Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

LCD screen frozen at menu screen - had to remove battery

I received my K3 on Monday and I was really excited about playing around with it. However, I have experienced a LCD screen lockup as I was skimming through the menu options. The screen was frozen at the menu screen and the on/off switch was rendered useless. The camera wouldn't power off and all the buttons had no affect whatsoever. I had to remove the battery for it to power off. I put the battery back in to the camera battery grip and then it powered on fine. Since I got the camera, I have not use it with the battery in the camera, because I use the battery grip and I only have one battery. So far, I did not run into that screen freeze problem again, but I was just wondering if any of you had experience that with your K3. Could it be just my camera? Battery grip or Firmware glitch, perhaps? Maybe I should update to the latest firmware?

01-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No lock ups at all with mine. No battery grip, either.
01-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Sounds a little like my experience with my K-01:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/138-pentax-k-01/247294-lcd-freaks-out-wont-power-off-unless-battery-removed.html
01-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This is a fairly common occurrence, though its more likely to happen when your battery voltage is low.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-12-2014, 10:07 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This is a fairly common occurrence, though its more likely to happen when your battery voltage is low.
It is strange that I have not experience this problem on Canon and Nikon cameras. Hopefully, this is just a once in a blue moon kind of things, otherwise it could get frustrating.
01-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by konquerian Quote
It is strange that I have not experience this problem on Canon and Nikon cameras. Hopefully, this is just a once in a blue moon kind of things, otherwise it could get frustrating.
I sure have, but it certainly doesn't happen every day. Maybe once or twice in the lifetime of the camera unless you're using a bad battery or something like that.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-12-2014, 11:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A camera is a computer as such it needs a stable power supply, If the voltage dips the cpu will lock out requiring a reboot.

This is true for any brand of camera, The most likley times this will happens is

1 when the battery is new and receives it first few charges performance may fluctuate under load.
2 When the battery is old it may not deliver even voltage under load
3 Low battery
4 faulty battery
5 faulty regulates
6 under current battery (cheap non OEM)
7 exceptional load (long video, extended live view etc)

It is unlikely lockups will occur outside those boundaries above but they will occur on all cameras irrespective of brand.
I believe there is an increased likely hood of lockups if you use AA in the grip as most AA's are not optimized for high load constant voltage delivery.

01-12-2014, 11:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had one lock-up with my K-3 which required the battery to be momentarily removed. Been ok since then (fingers crossed).
04-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #9
Forum Member

I just had an "interesting" K-3 lockup today. Camera was on a tripod set for 2-second timer. It had been powered up for about a minute. I used live view to manually focus. Hit the red button to turn off LV, then pressed the shutter button to start the 2-second timer. After 4 beeps (less than one second) the camera froze. No more beeps, shutter did not fire. After 5 or 10 seconds the camera powered itself down (top LCD went off). My first thought was that the battery died. I powered it back on and successfully made the shot. Battery is a Pentax Ricoh D-LI90 recently charged (LCD shows 3 bars - full). Firmware 1.03. No grip.

I've had maybe 3 other lockups since getting the K-3 in November. In all cases the camera had been recently powered up (a minute or two) and the camera became non-responsive for at least 10 or 15 seconds: shutter wouldn't fire, menu or other buttons have no effect. Power button had no effect initially, but after 10 or 20 seconds the power button did turn the camera off, then it was fine. I've never had to remove the battery.
04-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

awaldram:

With all the cameras I have owned over the years, I've never had a camera that locked up and needed to have the battery removed for it to continue functioning. I think to insinuate that it's "common" is a bit ludicrous.

Konquerian:

I had two K3s over the course of 5 months and, over that time, had each of them lock up and become unresponsive more than a few times. I usually had to pop the battery out to get the camera unfrozen. I don't have the battery grip and always used genuine Pentax batteries. The lock-ups occurred rather randomly, with no rhyme or reason. Sometimes it was simply when I turned the camera on. Wish I could say I know what causes it, but I couldn't track it down to bad or low batteries, or anything else for that matter.

Though I had it happen with the latest firmware, I can only suggest you keep the firmware up-to-date. Hopefully the next version will fix some of these stability issues.

Good luck... hopefully you won't run into it often.
04-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
awaldram:

With all the cameras I have owned over the years, I've never had a camera that locked up and needed to have the battery removed for it to continue functioning. I think to insinuate that it's "common" is a bit ludicrous.
Ludicrous, is to use a strawman to imply my words from Jannuary are a lie .... In your sad little crusade youve lost all grip on reality.

As the Gordo said ". I've never had to remove the battery." yet you inerpret it to " needed to have the battery removed for it to continue functioning"

I never said or implied it was 'common' that is also you own little universe .

I suppose in your little world I wrote it to refute your one cause mirror flops before you had them

Your agenda is running a little tired now it's time you gave it a rest.

You chose to accept your retailers offer of replacement K5iis for you k3's , you have not had any direct contact with Pentax and your agreement is now complete.

Yet having had your resolution your now having remorse and wish to make Pentax, Ricoh and everone suffer for your choices it's all very sad.

As Ray pointed out your rapidly becoming the new Barry Fitzgerald who did the same as you for the Kr and then after 2 years ranting about Pentax had the same issue with Nikon D90's.

It appears the adage of a bad Workman (or woman) and their tools is alive and kicking.

The k3 was not suitable for your purpose and now it not suitable for anyone, and all thosse 95%+ with no issue are liers or lucky.!!!

And the OP's issue from Jannuary he wrote in another thread 30th Jan

"I finally got a second battery for my k3 camera.

The power on problem with the previous batch of battery grips seems to be fixed in this new batch from B&H, however I will continue to monitor the behavior of my k3 with the grip to see if the problem is really resolved. So far, I tested my camera for two days and the result I got seemed consistent, no changes yet."

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/242792-k-3-power-issue-6.html#ixzz2zpPkrJVQ

As he's reported no more issues it certainly looks like a faulty battery LoL

---------- Post added 24-04-14 at 06:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gordo Quote
I just had an "interesting" K-3 lockup today. Camera was on a tripod set for 2-second timer. It had been powered up for about a minute. I used live view to manually focus. Hit the red button to turn off LV, then pressed the shutter button to start the 2-second timer. After 4 beeps (less than one second) the camera froze. No more beeps, shutter did not fire. After 5 or 10 seconds the camera powered itself down (top LCD went off). My first thought was that the battery died. I powered it back on and successfully made the shot. Battery is a Pentax Ricoh D-LI90 recently charged (LCD shows 3 bars - full). Firmware 1.03. No grip.

I've had maybe 3 other lockups since getting the K-3 in November. In all cases the camera had been recently powered up (a minute or two) and the camera became non-responsive for at least 10 or 15 seconds: shutter wouldn't fire, menu or other buttons have no effect. Power button had no effect initially, but after 10 or 20 seconds the power button did turn the camera off, then it was fine. I've never had to remove the battery.
Hi Gordo

It sounds like you have a faulty camera or battery.

If I was you I;d get a cheap knock off battery and see if you get the same issue if that clears it up then try and pursuade you local Penrax dealer to replace the battery .

If the symtom remains then I'd send you camera for warranty repair, 3 lockups in 6 months is not normal.

One other thought is RF, do you keep phone near the camera as this could possibly cause this

Though some here want to lump all issues as one (I know reall loony tunes material) There are many things that can cause you camera to lock out
from enviromentals to battery so don't let Amy's 'it's a feature of the camera . poor design get somthing else' mentality frighten you.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 24-04-14 at 07:26 PM ----------

Last edited by awaldram; 04-24-2014 at 11:27 AM.
04-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Ludicrous, is to use a strawman to imply my words from Jannuary are a lie .... In your sad little crusade youve lost all grip on reality.
As the Gordo said ". I've never had to remove the battery." yet you inerpret it to " needed to have the battery removed for it to continue functioning"
I was replying to the initial poster, not Gordo. It seems you are the one on the crusade, I was simply stating that yes, I've had lockups too.

QuoteOriginally posted by konquerian Quote
...The camera wouldn't power off and all the buttons had no affect whatsoever. I had to remove the battery for it to power off...
See that quote above. That's konquerian saying he did have to pop the battery out.
I also said I "usually" had to remove the battery. That doesn't mean I had to every time the camera locked up.

I never said or implied it was 'common' that is also you own little universe .
I suppose in your little world I wrote it to refute your one cause mirror flops before you had them
Your agenda is running a little tired now it's time you gave it a rest.
Again, the original poster asked if anyone had lockups. I did. I shared.
To you, I said "common" in quotes. Your reply seemed to indicate that one should expect little bugs and issues, just like with a computer. That's ludicrous.

You chose to accept your retailers offer of replacement K5iis for you k3's , you have not had any direct contact with Pentax and your agreement is now complete.
Wrong again. See, there's that lack of reading comprehension I referred to before. We don't need to rehash my problems with mirror-flapping inside konquerian's thread. It was you that brought it up here. I was simply answering konquerian about his lockup. You are acting like a child constantly arguing with me, and polluting this thread unnecessarily, when it's was never even part of the discussion.
04-24-2014, 09:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

awaldram:

I was simply answering konquerian about his lockup. You are acting like a child constantly arguing with me, and polluting this thread unnecessarily, when it's was never even part of the discussion.
You can't cover your tracks when it's all in black and white for all to see, You just make yourself out as a lier.!

You deliberatley attacked me and then have the affront to suggest I'm the one arguing , When it's clear to all I'm defending my statements from 5 months ago against your strawman I never said Common never implied common it's not hard just read.

You decided to answer Konquerian after 5 months !!! your funny especial when you question my comprehension

The truth is you lept on an oportunity to pedal your poison , totally ignoring any facts or any attempt to help the OP in his issues.

The facts reamain I sugested it may be a battery issue , he replaced the battery and it looks like his issue was ressolved.

What did your poison rhetoric achieve for him 5 months too late ?

There are two kinds of people here, Those trying to help people with problems and those like you who just want to scream look at me arn't I hard done to.

You see Amy there is no need for me to argue with you, Facts and truth can only be refuted by resorting to Strawman arguements and that will always be found out .

As much as you'd like to imply I said somthing I didn't I will always correct you and point out your error. Stick to the truth and we'll get along fine.

Twice now you've made stuff up about what I've said to improve your viewpoint both times you've been caught, I begin to wonder how much I should trust anything you say ?

Anytime you wish to appolgise I'm happy to listen.!

Last edited by awaldram; 04-24-2014 at 10:10 PM.
04-24-2014, 10:36 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can't cover your tracks when it's all in black and white for all to see, You just make yourself out as a lier.!

You deliberatley attacked me and then have the affront to suggest I'm the one arguing , When it's clear to all I'm defending my statements from 5 months ago against your strawman I never said Common never implied common it's not hard just read.
I replied to what you said.

You decided to answer Konquerian after 5 months !!! your funny especial when you question my comprehension
It was at the top of the forum and I saw it and replied. I didn't take note that it was originally started in January. Gordo's reply had bumped it up, obviously.

The truth is you lept on an oportunity to pedal your poison , totally ignoring any facts or any attempt to help the OP in his issues.
No, you are jumping on me. I didn't pedal my position at all. I didn't even mention it. All I said was I've had lockups too.

The facts reamain I sugested it may be a battery issue , he replaced the battery and it looks like his issue was resolved.
I see no indication of that at all. You suggested it was normal for electronics to lock up. I see nothing from konquerian after that.

What did your poison rhetoric achieve for him 5 months too late ?
Wasn't rhetoric, as already stated. And, as I said, because Gordo replied and bumped up the post, I didn't notice it was from 5 months ago.

There are two kinds of people here, Those trying to help people with problems and those like you who just want to scream look at me arn't I hard done to.
Sounds more like you're the one screaming.

You see Amy there is no need for me to argue with you, Facts and truth can only be refuted by resorting to Strawman arguements and that will always be found out .
Repeat yourself all you want. Doesn't make you anymore right.

As much as you'd like to imply I said somthing I didn't I will always correct you and point out your error. Stick to the truth and we'll get along fine.
You're the one resorting to constantly attacking me for participating anywhere on the forum. You are yelling and throwing a tantrum simply because I disagree with you about camera lockups (that they happen "commonly" because of A, B, C), and because I shared that I had the K3s I owned lockup as well.

Twice now you've made stuff up about what I've said to improve your viewpoint both times you've been caught, I begin to wonder how much I should trust anything you say ?
And this is where you are the liar, not me. I haven't lied about anything, and you're accusing me of making stuff up? You've flat out lied about things I've said as well (like saying I had no direct contact with Pentax, when I did).

Anytime you wish to appolgise I'm happy to listen.!
Not going to happen. I will simply apologize to konquerian and Gordo for having their inquiry polluted with such off-topic garbage for you, and now me.

I won't be replying again, so go ahead and accuse me of anything you like.
04-24-2014, 11:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Everyone can read what you put , and see the date lines

I don't need to say anything or accuse you of anything .... You incriminate yourself.
Closed Thread