mode is 98% of my shooting, since from my perspective, the thing that most affects how much I like my pictures is control of DoF. If I set the ISO and ƒ stop, I don't care if the camera sets the shutter speed. But also check out TAV mode, really cool, you set shutter speed and aperture, the camera sets the ISO. Great for moving subjects where you want to freeze the action.

Last edited by normhead; 01-06-2014 at 08:29 AM.
01-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
AV mode is 98% of my shooting, since from my perspective, the thing that most affects how much I like my pictures is control of DoF. If I set the ISO and ƒ stop, I don't care if the camera sets the shutter speed. But also check out TAV mode, really cool, you set shutter speed and aperture, the camera sets the ISO. Great for moving subjects where you want to freeze the action.
thanks for the tip - i certainly will try these modes........there is so much to learn about this camera.....
01-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome! I´m new here as well and the community is very helpful and friendly.
I try to shoot as much as i can in manual, but i really like the TAv mode in bright conditions. I´m not very fast at handling the camera at the moment. With TAv i have a good chance to get some moving things and can concentrate on the focussing. (thats really hard for me, i have to get a feeling for the AFC behaviour first)
01-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #12

Welcome to the Zoo! Since others are recommending shooting modes, I'll chip in too. I personally like the "P" or Program line mode. I've been using it since my first Pentax DSLR the *IST-D. I like it because you can select the program line you want to shoot, such as speed or wide DOF landscape or narrow landscape. when you are in P mode the camera will select the Aperture and Shutter, (iso is statically set by you). If you want to switch to Aperture priority you just adjust the aperture with the back control dial, if you want to switch to shutter priority just adjust the front control dial. If you want to go back to program line just push the green button. I find it very flexible.

Les
01-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I too place much importance on depth of field control and used to shoot almost exclusively in Av mode on my K-7. But I do lots of low light shooting, and sometimes the camera has to choose a really slow shutter speed, causing slight motion blur.

With the K-3, I now more commonly use TAv mode. I set the shutter speed just fast enough to avoid motion blur (typically 1/my lens focal length), then select aperture as appropriate for the desired DOF, and let the camera choose ISO. With the K-3 I dare to this because the noise performance is better than on the K-7.