Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2014, 04:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The aborted champion

On another thread, I've posted a small statistics about the number of aborted acquisition declared by the participants on DPReview poll. And I believed that the champion was Sony A7R, with 31% rejections vs owners.

I was wrong. Not by my fault, but because DPR choose to display the numbers on a detached page. Way they did so? I will keep the enigma for a while.

So, to satisfy my curiosity, and maybe for someone use, I will post another statistics. I will include DSLR and some mirrorless camera, which gain some interest in this forum. I will not include cameras for which the numbers are to small, under 100, and cannot be relevant.

And The Winner of The Aborted Acquisition Championship is;

1. Nikon Df - 58.4% (118/69)

2. Sony A7R - 31.3% (166/52)

3. Sony A7 - 26.4% (170/45)

4. Canon 100D - 15.4% (175/27)

5. Olympus OM-D E-M1 - 14.4% (608/88)

6. Nikon D610 - 11.2% (107/12)

7. Pentax K-3 - 8.8% (214/19) A very sharp, and strange increase from 7.2% yesterday.

8. Nkon D7100 - 8.2% (671/55)

9. Canon 70D - 6.5% (399/26)

10. Canon 700D - 2.5% (119/3)

And the page where the performance of the champion was displayed:

Nikon Df review: A classic remade?: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 01-03-2014 at 09:28 AM.
01-03-2014, 05:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think that a disclaimer is needed.

I don't have anything against Nikon, or Sony, or any other camera manufacturer. Every organization can make bad evaluations.

But I'm pissed off by people who try to fake, or hide the reality.

Look at DPReview poll page. Just looking at the front picture, you can think that the best DSLR is Nikon Df.

Have Your Say: Best DSLR / SLT of 2013: Digital Photography Review

Look at the comparison tool, low light, and add Pentax K-3. What kind of lights, or settings did they use for Pentax K-3, to make those yellow images, totally different than those from other cameras.

Nikon Df Review: Digital Photography Review

This is not informing, is misleading.

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 01-03-2014 at 05:44 AM.
01-03-2014, 06:11 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
This is not informing, is misleading.
It's DPR. Anyone surprised?
01-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

" aborted acquisition " means?

01-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What is "Best"? In the case of the Df, they are talking about image quality/pixel count. But IQ is not the whole picture. I've seen a few reviews of the Df and they're generally not good. I wouldn't by one. It's a fail as far as I'm concerned. I wonder why the K3 is as high as it is?
01-03-2014, 08:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
" aborted acquisition " means?
I'm not sure but I think it means that they bought the camera, didn't like it and returned it.

NaCl(leastwise that's what the words mean)H2O
01-03-2014, 08:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I'm not sure but I think it means that they bought the camera, didn't like it and returned it.

NaCl(leastwise that's what the words mean)H2O
Yeah, that's how I was leaning... but wasn't sure.

01-03-2014, 08:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
On DPR poll is a section where participants can specify if they have a certain camera, or they want, or they had it. Because there are only new cameras in this poll, launched on the market in 2013, and some only 2-3 month before year's end, the logical conclusion is that those people who ''had'' a camera, returned to stores, or sell it because was not satisfied with it. Selling it for an upgrade is unlikely. First, I call it rejection, but another forum member inspired me to call it aborted acquisition.

Maybe it sounds harsh, but I thought that is more relevant to the situation.
01-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
On DPR poll is a section where participants can specify if they have a certain camera, or they want, or they had it. Because there are only new cameras in this poll, launched on the market in 2013, and some only 2-3 month before year's end, the logical conclusion is that those people who ''had'' a camera, returned to stores, or sell it because was not satisfied with it. Selling it for an upgrade is unlikely. First, I call it rejection, but another forum member inspired me to call it aborted acquisition.

Maybe it sounds harsh, but I thought that is more relevant to the situation.
Rejection is better, IMO.

"Aborted Acquisition" sounds/means they were on the way to the store to buy it and got a flat tire, gave up and went home. The "acquisition" of the camera was "aborted".

Since they did actually acquire the camera, they then rejected it as you originally called it. But regardless now you've defined the term, we at least know what you meant.