Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Raw Converter - Iridient Developer vs PhotoNinja vs Adobe Camera Raw

Hello
I have tested the new version of Iridient Developer 2.3.2. I wanted to know if this Raw Converter gives better detail than Photo Ninja or Adobe Camera Raw.
Well, I was surprised how well Iridient Developer decoded my DNG file of the Pentax K-3 with FA 31/f1.8.
In addition, there are many refined setting. The people of Iridient Digital have done a very good job.

With this link you can download the file from dropbox.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mzxluxhf3xjq65/Iridient_PhotoNinja_AdobeCameraRaw.png

image: ISO100, 1/15, f7.1 with tripod
From left to right: Iridient - Photo Ninja - AdobeCameraRaw.

I do not use Sharpening tools from Photoshop or other. Only the Sharpeningtools from the above mentioned raw-converter.

The details of the cactus is best in Iridient. Also, the denoising is excellent. Photo Ninja is good but give not so fine details as Iridient. Adobe CameraRaw is worst, unfortunately.

My default RAW converter will be Iridient 2.3.2!

I hope someone makes the same experience?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mzxluxhf3xjq65/Iridient_PhotoNinja_AdobeCameraRaw.png

01-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Iridient Developer used to be called Raw Developer. It has been around for several years and has always been considered about the top raw processor for Macs, especially in revealing shadow detail. I have always used Lightroom and prefer that for the whole workflow, but will sometimes throw a challenging image into Iridient with good results. Indeed, a good tool.

M
01-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have tested and used all three extensively. Photo Ninja is the clear winner in terms of detail and sharpness, as is evident in your own samples, although I fully expect some ACR devotees to insist that their raw convertor is the best. Also, once you become familiar with Photo Ninja, it is the easiest and fastest for getting results. Work with it for about a week, and I think that you will begin to understand what I mean. Learn the presets and the adjustment tools, which are somewhat different than in other programs. Neither PN nor Iridient Developer has local adjustments, printing etc, so you will need a secondary editor for those functions. I use Photoshop, but Lightroom might serve the same purpose.

Rob
01-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I have tested and used all three extensively. Photo Ninja is the clear winner in terms of detail and sharpness, as is evident in your own samples, although I fully expect some ACR devotees to insist that their raw convertor is the best. Also, once you become familiar with Photo Ninja, it is the easiest and fastest for getting results. Work with it for about a week, and I think that you will begin to understand what I mean. Learn the presets and the adjustment tools, which are somewhat different than in other programs. Neither PN nor Iridient Developer has local adjustments, printing etc, so you will need a secondary editor for those functions. I use Photoshop, but Lightroom might serve the same purpose.

Rob
Thanks Rob
Yes, you're right. Photo Ninja is very good and have more adjustment tool then Iridient. For end-developping I use Photoshop or Lightroom. Generally, I use PhotoNinja because it works great for moiré! Fortunately, iridient and PhotoNinja give the possibilty to export TIFF-file! So, at least I can do my last adjusment in Lightroom or Photoshop!
AdobeCameraRaw works very good for "older" Digicam. The newest digicam with no alisiang filter sensor it is not so great! Therefore, you can use an other raw-converter.

01-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #5

Original Poster
An image developped with iridient and downsized to 900 pixel in photoshop CS6.
For better image quality: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/5svfmca91stx38w/9KRRqQCT-_

Last edited by jeanpierre; 01-07-2014 at 08:44 AM. Reason: link to dropbox for better image quality
01-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

my comparison of PhotoNinja vs DxO Optics pro on my Nikon and Pentax RAW files: DxO is vastly superior in shadow detail, noise reduction without smearing, and lens correction. PhotoNinja offers better extreme blown out highlights (e.g sunsets). If you are like me and underexpose your images, DxO will always win. If however, you tend to over-expose then PhotoNinja definitely does some extremely clever stuff to pull out that last bit of detail out of extreme highlights.

Michael
01-08-2014, 01:32 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
my comparison of PhotoNinja vs DxO Optics pro on my Nikon and Pentax RAW files: DxO is vastly superior in shadow detail, noise reduction without smearing, and lens correction. PhotoNinja offers better extreme blown out highlights (e.g sunsets). If you are like me and underexpose your images, DxO will always win. If however, you tend to over-expose then PhotoNinja definitely does some extremely clever stuff to pull out that last bit of detail out of extreme highlights.

Michael
Many thanks Michael
I have not tested DxO Optics pro till yet! Because it not support the Pentax K-3. But, now with the version 9 it will. I will try it! But, I do not know, how good DxO optics pro 9 develope the K-3 with no aliasing-filter sensor!?.
Therefore, I prefere PhotoNinja.
By the way, I am an "underexposere shooter". When highlight is clipped..... is clipped... and away.
The neawer Sensor, for exemple Sony 24 MP or 36MP, works great with underexposing! I shoot with my Nikon D800 always -1EV to -3EV and with Lightroom a could correct them, without much noise!
Maybe, I will try "ETTR" (exposer to the right = overexpose) with my K-3!
Jean Pierre
01-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote

Michael
I have much experience with DxO and have given v9 a good workout in comparing it to Photo Ninja v1.2 as well as to other raw convertors. My observation is that DxO tends to boost shadows excessively, often creating an HDR look that I find unpleasant. Photo Ninja, on the other hand, can reveal shadow detail without much lightening, thus maintaining global contrast. Also, in PN, you may need to adjust Illumination in conjunction with Shadows to get the shadows just right. One learns to do this with practice.

As far as lens correction is concerned, Photo Ninja has a very neat tool in the Distortion and Geometry module that allows you to create a custom lens distortion filter for any lens. It does require a bit of effort initially, but after that, the filter will always be available. The tool itself is very simple and elegant and not intimidating.

Rob

01-14-2014, 12:21 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I have much experience with DxO and have given v9 a good workout in comparing it to Photo Ninja v1.2 as well as to other raw convertors. My observation is that DxO tends to boost shadows excessively, often creating an HDR look that I find unpleasant. Photo Ninja, on the other hand, can reveal shadow detail without much lightening, thus maintaining global contrast. Also, in PN, you may need to adjust Illumination in conjunction with Shadows to get the shadows just right. One learns to do this with practice.

As far as lens correction is concerned, Photo Ninja has a very neat tool in the Distortion and Geometry module that allows you to create a custom lens distortion filter for any lens. It does require a bit of effort initially, but after that, the filter will always be available. The tool itself is very simple and elegant and not intimidating.

Rob
Thanks Rob
I agree and thanks for the good tipp with the lens correction tool in PhotoNinja. Yersteday, I tried DxO Pro 9 and I was very disappointed about the result in comparisation to Photo Ninja! Of course, I do have to say that I tested it with my Pentax K-3 and not other Pentax digicam! This is important to know! Maybe DxO Pro 9 works fine with K-5 and other!!!! So, do try yourself!

By the way. My workflow is first Iridient Devoleper (export as Tiff16bit), second PhotoNinja (export as Tiff16bit) and finishing in Lightroom or Photoshop! You have to learn which Raw-Converter works great for what! With that "TRIO" you will have amazing image and can do anything you want! But, it gives you hugh Megabit-files! When I see, what I can put out of the K-3 with "older" lenses on my K-3 is awesome!

So, try yourself! Sometimes it is not necessairy to buy the neast digicam! Invest in good Raw-Converter and find out how you have to put the settings of the software! It cost you a lot of time! Afterthat you will know which software you have to use for what you want.
08-25-2014, 09:17 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I have not used DXO Pro, but I have used a number of others. I have fallen in love with the latest version of Photoninja. At first, I hated the fact that it was slow and does not like to edit photos over the wireless network. However, not only are the results superior to ACR and others, but the decisions it makes about color, shadows, highlights and exposure right out of the box were closer to mine. I use selections and adjustments in PS far less. So far, this is my pick of the lot.

Last edited by GeneV; 08-25-2014 at 12:09 PM.
08-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeanpierre Quote
I tried DxO Pro 9 and I was very disappointed
DxO takes some getting used to. Like all of these RAW packages, good results never jump automatically out of them.

Now you have to try Capture One 7 Especially if you like detail extraction.
08-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
DxO takes some getting used to. Like all of these RAW packages, good results never jump automatically out of them.

Yes, especially as there is a 50% off offer on CO1 right now, and their latest version has a proper K3 v2 profile, whereas the first K3 profile was a very poor adaption of the K5 profile. Raising a support case has helped.

Chris
08-28-2014, 05:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

Agreed, but actually, the thing I liked about Photoninja over ACR, was that what jumped out was closer to a good result.