Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2014, 11:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is K-3 rear AF button awkward?

On my K20D and now K-5, I've used the rear AF button for auto-focusing. However, I notice on photos of the K-3 that it's now higher, and it doesn't appear to be an 'easy reach' for my right thumb. Is this truly the case, or does it feel as 'right' to press this button on the K-3 as on the other two I mentioned?

01-06-2014, 11:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Never used it before except to autofocus in live view... Now I love it and think it's in a great position on the K-3. I can find it without looking, it's awesome.
01-07-2014, 12:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I hate, hate, hate the placement of the AF button on my K20d, it's was too low and off to the side. I think the placement on the K-3 is one of the strongest selling points of that camera. I have AF on half press of the shutter disabled because I don't want the camera to refocus, but I really want the AF button to fall right under my thumb and it just doesn't on the K20d. And there is no AF button on the batter grip, so in portrait orientation, one must reach WAY over to the body to activate the AF.
01-07-2014, 12:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
Never used it before except to autofocus in live view... Now I love it and think it's in a great position on the K-3. I can find it without looking, it's awesome.
Have to agree - never really used it due to placement, always a bit awkward. However on K3 it is excellent.

Kevin

01-07-2014, 12:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I think it's too high on the K-3.
01-07-2014, 01:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm wondering about the same. On the K-3 it is located much closer to the rear dial, and as such is probably easier to reach than on previous cameras. However, on these previous cameras the AF-button sits closer to the 4-way controller. If you're used to selecting AF points manually (like me) this "old" position might have been more practical. If not, the new position is much better without doubt.

Disclaimer: I still don't have my K-3, thanks to Ricoh dumping the local independent Pentax distributor (who admittedly didn't do the greatest job) and still not having put in place its replacement. My local store currently does not seem to be able to get any new Pentax gear because of this...

Wim
01-07-2014, 01:36 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
I really love it as well. It was one of the first things i got used to as a new pentax user. Disabling the half press focus of the shutter button gave me more control over my focus. (I think)
01-07-2014, 04:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

It is just above the natural resting spot for my thumb. I just roll my thumb up to hit it. Works very well. On the K5 I would by mistake hit the green button, so I didn't use rear button AF. On the K3 that is how I use it.

01-07-2014, 05:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The short stints I've had with the K-3 had my thinking the same, it's too far up. I got short fingers and small palms and I can see that for people with bigger hands it may be good, but for me the K-5 placement is easier to use.
01-07-2014, 05:14 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I'm now using AFS.C hold the AF button to focus and keep focus. Then just press shutter when ready. Awesome tip. Many more keepers.
01-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I just bought the K3 and I have never used that button before. What do you guys use it for?
01-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I find it far more awkward than my K-r. On the K3, my thumb wants to rest just between the AF and AE-L buttons.
01-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
I just bought the K3 and I have never used that button before. What do you guys use it for?
Instead of using the shutter button half press to focus, use the AF button to focus. If you are set to continuous focus and trying to focus on something in a busy scene then you can find focus and let go to hold it. Or focus then reframe. It takes a bit of practice to make it natural, but it works.
01-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

When available I disable half-press focus right away.

It always takes me a few weeks to retrain the muscle memory for new button placements. What has me messed up right now is my transition camera from the K10 to K3 wasn't the K5 or K30. It was the K-01 for the LiveView and focus peaking.

On the one hand I have a LOT of retraining to do just relearning to use a viewfinder and hitting buttons without looking at them. On the other hand when LiveView is the right way to shoot it feels very natural.

P.S. - The K3 viewfinder and diopter adjustment is the best I've ever used on a camera. I can keep my glasses off and I don't need a correction adapter.

Best of both worlds?
01-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

P.S. - The K3 viewfinder and diopter adjustment is the best I've ever used on a camera. I can keep my glasses off and I don't need a correction adapter.

Best of both worlds?
This is so funny (to me)... I have never taken my glasses off to shoot, I just always press right up against the eyecup and leave the diopter zero'd.

Of course, I'm a left-eye shooter too, so I'm weird.