Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Unfortunately, it appears that neither Kirk, Acratech nor RRS offer plates for the K3. This is too bad as I do agree that for vertical shots an L bracket is really the only way to go.
Actually I had intended to type "L Bracket" rather than "plates". Acratech has plates, but no one other than RRS has a custom L bracket for Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
It's amazing that you can have a custom Rolls Royce, High-End acoustic guitar or home done as long as you're willing to spend the cash, but you can't get a simple bracket. CNC has to be employed for RRS to make their products and this would be a way to generate additional income from us.
The K3 is the same width as the K5 family, however the K3 is a bit taller. The K5/II/IIs/7 L Bracket should fit nicely. The only potential problem would be on the left hand side if you need to have cable access. Pentax solved my largest problem with this aspect by moving the external wired shutter release connector to the right hand side of the K5 camera body, so there is no longer an interference issue. That is one reason why I went with the Kirk L Bracket in the first place, since they had a larger opening (on the vertical side of the L Bracket) that accommodated opening the camera body door, in which to plug the shutter release on my old K20.

I am so use to using an L Bracket, I doubt that I would buy a body without a custom one being available.

02-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #17

Has anyone tried to install the RRS BK7-L L plate on the K3? And if so does it or does it not fit?
Measurements I have taken off both the K3 and the K5 Classic appear to be the same with regards to the location of the Tripod mounting insert.
02-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #18

In addition to John's question above, how about the BG5 battery grip? It changed I know from the K-5s. Just got the grip and can't imagine ever taking it off- so nice! We need a L-bracket for the grip!!
02-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This, Pentax K5 Quick Release L-Plate FK5L Arca Compatible - Fittestphoto , works great on K-3 and is available on ebay.

02-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by John4287 Quote
Has anyone tried to install the RRS BK7-L L plate on the K3? And if so does it or does it not fit?
Measurements I have taken off both the K3 and the K5 Classic appear to be the same with regards to the location of the Tripod mounting insert.
I have tested it and although the dimensions are fine, there is a small raised area on the front right part of the bracket that keeps the plate from sitting truly flush to the camera base. You can use it but it isn't optimal and I would caution against tightening it too hard or using a long lens without it's own bracket. An option would be to add a spacer/washer and longer screw to offset the increased thickness. I'm hoping RRS will listen to the demand so please join in and send them a note requesting a custom K3 plate.
02-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
This, Pentax K5 Quick Release L-Plate FK5L Arca Compatible - Fittestphoto , works great on K-3 and is available on ebay.
$100 isn't bad at all.
Could you take a few photos of it on your K-3?
02-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #22

I put in my comment today (in between pre-game Super Bowl activity) about the L-bracket. The Chinese one seems marginal and isn't compatible with battery grip.

02-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
$100 isn't bad at all.
Could you take a few photos of it on your K-3?
L-plate photos
02-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #24
Pentaxian

So it only covers the accessories port? From the photos it looks like that door cannot be opened... and I use the wired remote.
02-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The wired remote is on the other side of the camera.

It is possible to open on the left side, too.
02-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is possible to open on the left side, too.
Meaning you can open the HDMI/USB door?
It does look really tight...not sure why they did that. The rest of it looks pretty well built...the lip that hugs the body is the important part to keep it from moving around.
02-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is made for K-5 and the HDMI/USB door is a little bit smaller on K-5. It is still possible to open the door on K-3.

I have added a picture which shows the door opened. As you can see, it gets bent and I won't recommend left it open for a long time.