Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter

K3 vs K5-II

I am currently using a K5 with a K7 as backup. I do a lot of available light photography, especially of fast-moving flamenco dancers in dark nightclubs. For those who have tried both, is the focusing speed and accuracy in a situation such as the latter one any better with the K3 over the K5-II? Your answers will help to decide my upgrade path (and cost of such).

01-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I think, considering that you have a k-5, you'd be likely to be best served by upgrading to a k-3. If I were in your position & had available funding, I'd sell the k-7, buy the k-3 & use the k-5 as backup.
01-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
cpk
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, dansamy, for your reply. Part of the reason for my question is that, since I have grips for both, if I upgraded to a K5-II, I could move the K7 grip to the K5-II and convert the K7 to infrared. Upgrading to a K3 would not allow the transfer of the grips and would entail the additional cost of a new grip and backup batteries (I think) as well as the higher price of the camera body. But if the K3 is much better than the K5-II at low-light focusing speed and accuracy, this would not matter; I would do the upgrade to the K3 regardless of cost differences. I also have a pair of KatzEye focusing screens, but this is not a factor.

I need feedback from those who have tried both the K3 and K5-II and can tell me of their experiences in this regard.
01-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

The k-3 is just plain old outta my budget. From what I've read, the differences are significant & worthwhile for many shooters.

On another note, I hate when manufacturers pull that battery stunt. It feels straight up like a cash grab by forcing you to buy new accessories. It's one reason why I'm not enamored by Apple. Most Android products have used the same micro-usb for years. There's a few rougue tablet makers. They're easy enough to avoid.

01-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
especially of fast-moving flamenco dancers in dark nightclubs.
:O Why havent I seen your photographs in the post photos forum?
01-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I stepped up to the II from my K-5 classic while it awaits service. I can say that the AFc refreshes more frequently, and it can shoot in the dark as far as I can tell. I'm really impressed, even though it's doing just what I read it could do. Sure I'd love the K-3 for other reasons, but the budget barely said the II could be managed at the B-Friday price; I'm very happy with this 'minor' upgrade as it addresses my needs very well. I've no experience with the K-3 to share, but no doubt it's as good and it has the additional AF points in play, including two more f/2.8-sensitive ones.

link to my 'impossible' low-light shot
01-04-2014, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #7
cpk
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Na Horuk, I don't normally past my pictures on this site. Here is a sample done with my K20D (long gone).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/14-general-talk/108803-some-people-annoy-...ml#post1125359
01-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
The k-3 is just plain old outta my budget. From what I've read, the differences are significant & worthwhile for many shooters.

On another note, I hate when manufacturers pull that battery stunt. It feels straight up like a cash grab by forcing you to buy new accessories. It's one reason why I'm not enamored by Apple. Most Android products have used the same micro-usb for years. There's a few rougue tablet makers. They're easy enough to avoid.
To consider - first, the batteries are the same. You can use what you have. The grip IS different. However if you could live with putting extra batteries in your pocket for a while, eventually there will be a third party solution you could consider.

I was "impatient" and not only pre-ordered the K-3, but also the grip. So what happens just before Christmas? The Pentax webstore offers the K-3 with a FREE grip! Point being if you are not in hurry you can probably get a grip fairly reasonably.