Does Pentax make the sensor for K3?

12-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
No, Pentax does not make any of their sensors. I believe it is a Sony in the K-3.
12-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Canon , Sony and Samsumg make their sensor but it's not an avantage anymore.
12-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I think it is the Toshiba sensor used in the Sony and Nikon

12-27-2013, 01:39 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-3 has a Sony sensor.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-27-2013, 01:54 AM   #6

There were many talks everywhere and most concluded it's Sony in K3 :-)
12-27-2013, 03:02 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Canon , Sony and Samsumg make their sensor but it's not an avantage anymore.
Canon's sensors were always great, and still are. I still consider them as an advantage over others, although advantage not as significant as it used to be.

A decade ago, when everyone was using "colourful" CCDs in their cameras of all sorts and "precise" CMOSes only in their top of the range devices, Canon was installing their marvellous CMOSes even in their entry level SLRs. This was a huge advantage over others IMO. Today everyone seems to use CMOS everywhere, SONY sensors became really good and the difference between "Canon and the world" in sensors' universe is not that obvious anymore

12-27-2013, 03:34 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Sony sensors are currently better.
12-27-2013, 04:04 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Dariusz Quote
Canon's sensors were always great, and still are. I still consider them as an advantage over others, although advantage not as significant as it used to be.

A decade ago, when everyone was using "colourful" CCDs in their cameras of all sorts and "precise" CMOSes only in their top of the range devices, Canon was installing their marvellous CMOSes even in their entry level SLRs. This was a huge advantage over others IMO. Today everyone seems to use CMOS everywhere, SONY sensors became really good and the difference between "Canon and the world" in sensors' universe is not that obvious anymore
I think it would be easier to check dxomark.com for camera sensors rating. Canon sensors are not winners today
12-27-2013, 04:29 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aquashankar Quote
I think it is the Toshiba sensor used in the Sony and Nikon
??? Sony put a Toshiba in their Sony ???
12-27-2013, 04:49 AM   #11

Original Poster
When it is a 3rd party sensor, is it made to Pentax specs or is it a standard Sony (or whoever made it) drop in sensor?

Doesn't Nikon make its own sensors?
12-27-2013, 05:14 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
??? Sony put a Toshiba in their Sony ???
Sorry, my bad. I was thinking of Sony while typing that. I remembered reading somewhere (cannot confirm) that it was a Toshiba sensor same as one of the Nikon's.

Regarding Canon sensors, I used an SMC Takumar on a Canon 1100D and compared the image to my K100D Super. The Pentax image was better rendered. Again, this is subjective. But Canon does make excellent sensors on their higher end cameras.
12-27-2013, 05:53 AM   #13

When it is a 3rd party sensor, is it made to Pentax specs or is it a standard Sony (or whoever made it) drop in sensor?
Sony provide Pentax with their standard CMOS matrix, i.e. they do not perform its R&D per Pentax specs. However the sensor sandwich (matrix + AA/color filter) is made by Sony at its factories according to the Pentax requirements. Last K-5/3 Pentax cameras use Pentax home developed primary color filter.
12-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Uh, Nope

QuoteOriginally posted by Dariusz Quote

Hello Dariusz,
That sounds suspiciously like something you read on a Canon forum. Unfortunately, practically nobody in the world of independent testing agrees, including DxOMark. In fact, Canon-made sensors are often cited as the weakest part of their cameras, not nearly equal to the best Sonys. I've even seen posts from Canon users asking the maker to switch to Sonys for exactly that reason.
And the reason most cameras now use CMOS sensors is because they are much cheaper to manufacture, require less expensive machining for production and use substantially less battery power for image-capturing. Which is probably why Canon initially used them for their entry level cameras.
You might want to Google 'CMOS and CCD Sensors' and click on a couple of links.
Ron
12-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
the reason most cameras now use CMOS sensors is because they are much cheaper to manufacture, require less expensive machining for production and use substantially less battery power for image-capturing. Which is probably why Canon initially used them for their entry level cameras.
Hi Ron and thanks for your reply.

There is some inconsistency though. Let me take as an example neutral here make of Nikon. In 2006 Nikon was using CCDs across the whole of its range of cameras. Except one - the top of the range, the most expensive D2Xs. It used CMOS. Were they using CMOS because they wanted to save bucks on the most extravagant model of their whole range? I'm not convinced.