Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-3 Premium Silver Edition

So how many off these where produced? We had after x-mass some extra K-3 Silvers shipped to The Netherlands and now several stores have them in stock. There are a lot more K-3 Silver here now then we had K-5 Silver before. So my guess is that Ricoh made an extra batch off the K-3 Silver to meet market demand for it. Any thoughts or knowledge on that?

From the K-5 Silver there where 1500 items for the world market and the K-3 should have 2000 off them.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 01-04-2014 at 04:19 AM.
01-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
klh
Site Supporter

Personally I wish they would sell out so I would stop being tempted.
01-03-2014, 07:36 PM - 5 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I christened mine today

01-04-2014, 12:20 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
From the K-3 Silver there where 1500 items for the world market and the K-3 should have 2000 off them.
Could you please explain - 'cause that makes no sense to me.

01-04-2014, 03:03 AM   #5

The understanding given to me by SRS in Watford, UK, was that 2,000 were produced. Of these around 40 were allocated to the UK, with SRS snapping up the majority of them (I questioned why they seemed to have stock when nobody else in the UK did at the time - that explains it).

I must say, I'm pleased with mine so far. The only comment from my 11 year old son was "why have you gone back to one of those old fashioned silver cameras!"
01-04-2014, 04:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ztrejfer Quote
Could you please explain - 'cause that makes no sense to me.
Corrected my typo, the first was K-5 Silver wich had a production off 1500 copy's and the K-3 Silver should have 2000 copy's. So the way I see it I think there are a lot off K-3 Silvers around and in stores and I think they made a second batch off them and produced more then 2000!
01-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
Forum Member

Thought long and hard about the silver one and ended up getting it for reduced price since the store was out of stock but had the website marked as in stock. Got it for 50 dollars more than the black body plus it came with a battery grip. lets just say i was a satisfied customer
01-06-2014, 05:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

How good is the silver paint? Has anyone noticed it scratching off easily?

01-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

It is as good as black finish and still sold out in Australia so I do not know how should I react to extra silver production rumours ?
Nevertheless I love mine..........
01-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
How good is the silver paint?
It was my understanding is that the finish is anodized onto the magnesium shell.

Steve
01-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #11
Pentaxian

It would have to be paint on the plastic parts such as the flash hood and buttons, or is it actually silver plastic? I imagine colour matching would be tricky.
01-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #12
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
How good is the silver paint? Has anyone noticed it scratching off easily?
Mine lives a pretty tough life, always outdoors, often bumping on rocks and whatnot but there are no scratches to date. Even the Grip which is definitely all plastic has held up so I suspect the colouration in embedded and no a paint job.
01-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Like a new car that first little ding happened to my Silver K3 / grip last week end.

It was on my tripod and I had put the camera and the head of the pod into the open back door of my car and was loosening the clamp and it slipped and rolled and bounced on a couple of coats on the seat and hit the step then fell to the blacktop below. Final drop was only a few inched but did cause a ding on the corner on the door end of the grip and came to rest tilted on the grip and the DA 21mm limited lens face down.

Only very slight mark on the lens knurls and the ding on the corner of the grip.

The grip is apparently painted as black shows through. I took a silver marking pen and tried to cover the black and it only partially worked.
I am just a few days past my 77 birthday and have never dropped a camera before. If you live long enough you just may have it happen.

The K3 is probably my last camera. Love it and find it is making me a better photographer by its need for faster shutter speeds or less hand held shots.
Be careful you all.

gary
01-07-2014, 03:41 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorpops Quote
Like a new car that first little ding happened to my Silver K3 / grip last week end.

It was on my tripod and I had put the camera and the head of the pod into the open back door of my car and was loosening the clamp and it slipped and rolled and bounced on a couple of coats on the seat and hit the step then fell to the blacktop below. Final drop was only a few inched but did cause a ding on the corner on the door end of the grip and came to rest tilted on the grip and the DA 21mm limited lens face down.

Only very slight mark on the lens knurls and the ding on the corner of the grip.

The grip is apparently painted as black shows through. I took a silver marking pen and tried to cover the black and it only partially worked.
I am just a few days past my 77 birthday and have never dropped a camera before. If you live long enough you just may have it happen.

The K3 is probably my last camera. Love it and find it is making me a better photographer by its need for faster shutter speeds or less hand held shots.
Be careful you all.

gary
Oh well, things happen....
05-30-2014, 12:28 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well there has to be a new productionrun if they are still available I guess. What I thought very soon after introduction. Well it is a great camera, so buy one when you can.