Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2014, 07:35 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Torture test complete

I just finished two full days of video where my two K3 cameras shot several hundred Gigs of footage. They were basically on ALL day as I turned off the auto shutdowns for both of them.

They were both under tungsten hot lights, and took the brunt of the heat from two umbrella silver reflectors. Not only did they not overheat, but they stayed on and with power to spare. Every clip that I stopped, the K3 was ready to write again without any lag whatsoever. The sound quality and manual control of the video has been awesome.

The K3 has passed another one of my tests with flying colors.

The K5, while great on quality, could never have kept up.

Superb tool, the K3.

Pretty amazing, and a quantum leap past what I loved about the K5.

01-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sounds good, but now we must demand the footage! If possible =p

Pretty please~
01-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lauren, you are too funny!
01-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

That's great but I agree footage please

01-14-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Sounds good, but now we must demand the footage! If possible =p

Pretty please~
You will be able to see the footage around March, when the project is complete.
Right now the footage is too raw, and I am still on location.
Maybe when I get back home, I will put up a snippet/

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Lauren, you are too funny!
Dunno why I am so funny. It must be my name.

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
That's great but I agree footage please
Maybe when I get back. I have a few more locations to shoot before I return home.
This is the first real torture test I have put my K3 cameras through when it comes to video. I *really* don't know what the fuss is about. Great footage!

01-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Part of it is that people in the k-3 video thread are lambasting the video of the k-3, so it'd be great to see the result considering you've tortured them.
01-14-2014, 09:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Part of it is that people in the k-3 video thread are lambasting the video of the k-3, so it'd be great to see the result considering you've tortured them.
Agreed. That thread started off pretty good but it has really gone on a tangent. I'd love to see what someone with extensive video experience on the K-5, and who is actually using the K-3 now, can do!
01-14-2014, 09:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Agreed. That thread started off pretty good but it has really gone on a tangent. I'd love to see what someone with extensive video experience on the K-5, and who is actually using the K-3 now, can do!
I wasn't aware of the lambasting.

I can say, that will manual control, I am able to get what I want/need.

I'll go and read some of the comments.

Then again, you know how these things go.

01-14-2014, 09:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Here's a link to that thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/238987-pentax-k-3-video-discussion.html
01-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

LaurenOE
This would probably be the first ever *public* test of K3 video capabilities. Good to know that K3 performs admirably. Why did you choose K3 for professional videographing? Did you consider Sony,Panasonic GH3 and Canon etc offerings?
01-15-2014, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
LaurenOE
This would probably be the first ever *public* test of K3 video capabilities. Good to know that K3 performs admirably. Why did you choose K3 for professional videographing? Did you consider Sony,Panasonic GH3 and Canon etc offerings?
As a Pentaxian it was a no brainer to use the K3, so I never considered anything else.
I am a "one woman show", who takes inspiration from Phillip Bloom and other "independents" who travel and keep their kit to a minimum.

(9 total bags this trip, with 7 checked - 3 Think Tank Logistics managers, and two "gun" cases for my sliders and lighting gear.)

I have to take both a stills camera and a video camera, so a dSLR is required for what I do.

In the last three days, I have used the K3 internal and externally and before the two weeks is over, I will hopefully have some footage in the rain and/or mist fog of the San Fran area.

Again, a Pentax with it's WR and features makes it easy for me to take along.
Having a Pentax, with it's form factors and wonderful glass, also make it an easy choice.

Ask for the video proper from the K3? I LOVED the MJpeg output from the K5 and wish it would have stayed with the K3.
Some of my best video work has been done with the K5 and mJpeg, so I will miss that.
If Pentax would give me mJpeg and the nice uncompressed files using that option, I would be very happy.

I can deal with H.264/.mp4 as that seems to be the standard. I wish Pentax would give me the absolute technical schematics on*their* flavor of the codec.

As for the camera itself?

Having said great things about the K5, I will say, that the K5 - unless in a colder setting - would get very hot, very quickly.
It wasn't *that* big a deal, as I worked around that limitation.
However, it was a VERY scary thing when I was doing internal shots ( or hot spaces), and I would see the temp gauge start to show up.

I have some grey hairs because of that, but I use several cameras on any given scene/interview, so I was able to "edit out the temperature flaws" of the K5.

Besides, shooting video with a dSLR requires that you do *takes* instead of making a huge honk'n file that you edit later. Again, it's about technique and ALL dSLRs require some change of workflow.

Finally you can never underestimate the power of a single tool that allows for GREAT photographs and video.

One can even look past little flaws if the tool is capable overall.

So remember, using a dSLR allows me to instantly take the camera off the video rigs, and shoot regular photographs without blinking an eye.
The K3 with it's awesome frame rate, allows me to never skip a beat - be it photography or video.

I choose Pentax because it's the best tool out there for what I do.

Being a Pentaxian is also a part of it.

01-15-2014, 05:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Well, Lauren, I personally am excited to see what you do with the footage -- not from a "testing the K3" standpoint, but just because I have been impressed with your videos in the past, particularly the "Search for Permanence" ones.
01-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, Lauren, I personally am excited to see what you do with the footage -- not from a "testing the K3" standpoint, but just because I have been impressed with your videos in the past, particularly the "Search for Permanence" ones.
Thanks!

Believe it or not, *those* videos are what sealed the deal on getting the position I have now. Because I shoot in a "cinematic" and serious tone, I was seen as a cinematographer and serious professional. The photography I also did/do, was also seen as someone who takes their craft seriously.

Having a YouTube channel and website helped immensely!

Here are some phone pics from two setups this week.
If you know the Bay Area, you know who I work for, and will recognize the place.

I am taking corporate training videos/curriculum, into "movie/story" based shorts.
I am free to make them as I want to.
Wrapping a story around technical concepts.

01-15-2014, 05:40 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This video sealed my resume/deal and made my position happen.

All Pentax - All the way.

Shot with a K5.

01-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very well done - the entire package!!!!

The actual shooting is a small part of the overall product. The concept, layout, story boarding, script, locations, setup, shooting, editing, music, packaging it. Impressive!!!