Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2013, 03:29 PM   #1

Difficulty transferring K-3 firmware update file to SD card

Hello everyone. I just purchased the K-3 and love it! I'm trying to update the firmware but am having difficulty. I went to the website and downloaded the fwdc220b.bin file and put the file on my desktop. The problem I'm having is getting the file onto my 32 Gb SD card. Both the file and the SD card appear on my iMac desktop, but when I drag the firmware file to the SD card it won't accept it. I've tried copying and pasting it into the SD card and that didn't work either. The SD card is new and works fine, as I've already transferred photos from it onto my computer. I made sure the SD card was empty and formatted before trying the firmware update. I also checked to make sure the write protection switch was in the unlocked position (I tried it in both positions with the same result).

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Thank you for your help.

John

12-31-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try copying a different file using the same process. Just to test that the card and reader are functioning.

What do you mean "it won't accept it"? Do you get an error message?
12-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Try copying a different file using the same process. Just to test that the card and reader are functioning.

What do you mean "it won't accept it"? Do you get an error message?
Thanks for your fast reply! I tried another file as you suggested, a jpeg in this case, and that didn't work either which probably means I'm making a very basic mistake, but I don't know what it is. After I drag the files over the SD card on my desktop and release the mouse button the file goes back to its original location on the desktop instead of copying onto the SD card. Same goes when I open the SD card and try to drag or copy onto the root folder that way. I don't get an error message.
12-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by FW Birds Quote
Hello everyone. I just purchased the K-3 and love it! I'm trying to update the firmware but am having difficulty. I went to the website and downloaded the fwdc220b.bin file and put the file on my desktop. The problem I'm having is getting the file onto my 32 Gb SD card. Both the file and the SD card appear on my iMac desktop, but when I drag the firmware file to the SD card it won't accept it. I've tried copying and pasting it into the SD card and that didn't work either. The SD card is new and works fine, as I've already transferred photos from it onto my computer. I made sure the SD card was empty and formatted before trying the firmware update. I also checked to make sure the write protection switch was in the unlocked position (I tried it in both positions with the same result).

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Thank you for your help.

John
Did you format the card to a filesystem that your OS supports? OS X should support just about any filesystem, but you never know!

If you know your way around the terminal, you could also use the cp command (cp {source} {destination}) and see what error is being thrown, if any.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Did you format the card to a filesystem that your OS supports? OS X should support just about any filesystem, but you never know!

If you know your way around the terminal, you could also use the cp command (cp {source} {destination}) and see what error is being thrown, if any.
Hi Adam. I've never used the SD reader on my iMac before today, but I didn't have any difficulty transferring the photos I took on my K-3 to my iMac using Lightroom 5. After I transferred the photos I put the SD card back in the K-3 and formatted the card again which removed the photos. I believe that is what I am supposed to do for the firmware update. I then placed the empty SD card back into the iMac reader and I see the "K-3" disk appearing on my desktop. I'm running OS X 10.9.1 on my iMac. I'm afraid I don't know enough about computers to try the cp command as you suggested.
12-31-2013, 04:26 PM   #6

Original Poster
Success! I went to Apple's disk utility and formatted the SD card there and that allowed me to transfer the K-3 firmware update file to it. From there I just put the SD card into the K-3 and followed the instructions and it worked fine. I'm now running firmware version 1.01. Thank you both for your help!

John
12-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Glad you got it sorted!!!

And welcome to the forums, by the way.
12-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FW Birds Quote
Success! I went to Apple's disk utility and formatted the SD card there and that allowed me to transfer the K-3 firmware update file to it. From there I just put the SD card into the K-3 and followed the instructions and it worked fine. I'm now running firmware version 1.01. Thank you both for your help!

John
Glad you got it sorted out, though I haven't had a problem with my Mac running Snow Leopard writing to cards that were formatted in the K3. I think it's very odd, makes me wonder if I do want to upgrade my computer. I always format my cards in the camera, do it every time I transfer photos to the computer. Oh well, glad you got it worked out.

12-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks again everyone for your help. I'm definitely not a computer expert. For some reason my Mac didn't like the empty card that was formatted in the K-3 for this purpose, but when the same card had photos from the K-3 I had no problem transferring them to my Mac. That is confusing and I don't have an explanation, but my ignorance is vast and I'm glad it all worked out. Looking forward to taking more photos with the K-3!