Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2014, 03:38 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K3 white balance

Hello all
The white balance of my new K3 (700 pictures taken) switch sometime on foolish setting: flash or fluorescent light on pictures taken in outdoor situation even if the white bal. is set on 5000K. or auto.
I never had this problem previously with my K20. Does somebody experiment this problem?
Have a good day

01-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kieffer Quote
Hello all
The white balance of my new K3 (700 pictures taken) switch sometime on foolish setting: flash or fluorescent light on pictures taken in outdoor situation even if the white bal. is set on 5000K. or auto.
I never had this problem previously with my K20. Does somebody experiment this problem?
Have a good day
Do you have some sample photos? I've found the K-3's WB to generally be very accurate, especially at night.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #3
EMF

I do three things to achieve a somewhat reliable and consistent true white balance and colour saturation with my K-3. I use this setting indoors for mixed artificial lighting, fluorescent, warm and cold low-energy bulbs and halogen:
1. I have set up a user WB with the lowest colour temperature and a bottom left position in the colour space.
2. I set the image finishing to Natural. Seems to dampen colour saturation to an acceptable level.
3. I verify that the photo software reads the colour in the jpeg correctly. I get different saturation and colour temperature in Picasa vs. paint vs other. It might have to do with the multi WB function in the K-3.

White balance in the K-3 is so far a "black box" to me. The auto WB is unreliable, colours can be rich and beautiful but rarely true. The automatic and preset WB modes are nice but a hit or miss. Colour representation in my other cameras are less variable and more reliable. Colour and lack of auto-focus in video recording are two major drawbacks for an otherwise nice camera.

Last edited by EMF; 03-08-2014 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Missed out an important fact.
03-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EMF Quote
Colour and lack of auto-focus in video recording are two major drawbacks for an otherwise nice camera.
Hold down the AF button during video recording. Doesn't work if you have AF button set to cancel AF.

03-08-2014, 12:28 AM   #5
EMF

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Hold down the AF button during video recording. Doesn't work if you have AF button set to cancel AF.
You're right derrekite about the AF button in video recording, it works. I find manual focus faster and quieter shooting video with the K-3. This is not a video camera.
03-08-2014, 03:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

@kieffer, could it be simply that you are accidentally changing the WB setting? Just pressing the left controller button twice will change the WB setting.

If you often use the controller buttons to change the focus point it is very easy to accidentally change the WB by mistake, simply because the controller wouldn't be in focus point selection mode.

If the WB is set to a fixed colour temperature there is no way it will change by itself, unless you actually change it from the controls. What may be happening is that you are setting the WB to 5000K on one of the presets (K1,K2,K3) but you are not actually selecting/activating that preset and instead leaving it on another setting, or accidentally changing it.
03-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@kieffer - Check setting C2-10. WB Adjustable Range. Default is set for 2. Change it to 1. and you should be good to go.

Jack

03-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EMF Quote
I do three things to achieve a somewhat reliable and consistent true white balance and colour saturation with my K-3. I use this setting indoors for mixed artificial lighting, fluorescent, warm and cold low-energy bulbs and halogen:
1. I have set up a user WB with the lowest colour temperature and a bottom left position in the colour space.
2. I set the image finishing to Natural. Seems to dampen colour saturation to an acceptable level.
3. I verify that the photo software reads the colour in the jpeg correctly. I get different saturation and colour temperature in Picasa vs. paint vs other. It might have to do with the multi WB function in the K-3.

White balance in the K-3 is so far a "black box" to me. The auto WB is unreliable, colours can be rich and beautiful but rarely true. The automatic and preset WB modes are nice but a hit or miss. Colour representation in my other cameras are less variable and more reliable. Colour and lack of auto-focus in video recording are two major drawbacks for an otherwise nice camera.
I find the auto white balance on the K-3 to be generally reliable. However, for "keeper" shots, I also generate a RAW file so I can change the white balance in post if it seems warranted. I set the camera's white balance to "auto" and forget about it. Remember that if you are shooting JPEG only, you can press the AE-Lock button while in playback mode, and make a RAW file from the current picture that's in the camera's memory until you shoot another picture or turn the camera off. It's one of my favorite K-3 / K-5 features, and saves card space if your shot isn't critical.

John
03-12-2014, 03:50 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
In my experience the K3 is a lot better than the K30 when it comes to WB. However, Auto WB seems to REALLY dislike specific fluorescent lights.
EMF's approach is a good solution. It seems Auto WB on the K3 is better, because it's NOT meant to handle specific lightning scenarios (handles natural light great).
The K30 was the opposite, it handled everything ok on auto WB, but not good. Making presets didn't help much, it had issues in certain scenarios.

Unnatural light with a different color tint? Then you need a preset imo.
03-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
According to my observations, the M AWB function is still not properly understood in RAW editors. The raw converters I used, typically render it in the same fashion as normal AWB. Also camera seems to choose different white balance depending on the raw format you choose (dng or pef). I shot the same scene from a tripod 4 times. DNG - AWB, M AWB ; PEF - AWB, M AWB. Both DNG files and both PEF files had exactly the same white balance. But DNG files differed from PEF files.