Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
External mic recommendations for the K3?

I'm completely new to video as far as dSLRS go but I've read enough to know that the internal mics of most dSLRS are crap......assuming the same goes for the K3.

I'm tasked with recording a video of our horn choir next Saturday and need to get a decent mic for recording wind instruments/brass ensembles.

Are there any recommendations for an external hot-shoe mounted mic for the K3? I've been told to look at Rode and Sennheiser by some colleagues. Budget is < $500, preferably around $200.

Thanx,
Terry

12-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by tlwyse Quote
I'm completely new to video as far as dSLRS go but I've read enough to know that the internal mics of most dSLRS are crap......assuming the same goes for the K3.

I'm tasked with recording a video of our horn choir next Saturday and need to get a decent mic for recording wind instruments/brass ensembles.

Are there any recommendations for an external hot-shoe mounted mic for the K3? I've been told to look at Rode and Sennheiser by some colleagues. Budget is < $500, preferably around $200.

Thanx,
Terry
Shure VP83
12-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #3

I've had a good chance to play with all of the Rode video mics, and each variation has it's place.
For recording a scene that's got various sources (a brass band) you'll want some form of XY stereo setup.
Rode's stereo videomic and the pro version fit the fill, and sit roughly in the price range! The normal video mics will be too directional to get the full range of instruments.
Alternatively, if you have a idevice (iPod or iPhone) the iXY from Rode plugs straight in, records broadcast quality, and you're not limited to placing it where the camera is.
Syncing in post is easy these days, and often worth the trouble
12-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here is a suggestion...

PRO 24-CM Stereo Condenser Microphone || Audio-Technica US

Amazon.com: Audio-Technica PRO24CM Stereo Microphone with Camera Mount: Musical Instruments