Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #16

Original Poster
Guys thank you!

My conclusions so far are:
- i should try out a better card for my current camera
- i will try the K3 in a store :-)

I believe you all that the K3 is a fast camera overall, i just doubted that it would be an upgrade for me in this very specific regard...

In the meantime, i researched if other cameras are doing better.... well they're not.
it seems, what i'm asking for isn't available unless i'm buying the most expensive models from Canikon.

I never thought i would say that but it seems like i have the fastest APSC around :-D

01-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, even on my K5 the class 4 card is below the recommended card speed. I can only imagine how hard the K3 would choke on that thing.
01-03-2014, 06:00 AM   #18
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well probably the K-01 is faster since it runs the PRIME M engine and has 16 megapixel and just 12-bit RAW. There it wins over the K-3 (with just a small buffer).

On cards:
The K-3 handles the 45 MB/s cards fine and there is only marginal improvement with faster cards. Your old classe 4 card is good for retirement.
01-03-2014, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
Guys thank you!

My conclusions so far are:
- i should try out a better card for my current camera
I didn't see where anyone suggested that you needed a faster card for your K10D, rather they said that the K-3 would benefit from the faster cards. I think you need to buy or borrow a fast SD card and go to your favorite camera store to conduct your own tests on a K-3 based on how you use the camera.

01-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #20

Your solution might be to try a K3 set to medium resolution.
01-05-2014, 02:21 AM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
2.6s is normal for a raw file with a 95Mb/s card.
The speed of memory card is written in MB (megabyte), not Mb (megabit). No, 2.6 sec is abnormal because a RAW file of K-3 is "only" 30+ MB, so it must take less than a second to write to a fast enough card.

The problem of the OP is a very slow memory card (15 MB/s only), that's why his K-3 needs more than 2 seconds two write a RAW file (30+ MB) to that card. Just use a faster card (60 MB/s is enough) and the problem is gone.

PS: I don't have a K10D but I guess its RAW file is about 15 MB, that's why it take about one sec to write to that card.
01-05-2014, 05:29 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reltih Quote
The speed of memory card is written in MB (megabyte), not Mb (megabit). No, 2.6 sec is abnormal because a RAW file of K-3 is "only" 30+ MB, so it must take less than a second to write to a fast enough card.

The problem of the OP is a very slow memory card (15 MB/s only), that's why his K-3 needs more than 2 seconds two write a RAW file (30+ MB) to that card. Just use a faster card (60 MB/s is enough) and the problem is gone.

PS: I don't have a K10D but I guess its RAW file is about 15 MB, that's why it take about one sec to write to that card.
Hey thanks for your input
in part you misunderstood me though...
i don't have a k3, and i've never put a slow card in a k3.
instead, i got the time of 2.6 seconds from the pf review: Pentax K-3 Review - Performance and Burst Mode - PentaxForums.com
they used a Sandisk Extreme Pro 95Mb/s

01-05-2014, 06:42 AM   #23
Forum Member

Hey thanks for your input
in part you misunderstood me though...
i don't have a k3, and i've never put a slow card in a k3.
instead, i got the time of 2.6 seconds from the pf review: Pentax K-3 Review - Performance and Burst Mode - PentaxForums.com
they used a Sandisk Extreme Pro 95Mb/s
Ah sorry about that. I was reading too fast...

I have a K-3 but never feel that slowness. Maybe it came with many lens corrections enabled (which I never use), or just because the camera is not blocked between shots so I am unaware.
01-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
A few years ago, I bought 3 32GB Sandisk Ultra's for my K-5 after almost running out of memory while traveling in Africa. I thought that would solve things "once and for all". While the amount of memory was more than enough, I found that, while shooting birds in hi-speed continuous in Iceland, I had to wait for the better part of a minute before the buffer cleared. It turned out that these Ultra's really weren't any faster than a cheap no-name card I had lying around. So I tried SanDisk Extremes and the time to clear the buffer went down to something like 20 seconds. I have stuck with them ever since.

If I used my K-5 like you do, shooting a total of 12 photos in 4 seconds, that means the buffer is filled for 50%. So I think it would take about 10 seconds to clear completely, not even taking into account that the camera will already have started writing to the card during those 4 seconds.

K-3 files are bigger, but I think you can be sure that it will make a difference.
01-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I definitely would use faster (and bigger) cards on a K3 than on a K10. Files can be really big, but it definitely is a lot speedier than any previous camera, including K5 and K10.
01-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reltih Quote
Ah sorry about that. I was reading too fast...

I have a K-3 but never feel that slowness. Maybe it came with many lens corrections enabled (which I never use), or just because the camera is not blocked between shots so I am unaware.
:-) no problem, thanks for helping

no, the camera is not blocked, only the play mode is... you can take another shot right away but you have to wait for the image to be displayed.

if you have some time on your hands, would you try out for me on your K3 how much times passes between
- taking just one shot (in Raw, with NR & lens corrections disabled)
- and the image showing up on the back screen?

Greetings
Micha
01-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
f you have some time on your hands, would you try out for me on your K3 how much times passes between - taking just one shot (in Raw, with NR & lens corrections disabled) - and the image showing up on the back screen?
1.07s with an Extreme Pro, K3 & raw. There'll be a reaction time component in there.

Dan.
01-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
1.07s with an Extreme Pro, K3 & raw. There'll be a reaction time component in there.

Dan.
Nice!! Thanks Dan!

And 1 sec ist much better than the 2.6 sec from the PF review (and my K10D in fact)!
I wonder why they got that much a worse result in the review... is it just because they left the lens correction on? Adam, you know anything about this?

PS Dan, just to make shure... you took a real, well exposed picture, not just blackness with the lens cap on, right? because i think an underexposed image could be smaller in file size
01-05-2014, 11:34 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice!! Thanks Dan!

PS Dan, just to make shure... you took a real, well exposed picture, not just blackness with the lens cap on, right? because i think an underexposed image could be smaller in file size
Michael, no it wasn't a lenscap-on shot.

I've been out this afternoon. When I've come back and saw your new message, there's a big dark thunderstorm on, so I'm having to use flash for a followup test session. With P-TTL preflash, which may be a fraction slower, I'm seeing a duration now of 1.15s from pressing the shutter release button (taking a raw flash picture of my kitchen) to having it appear on the review screen.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 01-06-2014 at 01:13 AM.
01-06-2014, 05:03 AM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Michael, no it wasn't a lenscap-on shot.

I've been out this afternoon. When I've come back and saw your new message, there's a big dark thunderstorm on, so I'm having to use flash for a followup test session. With P-TTL preflash, which may be a fraction slower, I'm seeing a duration now of 1.15s from pressing the shutter release button (taking a raw flash picture of my kitchen) to having it appear on the review screen.

Dan.
Ok perfect
thank you!
Micha