Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2015, 11:19 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by souless Quote
Sorry to revive this old thread
I wonder if the latest firmware(FW 1.21) of K-3 solved the weird behavior
with sigma EF 530 DG super?
Its worth a test. I have a third-party flash that does poorly on the K-01/30 etc. with overexposures, but has done much better on the K-3 after the latest updates. This isn't to say that Pentax is working to fix problems with third-party flashes, but some protocol changes have been made. So, its always worth checking all systems after a firmware update.

06-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Its worth a test. I have a third-party flash that does poorly on the K-01/30 etc. with overexposures, but has done much better on the K-3 after the latest updates. This isn't to say that Pentax is working to fix problems with third-party flashes, but some protocol changes have been made. So, its always worth checking all systems after a firmware update.
Thank you! Jim!
Your advice makes sence! Why didn't I thought of it earlier?!
I should ask my friend to contact Sigma for solution.
Much appreciated!
06-15-2015, 02:54 AM   #18

I have contacted Sigma for this question and they replied me that it s only their modern flashes that can have a a program update, its based on serial number. mine was too old. See below:

No, you cannot alter the firmware of the flash and we may not be able to upgrade it for the one isolated issue. What is the serial# of your flash, it must be above 8060000 for any hope of a update.
Yours Truly,
Paul Pizzano
The Sigma Corp. of America
06-16-2015, 02:15 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Plouis Quote
I have contacted Sigma for this question and they replied me that it s only their modern flashes that can have a a program update, its based on serial number. mine was too old. See below:

No, you cannot alter the firmware of the flash and we may not be able to upgrade it for the one isolated issue. What is the serial# of your flash, it must be above 8060000 for any hope of a update.
Yours Truly,
Paul Pizzano
The Sigma Corp. of America
Ouch that implies there was a electrical change at that serial probably to fix 'issues' that could not be addressed via software.
Sigma told me the same (no update) for a 3 day old 70-200 OS hsm and use with the HD converter they've subsequently removed the lens from sale.

Guess 'buyer beware' is happy and well despite Sigma PR to the opposite

07-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #20

Original Poster
OMG, I am sorry to hear this!
Guess we need to bump up this for those who want to buy a Sigma flash gun in the future
07-06-2015, 09:23 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by souless Quote
OMG, I am sorry to hear this!
Guess we need to bump up this for those who want to buy a Sigma flash gun in the future
Yep! That is one of the hazards of buying a reverse-engineered product. Pentax did not change the base protocol, though there were apparent logic holes in Sigma's implementation on the EF 530 DG Super that did not migrate well with newer bodies. It would be good to note that Sigma has not made that flash in some time and that Pentax-brand flashes of similar vintage (~2010) are fully compatible with all current model Pentax cameras.

Steve

(...owns a Sigma EF 610 DG Super...is aware that it may not work on my next Pentax camera whenever that might be...)