Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2014, 04:45 AM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jet Quote
Hi all, I was following the thread right from the start, especially after I got my new k-3 two weeks ago, replacing my loved k10d that I had for six and half years. The k-3 is an unbelievable step up in the game, and I can confess honestly that when I took her (the k-3) for a three-day shooting trip, I was able to capture photos with light conditions and hight dynamic range scenes, that I'd never be able to capture with the k10d.

I was truly excited about the k-3's high ISO performance over the k10d, and I was shooting interiors at ISO1600, 3200 and even 6400. I never went higher than ISO400 on k10d, so you can imagine what a change this was for me.

However, when I opened my RAWs in my Lightroom 5 when I got home, I was slightly disappointed first. There actually was a noise on ISO3200! Well maybe the expectations were too high first. So I played bit with NR settings in Lightroom, and then exported some of the photos to low resolution, about 1600 pixels high / wide. Obviously, this improved the noise massively.

I was still surprised to see how clean and defined are some of the photographs in this thread. A good PP technique and NR software was mentioned a few times. Now I have to say that because I was really avoiding high ISO on k10d, I have zero experience with those. I googled a few tutorials, but I'm not sure if I'm doing any good really.

Could you please point out, how do you go about noise reduction in post-processing, please? Maybe you have a routine, maybe you use a plug-in, or a dedicated software with good algorithms? If you can share a bit of your expertise with that, I'd be massively grateful.
I think the keys to decent high iso shots on the K3 are to get the right exposure in camera. Whenever you bump things after the fact, you can introduce noise. Second is to try to selectively sharpen (or not sharpen at all) in post. Sharpening can add a bunch of noise and shots at iso 1600 and above on the K3 aren't going to benefit from much sharpening. Lightroom has tools for noise reduction and they work quite well -- just pull your sliders both directions and see what you get. I sometimes use Nik Dfine for really high iso photos and it may work a little better than the Lightroom noise reduction.

This is iso 1600 (not particularly high iso by this thread's standards), but I did feel like the K3 kept a pretty good amount of detail.

03-03-2014, 06:02 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
My first tip would be to not make your noise assessments based on looking at your images (a) at 100% on the screen of your computer or (b) viewed on the rear LCD of the K-3. Both of those will produce an impression of high noise in K-3 images that will not match your experience in practical use of the camera - for web use, for print etc.
That's great advice. Don't waste time and detail processing noise unless you truly need to.

I don't know how to use the noise reduction controls in Lightroom and may never learn. Several years ago I downloaded a free NR program called Noiseware Community Edition. Performance of the software has been improved immensely since then, and it is dead simple to use. The only downside is that the Community edition won't run a batch, so I eventually upgraded to Noiseware Standard Standalone edition for $30. It's worth a look.
Imagenomic - Downloads
03-03-2014, 07:07 AM   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Noiseware Community Edition
Agreed. It's great noise-reduction software. I've had a copy of the free community edition on my computer for years, ever since I got my first digital point-and-shoot, which was noisy as hell anywhere above ISO 400. Still use Noiseware from time to time. Fast and efficient.
03-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #109
Pentaxian

This is high ISO and I think it's perfectly acceptable. Once I get my new K3 and my self dialed in, it will only get better.

ISO 5000 pushed to ISO 10,000

Last edited by john5100; 03-03-2014 at 06:47 PM.
03-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #110
Jet
Inactive Account

Hi all, first, thanks for all your replies and advice! I really appreciate that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
...I also take care throughout my post-processing not to sharpen the noise and make things worse. For example, when sharpening in Lightroom I use the sharpening mask carefully to exclude broad expanses with no detail.
Barry, thanks for your suggestion. I'll try the selective sharpening with the mask for areas that require sharpening. Looks like I should avoid sharpening of high ISO photos whenever possible.

My first tip would be to not make your noise assessments based on looking at your images (a) at 100% on the screen of your computer or (b) viewed on the rear LCD of the K-3. Both of those will produce an impression of high noise in K-3 images that will not match your experience in practical use of the camera - for web use, for print etc.
rawr, my experience is that I actually haven't seen noise on the k-3's screen, so I assumed that the photos will be clean. But then I found noise when reviewing the pictures in 100% on screen on my computer. Point taken though, I understand that if I print / scale down photos, most of the noise I can see at 100% will be gone.

However, even if I scale down some of my photos, I don't get such clarity as can be seen in the this photo or this photo by john5100, or this one by rondec. I'm not sure what's the trick here, but I guess I might also check if my lenses focus properly.

Thanks for your tips, mainly for
- crush the blacks a bit in post-processing ,
- at very, very high ISO, where the IQ seriously starts to fall away, boost contrast, clarity and vibrance a tad, reduce saturation a notch, boost midtones
What do you mean by "crush the blacks" BTW?

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the keys to decent high iso shots on the K3 are to get the right exposure in camera. Whenever you bump things after the fact, you can introduce noise. Second is to try to selectively sharpen (or not sharpen at all) in post. Sharpening can add a bunch of noise and shots at iso 1600 and above on the K3 aren't going to benefit from much sharpening. Lightroom has tools for noise reduction and they work quite well -- just pull your sliders both directions and see what you get. I sometimes use Nik Dfine for really high iso photos and it may work a little better than the Lightroom noise reduction.

This is iso 1600 (not particularly high iso by this thread's standards), but I did feel like the K3 kept a pretty good amount of detail.

Rondec, thanks for your suggestions. I'll make sure to avoid sharpening when not necessary. I don't tend to bump the exposure too much in PP, I usually get it mostly right, so that should be fine. I'll check out Nik Dfine! Great photo! Really nice and crisp. If I learn how to get to such results, I'll be totally happy. Clearly, the high ISO "problem" with k-3 looks to be more in the hands of the photographer, than in the camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Several years ago I downloaded a free NR program called Noiseware Community Edition. Performance of the software has been improved immensely since then, and it is dead simple to use. The only downside is that the Community edition won't run a batch, so I eventually upgraded to Noiseware Standard Standalone edition for $30. It's worth a look.
Imagenomic - Downloads
- thanks for mentioning this, Dan! Will definitely check out that!

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
This is high ISO and I think it's perfectly acceptable. Once I get it and my self dialed in it will only get better.
ISO 5000 pushed to ISO 10,000
John, that's fantastic! Again, this level of crispness and preserved detail seems is exactly what I'm after. Could you please share your routine? I can imagine that if I took the picture, there would be an awful lot of noise for ISO5000 if viewed at 100%. I also wonder what you mean by pushing to ISO10,000? Are you saying that you essentially pushed the exposure by a stop in PP?
03-03-2014, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #111
Pentaxian

Jet - Hey buddy no problem.

First "Pushing to ISO 10,000". I underexposed the image (getting used to my new camera) by roughly one stop (might have been a little less). I raised the exposure in Post using LR4 to get the correct exposure. Once I did that then I edited to my taste. Note: I have found that making the blacks really black enhances the color, the contrast, and hides noise. It's kind of like seeing a really good TV. The key to a really good TV is that the black levels are really black...if that makes sense.

This is the best explanation of how I edit my photos that I have seen. I use his technique all of the time. Hope you enjoy it. Pay attention to his "painting with light" section and his noise reductions techniques.

Here's another one shot at ISO 12,800 using the above technique. It's a little soft but part of that was the fact that she is older with a few wrinkles that I smoothed out. Since this was a published photo, I wanted to show her in the best light that I could.

Last edited by john5100; 03-03-2014 at 07:43 PM.
03-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #112
Jet
Inactive Account

John, thank you! That;s exactly what I needed! I watched the tutorial, and I have realised that there is a lot about Lightroom that I don't know. I sense a learning curve ahead, which is something I like.

The bottom line from me is that the k-3 is an amazing camera! I already can't wait to get out shooting again!

Thanks again, and sorry everyone for hijacking the thread.
03-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #113
Pentaxian

That's what we're all here for. We all learn from each other. Have fun...