Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #16
Pentaxian

If that's at 100% I say what's the point. I never look at photos at 100% anyway.

This is my KX at ISO 2500. We can probably find 1000 things wrong with it but I still love it.

01-09-2014, 10:47 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it is 100% cropped at ISO200, the noise is nearly not noticeable ... by me.
Besides the object should be a coke can which is a print on a metal ... I am thinking the supected noise may be the surface pattern of the matal.

Stephen
01-09-2014, 10:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys.
I'll try and get some better shots this evening for a sanity check
01-10-2014, 07:08 AM   #19
CDW
Veteran Member

Lurch...I usually use a setting between 20 and 30 with the Luminance slider in Light Room, while observing the noise on the small preview screen. It sometimes becomes a juggling act, balancing the interactions of sharpening, noise reduction and masking sliders. The reality is that a huge amount of objectionable, observable noise (on the screen) is usually quite acceptable on a print.

01-10-2014, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #20
CDW
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Since it is a 24MP sensor, there are a lot more pixels where noise can occur, than there were with previous cameras. Generally speaking, this should not be a problem, because for real use you will either print or make small jpegs. If you do this, a lot of noise disappears. Also, if you are pixel peeping at 100%, every shot will have some noise. Any camera, any ISO (unless the camera has auto-NR, which will also soften the whole image a little)
The other thing to keep in mind is, that noise is one of those OCD things - once you notice it, you cant stop noticing it and it might bother the photographer way too much, while other viewers won't even notice it.
Oh, and one more thing, if you shoot raw and do a lot of post processing, noise might become more prominent. You might want to look at ETTR technique (Expose to the right). By some accounts, this can get the most performance out of a digital camera.
There are also many plugins for NR, like Topaz Denoise, Noise Ninja, and others. But they might be a pain to use. Lightroom has a default NR, but I often turn it down for low ISO to keep more detail in the shot. A little noise never hurt nobody.
I've taken issue with the concept of exposing to the right, to push exposure to the maximum in an effort to reduce noise and been hammered on other forums but in my opinion, that only creates another problem that is worse than the noise. As you push levels towards clipping, particularly lighter colors, (yellows as an example) you get color shifts that are not easily correctable. Noise is far easier to deal with than the creation of noticeable artifacts as a result of over or near over exposure.
01-10-2014, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

I use this guys editing and noise technique. Really works well.

01-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Love my K3

ISO 12,800

ISO 16,000
01-14-2014, 06:35 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
Love my K3
Terrific photos, John. I especially like the one of the guy on tenor.

Jer

01-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Thank you Jer. This camera has been rockin the concert scene this week.

Here are the 2 shows that I reviewed for our music magazine and there will be a lot more to come. This was a good test because the light was so low. I was at 1/80th at F3.2 and ISO between 10,000 and 16,000.

Back Beat Seattle | Photos and Interview: Martha Davis and The Motels with Parlee @ Studio 7

Back Beat Seattle | Photos and Review: Paula Boggs Band @ The Skylark Cafe
01-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The "K-3 is noisier" argument is faulty. DXOMark says the K-5's and K-3 have equal noise up to ISO 1600. At ISO 3200, the K-5 family get a big injection of non-defeatable raw noise reduction, causing a 1/2-stop gap, which dissipates by ISO 128000. If you equalise the NR, the results will be the same, at every ISO. People need to stop pixel peeping at unequal resolutions.
The trick here is equalizing the NR. And of course DxO says they can do this, so by logical extension you should by their software, if you don't get the same noise on your K-3 you did on your K-5. What a coincidence. DxO's conclusion is, "buy our software". Now who would have guessed that? DxO is no doubt planning to make a lot of money from these K-3s. The only question is, is this a fact, or a marketing strategy?

Private companies are under no obligation to accurately present the truth.

As you can see with DxOs list of best lenses for Pentax. Missing from the list the DA* 60-250, the Tamron 90 macro, the Sigma 70 macro, There are so many lenses they haven't tested it's unbelievable they'd misrepresent the truth in the way they did. Because to make a list of the best lenses available they have to have test the best available. Something they didn't do, but they certainly imply that they did.

So I know they're misrepresenting the truth on their site on things I know about. So why would I trust them with the stuff I don't know about? Especially when my test with my camera shows something different, and their solution is "buy our software".
01-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The trick here is equalizing the NR. And of course DxO says they can do this, so by logical extension you should by their software, if you don't get the same noise on your K-3 you did on your K-5.
To equalize the NR, just turn off NR on both cameras. (Of course NR on the K-5 can't be turned off above ISO 1600).
01-16-2014, 04:33 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
As you can see with DxOs list of best lenses for Pentax. Missing from the list the DA* 60-250

I can see your point in general, but personally I like the results I get from DxO Optics Pro 9.1.2. Are you saying that they haven't tested the DA*60-250? This, and several previous, releases includes K5, K5iis and K3 modules coupled with the DA*60-250. It is my understanding that they cannot produce such a module unless the lens has been subjected to their testing processes. Of course they could make some generic best guess but that would go against the whole ethos of their product.
01-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I started playing with DxO and I like the results.
One thing in my workflow I'm trying to sort is thus:
Ok... SDCard goes in and you find it in DxO and preview the images on it. Seeing as I have *all* my photos managed in LR I dont reeeealy want to end up with two 'catalogs' so too speak. So I open up the images in DxO (directly from the SD Card I assume) run it's little improvements and then go to 'Export to Application" and into Lightroom.
However on doing this, DxO created a TIFF file *on* on the SDCard and you import to LR from there. Now... if my SD Card is pretty full this could cause somewhat of an issue. It would be nice if DxO dumped this TIFF file into a temp dir somewhere and then LR imports it into it's proper catalog/directory structure.
Thoughts?
01-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
To equalize the NR, just turn off NR on both cameras. (Of course NR on the K-5 can't be turned off above ISO 1600).
Has any one done this to show what effect it might have? I've actually never compared to images with NR on and off, to see if it could have anything to do with what I'm seeing. I did turn NR off on my camera, I continue to get wild noise from time to time.