Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2014, 10:07 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 in camera HDR (Dynamic Range)

I wanted to check out te K-3's dynamic range and alignment settings. Firstly, I must say that the alignment of the 3 exposures taken seemed perfect. I can't find any ghosting in the frame on the three handheld shots I did. I think it is terrific. The question I have is that the menu allows for 1 of 3 HDR settings, #1, #2, #3 (duh). However I can't find any reference as to what parameter(s) I am controlling. The results look very close to each other and spotting a difference is difficult. However, there is some variety in the resulting histograms. Can anyone supply an answer?

01-10-2014, 10:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Iam1of2 Quote
I wanted to check out te K-3's dynamic range and alignment settings. Firstly, I must say that the alignment of the 3 exposures taken seemed perfect. I can't find any ghosting in the frame on the three handheld shots I did. I think it is terrific. The question I have is that the menu allows for 1 of 3 HDR settings, #1, #2, #3 (duh). However I can't find any reference as to what parameter(s) I am controlling. The results look very close to each other and spotting a difference is difficult. However, there is some variety in the resulting histograms. Can anyone supply an answer?
The higher the number, the stronger the HDR effect. The camera will overexpose the bright shot more and underexpose the dark shot more before combining the images.

Note that the K-3 supports RAW HDR files, which are huge (80-100Mb) but give you a LOT of control. It's worth checking out!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick reply. With my k-20D, I shot almost exclusively .PEF files and would do so again if I could find a converter for post work. I use Elements and the Topaz suite which seems to be quite sufficient for my needs. The Adobe converters won't work with my version of the software, (except the new DNG release). Has anyone got experience with a package called "Meta Raw"?
01-12-2014, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The higher the number, the stronger the HDR effect. The camera will overexpose the bright shot more and underexpose the dark shot more before combining the images.

Note that the K-3 supports RAW HDR files, which are huge (80-100Mb) but give you a LOT of control. It's worth checking out!
How one should handle K-3's RAW HDR files? Do I understand correctly that the only way is converting a combined RAW HDR file into 3 ordinary raw files? If it so then it is not that advantageos to the usual way of making HDRs from 3 single raw files as it was before.