Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting comparison. And great to see how 2 different cameras can be used to compliment each other.

12-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I gotta say...the high ISO comparison blew me away. I knew there would be a difference, but I was not prepared for how much. The other thing that surprised me was the side-by-side for the camera bodies. I thought the Df would be a little larger than it is and was totally unprepared for how unattractive the Df body is. It sort of reminds me of some of the former Soviet cameras...

Steve
12-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not that surprised that the DF is that much better than the K-3 at that high of ISO levels. The DF (and D4) is better than a lot of full frame cameras when it gets that high, whereas K-3 seems to be about average for current APS-C crop at ISO 3200+. If there's a reason to buy the camera, besides the retro looks and compatibility with old Nikon lenses, it's that you can get that class leading high ISO performance for less than $3,000.

Still, for me, the DF in this incarnation is a miss, even though a lot of things about it appeal to me more than the other Nikon full frame cameras out now (which is why it's selling well, I imagine, despite being polarizing). If it had a great viewfinder they'd probably have got me with it, despite some other quibbles I have with it, such as it having a 1/4000 shutter.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it, though! A part of me certainly wishes I had the best of both worlds like you do
12-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #19
Pentaxian

The big first impression I drew was the size difference of the bodies. I didn't realise how compact the k3 is in comparison.

Out of interest, how do you find the AF of both cameras in single shot mode at large apertures?

Thanks heaps for the thread, and enjoy both new toys.

12-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I think the Black Df is better looking. But I've had an opportunity to shoot the Df and found like it a lot. I think it would make a good candid and carry around camera. But I really don't get why people say it feels plastic. Probably the internet parroting. It is solid to me but perhaps the skin on it is why.

A test shot from the Df and the new 58/1.4G

Last edited by tuco; 12-29-2013 at 07:40 PM.
12-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Yes, this sensor would be nice in a Pentax camera. But I don't think we will ever see one because 16MP is ..... 16MP. Not quite 24 or 36MP.

And those interested in Nikon Df should start with this: Tested: the 2013 Nikon Df ? Ming Thein | Photographer
"The problem is, there’s a lot of bad, too. Most of it is a comfort/ ergonomic problem:"

I disagree.....I don't like the D800 and especially the D4 for ergonomics, but again, personal preference.
12-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by qblade Quote
Thanks for your comparison of the K3 and the Df. I bought a Df shortly after Thanksgiving with the kit lens, and since then have purchased 3 used Nikkor AIS lenses (24 2.8, 80 2.0, 28-50 3.5) for a grand total of about $600. All the lenses are in excellent condition. My wife and I are going to Vegas on Jan 1st for 7 days, and I plan on using the Df and lenses quite a bit - shooting the Ethel M cactus garden which will be lit with 250,000 Christmas lights, the Venetian's Winter in Venice festival, the Bellagio conservatory and who knows what else. So far I'm having a blast with the camera. I love using the legacy Nikkor glass with this camera.
Looking forward to seeing the pics! I have ordered an AIS fisheye, and am looking forward to using it. I don't want to go crazy with glass though as I have more than enough for Pentax, much of which I'll be letting go as I find myself using only a few.....

12-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I gotta say...the high ISO comparison blew me away. I knew there would be a difference, but I was not prepared for how much. The other thing that surprised me was the side-by-side for the camera bodies. I thought the Df would be a little larger than it is and was totally unprepared for how unattractive the Df body is. It sort of reminds me of some of the former Soviet cameras...
Steve
It's meant to be a repeat of the F2 and I think they have done a good job when comparing cameras.
12-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I'm not that surprised that the DF is that much better than the K-3 at that high of ISO levels. The DF (and D4) is better than a lot of full frame cameras when it gets that high, whereas K-3 seems to be about average for current APS-C crop at ISO 3200+. If there's a reason to buy the camera, besides the retro looks and compatibility with old Nikon lenses, it's that you can get that class leading high ISO performance for less than $3,000.

Still, for me, the DF in this incarnation is a miss, even though a lot of things about it appeal to me more than the other Nikon full frame cameras out now (which is why it's selling well, I imagine, despite being polarizing). If it had a great viewfinder they'd probably have got me with it, despite some other quibbles I have with it, such as it having a 1/4000 shutter.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it, though! A part of me certainly wishes I had the best of both worlds like you do
My thought was that they couldn't release a D4 at half the price...so something had to give. Overall I'm happy...and happier than had I bought a D4.

I am curious about the D800e....for those that are reading this post and are in Victoria, if you have a D800 and want to try the Df..let me know.
12-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
The big first impression I drew was the size difference of the bodies. I didn't realise how compact the k3 is in comparison.

Out of interest, how do you find the AF of both cameras in single shot mode at large apertures?

Thanks heaps for the thread, and enjoy both new toys.
Ironically, I've bought expensive manual focus lens...but that's me! The kit lens hits focus fast.....but as with my largest complaint with AF, not always on what I want it to pick up on, hence my continued view that MF is better for me.
12-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I think the Black Df is better looking. But I've had an opportunity to shoot the Df and found like it a lot. I think it would make a good candid and carry around camera. But I really don't get why people say it feels plastic. Probably the internet parroting. It is solid to me but perhaps the skin on it is why.

A test shot from the Df and the new 58/1.4G

I was torn with the black and silver......it's a toss up. The 58/1.4 looks to be performing really nicely!
12-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #27

Regarding low light AF accuracy

Thanks SteveM for posting this!
I also have the similar situation of picking among K3/D610/DF
I mainly shoot photos of audience in a speech/drama.

Df's high iso noise is amazing, even in the under exposed area. I have to admit that is the only thing attracts me.
Dpreview's DF review states that the AF performance decreases when the light dims. also the DR of DF is narrower than D610(kind of an issue to me...)
Nikon Df Review: Digital Photography Review

If it's not too much to ask, could OP test the low light focus performance of K-3 and DF?
if K-3 still hold its ground against DF in low light AF accuracy, I will just get K-3 and PostProcess the high ISO noise in my computer.

Thank you in advance!
Happy New Year, everyone!!
12-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I think the Black Df is better looking. But I've had an opportunity to shoot the Df and found like it a lot. I think it would make a good candid and carry around camera. But I really don't get why people say it feels plastic.
Did you handle the silver Df or the black one?
The problem w/ the silver is the body is plastic (only the dials are metal). The silver plastic in any DSLR feels plastic...if you've ever held a Canon Rebel, you'd know what I mean.

The Df's sensor is amazingly low noise..no wonder Nikon fans have been clamoring for that sensor in a D800 body
12-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by souless Quote
If it's not too much to ask, could OP test the low light focus performance of K-3 and DF?
if K-3 still hold its ground against DF in low light AF accuracy, I will just get K-3 and PostProcess the high ISO noise in my computer.

Thank you in advance!
Happy New Year, everyone!!
I'm up with family at a resort for the next week, so give me some time and I'll check. My first thought was noticing how the 50mm searches in low light. There is no AF assist lamp and I thing (would need to check) that the K3 has more dynamic range, so it might be better for you. Give me some time and I will report back.....
12-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Did you handle the silver Df or the black one?
The problem w/ the silver is the body is plastic (only the dials are metal). The silver plastic in any DSLR feels plastic...if you've ever held a Canon Rebel, you'd know what I mean.

The Df's sensor is amazingly low noise..no wonder Nikon fans have been clamoring for that sensor in a D800 body
Only the silver.....that's all Kerisdale Cameras had on display, but I was torn between it and black.

One of the good thing about living in Canada, the local stores have a good stock of Canon, Nikon and Pentax on display.... My Silver K3 was purchased locally, as the Df.