Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #1

K-3 and sigma ef 530 dg super in M mode

Happy New Year, everyone!
Has anyone tried to trigger sigma ef 530 dg super in M mode(flash gun, not body) on a K-3's hotshoe(K-3 in Av/Tv/Sv/TAv)?

One of my friends can only get his K-3 to trigger sigma ef 530 dg super in P-TTL mode(flash gun) and
when both body and flash set to M mode.

However, when flash is set to M mode, and K-3 is set to any mode other than M, sigma ef 530 dg super doesn't fire.
Could the owners of sigma ef 530 dg super confirm this?

Thank you!

Last edited by souless; 01-08-2014 at 03:46 AM. Reason: add flash model name
01-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 & K3 with external flash do appear to do some things differently. In X mode they both work with flash in M mode, however in AV mode the K5 throws the flash into P-TTL and flashes, on the K3 in AV mode the flash stays in M mode & will not fire - I've not gone through default settings to see what differences there are yet. The flash I'm using is the Sigma 530 super.

Kevin
01-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by souless Quote
Happy New Year, everyone!
Has anyone tried to trigger external flash gun in M mode(flash gun, not body) on a K-3's hotshoe?

One of my friends can only get his K-3 to trigger external flash in P-TTL mode...
Does K-3 now only work with a P-TTL capable flash gun?
any thought is welcome!
Thank you!
Very confused. Do you mean the flash in M mode ? I tested an old analogic flash wireless triggered to do a great job in AS body position
01-07-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MaxCoFoto Quote
Do you mean the flash in M mode ?
Yes that's what he said:

M mode(flash gun, not body)
And also do you mean AV mode -
QuoteOriginally posted by MaxCoFoto Quote
AS body position
, plus he was not using wirelessly but on K3 hotshoe.

Kevin

01-08-2014, 03:20 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Kev.pride and MaxCoFoto for reply

@ MaxCoFoto
Yes, if both K-3 and the flash are in M mode, the flash fires
If flash stays in M mode, but the body switch to other modes, the flash doesn't fire at all
the flash is attached to K-3 via shotshoe.

I just found out my friend's flash is sigma ef 530 dg super
according to Kev's test, this flash only fires when K-3 in M mode....
I hope other sigma ef 530 dg super owner can confirm this behavior.
01-08-2014, 04:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

To use an old flash, not TTL, put your camera in manual, select f-stop according to the flash instruction. As long as the shutter speed is lower than or equal to 1/180 your flash will fire.

Edit: If in Av or Tv the flash will fire IF the shutter speed is 1/180 or below but the exposure will not be ok since the camera tries to expose as if there was no flash.

Also be sure that the voltage between the contacts on the flash when charged is lower than 25-30 VDC. Some old flashes has voltages arround 100-300 VDC and that can ruin your camera since it no longer is a mechanical contact but a electronic contact.

Last edited by Tjompen1968; 01-08-2014 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Adding some info
01-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Yes as others have said when the 530DG is set to Manual it will only fire when the K3 is set to manual.

If I turn on the camera and flash with the flash set to ttl and the camera set to Av,Tv, TAv I cannot select any other mode on the 530DG. Only when the K3 is in M then I can select other modes on the 530.

If I set the K3 to M and I set the 530 to M then I set the K3 to any other mode (Av in this case) the flash does not fire but the 530 stays in M mode.

It appears the mode button on the 530 is locked when the K3 is not in M. Turn off the K3 and the 530 mode button becomes active again.

I had the firmware updated in the 530 a few months ago.
02-28-2014, 11:12 PM   #8

Good afternoon. I just bought a K-3 and I mounted him a Sigma 530 Super. I used a 28-70 Tamy 2.8.
In M mode - K-3 and flash 1/4 or 1/8 - sometimes not trigger the flash, even 3-4 pictures in a row.

The batteries were good but the room was very dark, only disco lights, and saw the camera fail to focus device.

To be this? When trigger the flash pictures came out very well.

03-03-2014, 06:42 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by basti77 Quote
Good afternoon. I just bought a K-3 and I mounted him a Sigma 530 Super. I used a 28-70 Tamy 2.8.
In M mode - K-3 and flash 1/4 or 1/8 - sometimes not trigger the flash, even 3-4 pictures in a row.

The batteries were good but the room was very dark, only disco lights, and saw the camera fail to focus device.

To be this? When trigger the flash pictures came out very well.
both k-3 and flash in M mode?
I wonder if the flash was recycling its power?
03-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #10

Yes, both in M mode.
It seems that the lamp is consumed, we saw that there are less black at the end. I spoke in service and so do when the lamp is on lead.
01-06-2015, 07:27 AM   #11

Thanks for the post because I noticed I have the same behavior (I have exactly the equipment described), the problem is even a bit wider, in other mode than M, you cannot change the flash mode selected once you have pressed the trigger halfway once. You have either :
- to put the camera on M and then change the flash mode, and then return to the desired camera mode. Then the camera will stay on the mode you have selected
- Switch of the camera, change flash mode, switch camera on...

With that I can take the photos I want with the setting I want.

I think it is a bug, and I just opened this morning another topic about another bug: no way hot getting the high speed sync (FP/HSS) mode working between K3 and EF530 DG super...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/284907-k-3-sigma-ef-530-dg...ml#post3105976

I think that Sigma want to sell new flash when we buy new cameras!
01-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by Plouis Quote
Thanks for the post because I noticed I have the same behavior (I have exactly the equipment described)
You have revived a zombie thread.

I hope you know that HSS flash has a VERY low guide number and sucks at other than exceedingly moderate distances. Failure of HSS would result in a bright bar on part of the frame with the rest being dark.

Steve
01-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #13

I thought zombies were scared by bright light....

There are constraint for HSS, but with a big aperture and as fast as possible, it can be pretty useful to balance the light with a too bright background in an outdoor portrait situation for example...
06-11-2015, 09:44 PM   #14

Original Poster
Sorry to revive this old thread
I wonder if the latest firmware(FW 1.21) of K-3 solved the weird behavior
with sigma EF 530 DG super?
06-12-2015, 02:26 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to revive this old thread
I wonder if the latest firmware(FW 1.21) of K-3 solved the weird behavior
with sigma EF 530 DG super?
Generally speaking first party manufacturers will never introduce a klutz to fix a 3rd party manufacturer error.

Sigma have reversed engineered P-ttl they have got it wrong in your flash ... Speak to Sigma they may have a FW update available for your flash.