Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3, Steep Learning Curve from K20D.

I never expected such a difference between the two. I believe I am getting more comfortable and my shots are improving. One of the best pieces of advice is turning off both high-iso noise reduction and slow-speed noise reduction. I shoot exclusively raw and do my nr in lightroom.

01-04-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
I never expected such a difference between the two. I believe I am getting more comfortable and my shots are improving. One of the best pieces of advice is turning off both high-iso noise reduction and slow-speed noise reduction. I shoot exclusively raw and do my nr in lightroom.
There's certainly a big difference in the control layout, which was even somewhat overwhelming when I switched from the K20D to the K-7 back when it came out. The K-3's interface is even more complex, so I can only imagine- but at the end of the day, I hope you'll agree that Pentax have made lots of great improvements all over the place

Slow shutter speed noise reduction only kicks in very long exposures and I recommend keeping it on when shooting for 60s or more.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I agree, I just got a K3 myself and I can believe the difference form my K20. It sure is fun learning a new body though.
01-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
FWIW: I find a steep learning curve for the K-3 moving from the K5 IIs.

Hang in there, you'll figure it out...

Cheers... M

01-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
Lens Buying Addict

Interesting you should say that. Perhaps the K-01 and Q in between have helped, but I'm impressed how familiar the K3 is coming from a K10D. Other than the placement of the AF button, which is fairly frustrating, and the presence of the LiveView button, operating the K3 seems almost too natural.

[EDIT] I just spent two minutes looking at the back of the camera, searching for the control to change the ISO. Of course it is on top, just in front of the top LCD. I haven't used a top LCD, or frankly any buttons on top, other than the K-01 Green and Red buttons, in two years. While I don't call this a fault of the camera it was frustrating.

I suspect it will take many months of use at my release rate to become comfortable with my K3 - and if I want to shoot with my K-01 or Q just for fun, or for a casual outing, I imagine there will be some minor frustration there as well.

I'm not sure there is an answer - just an observation.

OTOH, when I get a release at 1/125 or 1/250 the <snick> is positively sublime. I was once watching a Blu-Ray video recording of the Canterbury Cathedral a'capella Boys' Choir. Right in the middle there was a crashing shutter release off camera. It was really a horrible interruption - just one release - I swear it had four distinct beats - ruined the entire recording. Damned Canon.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-05-2014 at 02:29 PM.
01-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Interesting you should say that. Perhaps the K-01 and Q in between have helped, but I'm impressed how familiar the K3 is coming from a K10D. Other than the placement of the AF button, which is fairly frustrating, and the presence of the LiveView button, operating the K3 seems almost too natural.
I could see your frustration if you came from a K-5 variant, but coming from a K-r, the AF button on the K-3 feels a lot more natural. My frustration with the AF button is when I have the grip on. The green button on the camera is in the same relative location as the AF button on the grip so I get confused switching from portrait to landscape and keep hitting the green button when I want to focus!
01-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
Coming from the K20D to the K-3 via a Canon 7D (and 5D MK2), there have been many changes in interface and shooting practice that I have found challenging. A lot of this stuff is quite subjective, and unfortunately I think that the K-3 is a few notches inferior to the K20D in user interface including button location and menu navigation. I find myself fighting the camera to do basic functions, which is not a good thing.

While the K-3 images are better than what I generally get from the 7D, Canon seems to have mastered controls (including user configurability) for operating a complex camera better than Ricoh has. Quite honestly I never thought I would have written this four years ago when I added the 7D because, as I still find the K20D to be superior to hold and use. But that was then.

Sadly, now that the newness factor of the K-3 is diminishing for me, for recreational shooting I find myself grabbing the 7D instead because it is more satisfying to use. Hopefully the next iteration of Pentax DSLRs will have re-engineered menus and redesigned layout of buttons.

M
01-06-2014, 06:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I felt that way too, but mainly because of the buttons placement and added functions. Now I have my K-3 firmly under control, I can touch most buttons without taking my eye off the viewfinder, and I'm getting amazing results.