Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2013, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gebco Quote
Thanks Ron, I appreciate the work you put into your explanations and posts. I'm looking at upgrading from my K-x to the K-3, mostly for the added control and improved DR and AF. I keep reading how the K-3 hi ISO output isn't that great. Hi ISO is something I really appreciate from my K-x as I do a lot of dance theatre photography and frequently get into the ISO 6400 range. The K-x is relatively good already and cleaning it up in LR3 isn't too difficult.

The attached image is typical of my shooting conditions: lots of DR, white balance all over the place, quick AF needed, and hi ISO. This one was shot at 2.8, 1/500 and ISO 6400.

So my question, even though the files (RAW) may come out noisier than you like, do they clean up fairly easily? I keep wondering if I should look at the K-5ii, but I really want that improved AF on the K-3.
Well I think that K-5 II(s) and K-3 can serve you on that job. That dancescene doesn't look to difficult to me, could do that with the K-01 (and have done dance with the K-01 and FA31mm/FA*85mm).

Cleaning up is very easy, but I guess that LR5 would serve you (and me) better on that task.

QuoteOriginally posted by aaalegre Quote
85 mm nice and sharp
Oh yes...

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Just an FYI in case you don't know it...that's probably because these venues use sodium vapor lamps that rotate the light frequencies. When you run higher shutter speeds shooting sports, you'll catch the lights at different color temps. I have a friend who shoots school auditorium events w/ a D800 and he has the same issues. You can't do much about it unfortunately

The K-01 shots look slightly blown out in comparison to the K-3's but both did a good job.
Thanks for the information, didn't know that technical part, but wasn't surprised by the misfunctioning WB. Well I forgot to underexpose a little on the K-01, since the scene is ful off hi-light and low-light. Could do it a little better in LightRoom, but it's just a snapshot, where others use their smartphone. The red channel is difficult in scenes like this.

12-31-2013, 01:02 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ron,

Thank you for such an excellent real-world report and demonstration of the K-3 (and K-01). You obviously have applied your own skill and expertise to the picture-taking machine. And your summary serves well as a guide to the capabilities of the K-3 in comparison to the K-5.

I loved the action shots of the play, and also of the individual players. Really well done on your part!

When I finally decide to take photos at one of our local ice hockey arenas, I'll review your sports photos for inspiration and tips on technique.

- Craig
12-31-2013, 04:36 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Excellent, I enjoyed them all.
Thanks, Pickles.
12-31-2013, 07:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

As always, nice work Ron. #23. 26 & 27 are my fav's although they are all top notch.

Re' the large file size I suspect that the extra noise of the 24MP sensor contributes to that.

01-01-2014, 08:34 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Ron thanks you again for putting together that report. It helps me a lot in understanding some of the quirks of the K3. This is just my opinion but it seems that a lot of people are complaining about the noise in high iso shots with the K3 probably shouldn't be complaining. If the files clean up so well in post processing using whatever software you use then shouldn't you be happy? Almost everyone picture we take we edit, whether it's a quick WB adjustment or crop and resize we always edit our pictures so if we have to spend a little time processing NR in LR in reward for such lovely pictures then I'm happy.

Ron my favorites are #2, 4, 19, 25, 26,
01-02-2014, 07:39 AM   #21
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
As always, nice work Ron. #23. 26 & 27 are my fav's although they are all top notch.

Re' the large file size I suspect that the extra noise of the 24MP sensor contributes to that.
#26 seems to be the big winner off the whole lot.

QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
Ron thanks you again for putting together that report. It helps me a lot in understanding some of the quirks of the K3. This is just my opinion but it seems that a lot of people are complaining about the noise in high iso shots with the K3 probably shouldn't be complaining. If the files clean up so well in post processing using whatever software you use then shouldn't you be happy? Almost everyone picture we take we edit, whether it's a quick WB adjustment or crop and resize we always edit our pictures so if we have to spend a little time processing NR in LR in reward for such lovely pictures then I'm happy.

Ron my favorites are #2, 4, 19, 25, 26,
Well it would be even nicer if it was better to start with and not everyone has the same tools to deal with noise or experience to do so as I have. However, the K-3 is a fantastic camera and thus making good images is within handreach for everyone.
01-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #22
Veteran Member

So true . I know my skill level is lacking and that's why I'm always seeking to improve them.

01-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Ron
Thanks for sharing the pictures and your AF setting. I am still sorting out various AF options on the K-3. For the volleyball game I might have tried SEL M or SEL L with the center selected versus Auto 9. Any chance you also tried SEL M or SEL L and if so did you notice any difference from Auto 9. I had fairly good results using the SEL options with sports but needed auto 9 for shooting eagles in flight - just not able to get a point on the birds.

I am still learning where to use different auto focus area settings and appreciate your help.
01-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #24
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Hi Ron
Thanks for sharing the pictures and your AF setting. I am still sorting out various AF options on the K-3. For the volleyball game I might have tried SEL M or SEL L with the center selected versus Auto 9. Any chance you also tried SEL M or SEL L and if so did you notice any difference from Auto 9. I had fairly good results using the SEL options with sports but needed auto 9 for shooting eagles in flight - just not able to get a point on the birds.

I am still learning where to use different auto focus area settings and appreciate your help.
I did try the setting with SEL M/L but for volleybal that isn't practical in any way. The action is short, on one place and not moving around wich you want for that setting.
01-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I did try the setting with SEL M/L but for volleybal that isn't practical in any way. The action is short, on one place and not moving around wich you want for that setting.
Thank Ron - just trying to figure out what works best in what situations. All these options are great to have, auto focus is much improved - just trying to know what to use when.
01-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #26
Banned

Original Poster
World Ranking

So this weekend there where qualifying tournament for the World Cup to be held later this year in september/october in Italy. Of these four teams only the Dutch men's team didn't get a ticket for this prestigues tournament that is held every four years. The girls from The Netherlands are going as in 2010, the Belgium lady's are present after their last time in 1978, but they where 3th in the 2012 European Cup and the French team where Lucky to get a ticket. Teams who enter the world cup (totaling off 24 teams) also have an advantage in qualifying for the 2016 Olympics in Rio, since they gather points for their world ranking. In Rio only 12 teams can enter the tournament.
01-06-2014, 06:32 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series Ron . For me #19, 25 & 26 are the favorites, since you also got some nice facial expressions and thus caught emotions in the picture which is a bonus in a good sports picture.
01-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #28
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by andre-mz5 Quote
Great series Ron . For me #19, 25 & 26 are the favorites, since you also got some nice facial expressions and thus caught emotions in the picture which is a bonus in a good sports picture.
Thanks, but #19 is from the men's team

I'm looking into the possabillity to go the the World Cup in Italy, but I have to find someone to buy the pictures, otherwise it's just a vacation.
02-25-2014, 10:40 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ron,

Thanks for the detailed info about the K-3. You may recall, it was your guidance that convinced me to buy a K-5 some years ago; now I have two of them. After reading about your experience with the K-3, I just have to decide whether the better autofocus of the K-3 is worth changing over for.

Bob
04-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I realize that this a somewhat old thread and my comment is far from the point of discussion, but #7 from your original series is...well...very nice.