Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sticky shutter button anyone?

I've been outside in the cold a few times and my K-3 has developed a "Sticky Shutter" syndrom.

The first time I actually went outside shooting wasn't all that cold (-10 C) but nevertheless for the first 2-3 pictures, the shutter button was stuck and I had a difficult time pressing it halfway (for focus). One able to press halfway, it was ok to shoot.

I've been out a few more times since and the same occurs. However recently, the shutter has been a bit sticky even at room temperature (and we DO heat the house ).

Anyone has this problem? I'm thinking of taking it back to Henrys next week-end for an exchange...

01-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't think is normal... is a good call to take it back to Henrys and have it checked or replaced.
01-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Its most probably some greasy gunge that got in there. I've had that problem with K-r and K-30. With the K-30 it was easy to fix - just poured warm soapy water on it while repeatedly pressing it. That would of course have killed the K-r which took longer to fix by cleaning out the gunge with corners of paper and splintered tootpicks.
I haven't had it happen yet with the K-3 but it's only been around for a month or so.

Some compressed air might also help if it is solid particle that got stuck in it. However the fact that it sticks more in the cold makes it look more like something greasy that solidifies in the cold.
01-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree it's most probably something greasy. It shouldn't be so, so I am not sure what to do because otherwise, quite frankly, it's a great camera...

01-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the Eclipse sensor swab solution, which is fast evaporating alcohol, and since I've run out of swabs I started using the solution to clean the grungy parts of the camera. I'll turn my camera off, squeeze a few drops onto the shutter button, and press down hard with a cloth while using my fingernails in the cloth to get around the button. This has been pretty good for me and I don't think it does anything bad to the camera since it evaporates so fast.

My sweat is a bit dirty so it accumulates stuff into the shutter button quite often.
01-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I have the Eclipse sensor swab solution, which is fast evaporating alcohol, and since I've run out of swabs I started using the solution to clean the grungy parts of the camera. I'll turn my camera off, squeeze a few drops onto the shutter button, and press down hard with a cloth while using my fingernails in the cloth to get around the button. This has been pretty good for me and I don't think it does anything bad to the camera since it evaporates so fast.

My sweat is a bit dirty so it accumulates stuff into the shutter button quite often.
That solution is probably alcohol, which may not be good for the rubber weather seal. I'd rather use a mild detergent such as hand-dishwashing liquid or liquid soap. By dishwashing liquid I mean the one use for washing dishes by hand, not the one used in a dishwashing machine - that may be too aggressive on the seals.

Probably best to start with undiluted soap, then diluted with some water to make it more runny and finally rinse with clean water.

Edit to add: What I say here of course applies only to weather sealed cameras. If it is not weather sealed then the opposite is true - alcohol would be quite safe (but not entirely so) while soap and water would be lethal.
01-07-2014, 01:16 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Syrup + pancakes ==> yummy

Syrup + camera ==> gummy

It is always good to exercise reasonable care to keep your gear clean.

Steve

01-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #8

New to the forum - but joined because I have the same problem with my k30. Did the soap water trick work for you?
01-24-2014, 11:48 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I once visited a university lab where the students (masters and PhD) would go out to buy a "bin dong" lunch box (filled with Chinese food, often cooked in oil) and bring them back to the lab. All the computer keyboards were ... how do you describe it! I tell my students not to "dine" in the lab.

Fingers with food residues, especially foods cooked in oil or fat result in disgusting results.