Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2014, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #1
Mr_Canuck

K3 DSLR of the Year at DPR

DPReview readers named it the best DSLR of 2013. Pretty good show.

Read here.

01-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I personally agree, how is it possible a Pentax wins what is essentially a popularity contest? If I were a Canon or Nikon voter I would be wondering about where the 2,500 K-3 votes came from.............

Loved this comment: "Congrats to both Pentax shooters out there on their new found validation."

And this one: " the capable, innovative K-3 was your pick for best DSLR/SLT of 2013 by a landslide. Which probably means we should get going with our full review, right? We'll get right on it." Yeah, you do that.
01-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #3

• Canon EOS 100D / SL 14.0%
  • Canon EOS 700D / Rebel T5i 0.8%
  • Canon EOS 70D 16.3%
  • Nikon Df1 5.4%
  • Nikon D610 9.5%
  • Nikon D5300 1.4%
  • Nikon D7100 15.9%
  • Pentax K-3 31.4%
  • Pentax K-50 1.0%
  • Pentax K-500 0.4%
  • Sony SLT-A58 3.9%
Total votes: 8054
01-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #4

Pentax win a popularity contest??
Who would have thought!

Excellent!!

01-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
While I personally agree, how is it possible a Pentax wins what is essentially a popularity contest? If I were a Canon or Nikon voter I would be wondering about where the 2,500 K-3 votes came from...
Stop wondering because had the "other" crowd voted with the same enthusiasm as the Pentax crowd allegedly did Pentax would have come a distant last. Which means a fair number of "them" must have voted for Pentax or perhaps they did not think their gear was worthy voting for.

It also means Pentax can never get it right even when they get it right. Pentax is doomed.

Greetings
01-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

how is it possible a Pentax wins what is essentially a popularity contest?
When I read through the comments last week, it seemed like there were quite a few folks willing to jump overboard because their own brand hadn't given them what they wanted this year. Nikon was hurt by their vote being split between the Df and the D7100 (edit: and D610), and I think a lot of Canon voters just wanted to make sure the Df wouldn't win.

For the unaffiliated voters, it couldn't have hurt that Chris Niccolls of TheCameraStore called the K-3 "the best SLR on the market right now (in this sensor size)".

Last edited by THoog; 01-03-2014 at 06:01 AM.
01-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
perhaps they did not think their gear was worthy voting for.
I'm guessing they all assumed they would win and the other guy would vote. But "all two Pentax shooters" must have been really, really busy voting. LOL
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Pentax is doomed.
True.......

01-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #8

Vote early vote often -- well done forum members
01-03-2014, 03:03 AM   #9

......" the capable, innovative K-3 was your pick for best DSLR/SLT of 2013 by a landslide. Which probably means we should get going with our full review, right? We'll get right on it." Yeah, you do that.
Quite so. Get right on it? I should bl@@dy well think so! If the K3 hadn't won this poll, would it have ever been reviewed? It's the top camera in the range from a well established company and should have been reviewed months ago, and at the rate DPR were going it would have been superceded before they looked at it!

Yes, I've been waiting for their review, so that I can choose between buying either a K3 or a K5ii (Drums fingers on desk impatiently)
01-03-2014, 03:13 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Their review will be so biased as to be unusable, so why do you factor it in to your process?
01-03-2014, 04:34 AM   #11
CDW
Site Supporter

I'm not sure why so many people still take DPR reviews, or lack of them, so seriously, as if they are the Holy Grail of photography reviews. They are not. DPR, along with DXOMark, Imaging-Resource, and any number of other sites, offer enough viewpoints on any given product that one can pretty much get a real sense of a camera's worth. You don't have to wait for DPR to give it a blessing. And I personally find the comparison image files from Imaging-Resource to be far more useful than the new studio scene at DPR.

As for why the K3 did so well in the poll...as someone else suggested, perhaps Canikon users are tired of not getting quite what they wanted or expected and took it out on Canikon by voting Pentax. It's hard to say how many of the K3 improvements were in the pipeline before the Ricoh acquisition or how much Ricoh engineering had a hand in the improvements but regardless, it really is a superb camera. I've owned six Canon DSLRs over the years plus I've been able to shoot with any number of Nikons and they've all had some shortcomings but the K3 comes as close as I've experienced to being a near perfect DSLR, video performance not withstanding. The DPR poll got it right.

Last edited by CDW; 01-03-2014 at 04:37 AM. Reason: typo
01-03-2014, 04:40 AM   #12
CDW
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Robot camera Quote
Quite so. Get right on it? I should bl@@dy well think so! If the K3 hadn't won this poll, would it have ever been reviewed? It's the top camera in the range from a well established company and should have been reviewed months ago, and at the rate DPR were going it would have been superceded before they looked at it!

Yes, I've been waiting for their review, so that I can choose between buying either a K3 or a K5ii (Drums fingers on desk impatiently)
I debated the K5IIs vs K3. The K5IIs improvements were incremental. The K3 improvements were far more substantial, particularly in the areas of resolution, writing speed and AF. When the K3 got to within $300 of the K5IIs over the holidays, it was a no brainer.
01-03-2014, 04:41 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Seriously, who buys a dslr to shoot video? Perhaps I'm the anomaly, but I'd rather have a camera that takes great pictures at the expense of video. I'd rather NOT compromise still photograph image quality for ANY video improvements. Sure. If video CAN be improved without compromising still image quality, go right ahead.
01-03-2014, 05:52 AM   #14
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well we won!!!!!! And I think it is good that the K-3 came out on first place since only the Canon eos 100D is a real new competitor and others are just revamps. No D400 and no 7D Mark II in 2013. The Df is a joke and some others are just minor uogrades.
01-03-2014, 05:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

It deserved it!
the canikon voters voted for k3 based on the features which k3 has but Iam sure many of them will buy it if they hold the camera.
I know many nikon guys switched to pentax when they tried k5 series in real life.