Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I have had no problems shooting handheld with... the D800 + AF-S 80-400mm...
But the 80-400 has VR, no? I thought the OP was implying D7100 users have a problem when using non-stabilised glass.

01-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Only Pentax lenses have invisible shields that prevent blowing rain drops from getting on the front element thereby blurring your picture.
We do have hoods standard with our lenses

I understand that WR cannot prevent drops on your lenses, but there are workarounds.
01-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Since when has rain stopped a Pentax user?
The K-3 is very weather resistant, from what I understand, and laughs in the face of rain, sleet, and snow. The same is true for the K-5 I currently own.

Now I, on the other hand -- especially as I get older -- am VERY sensitive to moisture and cold, especially when combined!
01-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rob1234 Quote
But the 80-400 has VR, no? I thought the OP was implying D7100 users have a problem when using non-stabilised glass.
True that. D800, D7100, and K-3 can be unforgiving *IF* you want to print big (or do extensive cropping). Still, good technique goes a long way. And the intention of the image has a lot to do with the result. For example, when I'm shooting eveningevents, I already know that I'm not going to enlarge more than 8"x10" so VR does help much there. The combination of ISO 6400 and 50mm f/1.8 does the trick. And if I get some subject movement all the better!

01-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
1/1600 and f9. You must have had some kind of super bright light source for that one. We used to have something that helped, called the 'sun' if I remember right. We haven't had use of it here since the K-3 became available. I'll reserve judgment on handheld sharpness with my technique until it stops raining.
In southern Indiana, we have been having mostly gray/cloudy days, but that was Utah and out west there are plenty of days with sun and blue skies, even if the temperature is sub freezing.
01-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Utah and out west there are plenty of days with sun and blue skies, even if the temperature is sub freezing.
Rondec, You have some incredible landscape shots...certainly a motivation to get out once the sun shines here in the Pacific Northwest!
01-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #22
Pentaxian

We do have hoods standard with our lenses

I understand that WR cannot prevent drops on your lenses, but there are workarounds.
Exactly and that applies to all camera brands that have some WR, no? I've shot out in the rain many times. WR does little good when the wind is blowing. And how many Pentax owners are going to soak their cameras in the heavy rain just to see how far WR really goes? I'd think you don't want to find out if the warranty has expired.

Last edited by tuco; 01-08-2014 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
01-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few hand held images...

This last one, 1/6th second, wide open ƒ4.5 at 1600 ISO with the 18-135, hand held. Try that with your 7100 dude.

I have noticed some odd effects I didn't see with the K-5, but, you have to pixel peep to see them, and usually on BiF images when panning.

Last edited by normhead; 01-08-2014 at 02:43 PM.
01-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Since when has rain stopped a Pentax user?
It doesn't exactly stop me, but the lack of light does force my shutter speed down a bit even in TAv mode.

To put things is some sort of perspective, where I live we had 19.6 inches (497mm) of rain in the last 3 weeks of November and 22.25 inches (570mm) in December. I am also at the same latitude as the southern shores of Hudson Bay so daylight is somewhat subdued at this time of year. The December rainfall total alone is close to the annual average somewhere like Norwich in eastern England, or even Peterhead in Eastern Scotland. We aren't suffering the Arctic chill that some others on this forum are unfortunately subjected to, but the above rainfall totals would produce something like 32.8 feet (10 metres) of snowfall +/- 30% (depending on texture).

There has also been a succession of storm force wind events with wind speed up to 90 mph (144 kph), so even lens hood have been somewhat redundant.

It is a testament to Pentax WR that I have been able to take any photographs at all.

Roll on springtime.
01-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Mid day on the brightest day since November 13th, NOT handheld.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
What are you trying to show with this picture? It has motion blur due to 1/4s exposure time. Maybe it has shake as well but it's hard to tell.

That the conditions we have been having are incredibly dark, wet and windy, and not conducive to testing sharpness with hand held technique. Also just that the weather does not stop a Pentax K-3 from taking pictures, but it can affect the nature of the pictures you can take. This was the brightest moment we have had here for over 7 weeks and that's how light a picture is at 1/4 sec f8 100 iso. Compare that to Rondec's lovely handheld f9 1/1600sec 200iso handheld picture above.

So I will be waiting until the sun finally shows it's face again before I make any judgement as to whether my hand held technique is shown up by the K-3 and its 24MP sensor.

Not trying to show anything more than that, sorry if it was confusing.
01-08-2014, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter

We have plenty days like that too...

01-09-2014, 12:04 AM   #28
Pentaxian

If 16 MP was fine, and 24 is too sharp and you see blur... Either try to hold it steadier, increase shutter speed or simply downsample the picture to 16 MP!
01-09-2014, 12:39 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
. Or in other words, if you are having trouble getting sharp images with your gear I would first try to evaluate what you can do to improve your technique (something none of us ever want to hear as advise, but it still is good advise nonetheless). Back in the 1980s we didn't have VR or high ISO so we really learned how to shoot handheld!!!
Did someone say handheld shooting techniques to stabilize your camera?

Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds - A Handheld Stabilization Guide

But yes, I have also noticed that I have to work harder to get tack sharp shots walking around in 'normal real-world use' than I did before with the 16mpx sensors. The K-3 is making me a better photographer by forcing me to be more deliberate, which I don't see as a bad thing

-Heie
01-09-2014, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #30

For a bad photograph, it is easier to put the blame on the camera.