Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
old lenses

not sure if anyone else had this issue yet.....i had an old PENTAX Me 35mm camera - the lenses i used back then fit the K3 but the camera is not recognizing them and therefore are useless........please advise..... thanks, steve

01-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a menu setting that needs changed.

Read this first: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using...x-dslrs-f.html
01-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #3

Original Poster
thank you........i will check that out immediately....
01-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I use a lot of old manual lenses from the 1970s through 1990s on my Nikon gear -- many are quite good (most old zooms however, are pretty poor). I always encourage people to experiment -- no pain no gain.

M

01-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by southpaw Quote
not sure if anyone else had this issue yet.....i had an old PENTAX Me 35mm camera - the lenses i used back then fit the K3 but the camera is not recognizing them and therefore are useless........please advise..... thanks, steve
My K3 arrives Monday and I cant wait till I use my old lenses. The magic green button does wonders!
01-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #6

Original Poster
ah yes...the old "green button"........enjoy the K3....
01-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
Lens Buying Addict

Since the bulk of my gear is legacy, I've been experimenting extensively with my K-series MF lenses on the K3 and find the metering and focus recognition (the focus censor knows when the focus is sharp at the selected focus point) significantly improved over my K-01 (granted, CDAF). I don't have a K5 so I can't comment on the improvement, but the K3 is very good.

I'm preparing an extensive post on the subject.
01-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm preparing an extensive post on the subject.
Thanks monochrome, I look forward to your post.

01-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #9
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by Namajam Quote
Thanks monochrome, I look forward to your post.
PREVIEW - reserving judgement for further experimentation, so I could change my mind: I suspect the same issues will exist, but not as severly; i.e there will be less need for Exposure Compensation to push or pull the sensor. Focus accuracy will be very good AFA generating the in-focus tone and hexagon. The viewfinder is excellent - judging focus at medium and small aperures is easy. I do not need my glasses, nor do I need a Correction Lens Adapter - first time in 15 years. Narrow DoF is still a challenge. Magnified LV with Focus Peaking is actually probably better for that - cool that is a one-button change. WB is much better. I suspect the new color AF module is helping a lot.

More later. If you bought it for the right things you'll love the camera.
01-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If you bought it for the right things you'll love the camera.
I have a ton of legacy lenses and I'm looking forward to using the focus peaking feature and the faster auto focus for my DA, FA and F lenses. My K5 is a great camera but because of the focus, I miss a lot of shots. Live view is dependable, but I'm not always 100% sure I'm focused even at x8 magnification; the focus peaking feature mode sounds like a great feature.
01-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #11

hello,

since this thread is about older lenses i like to show some images taking with the K-3 in combination with the Pentax-F 1.7x AF Teleconverter with and the Pentax-M 85/2.0 and Pentax-M 200/4.0 old primes. the autofocus works well in this combination.

the images got taken on the graveyard cross the street of my flat and got just decent post processing with darktable (linux). some are high iso. i hope these will work as valid examples for the usage with old equipment in combination with the 1.7x TC.

greeting,

tx0h

85mm (click them for larger images):

200mm (click them for larger images):

01-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #12

Original Poster
nice.......i figured out how to "enable" ...and attached an old 50mm prime - auto-focus worked great......pics were sharp - will post later....