Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2014, 10:32 PM - 1 Like   #31
Forum Member

Put together a new computer a year ago to replace my 7 or 8 year old single core machine, and been very happy with the upgrade

23'' ASUS ProArt IPS monitor which I love although larger would be nice (also two vertical 1024x1280 older monitors on the sides, useful for document reading, folder viewing, etc.)
8 core AMD 8350 4 GHz cpu
32GB DDR3 RAM
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Two 3TB HDs mirrored for media storage
AMD 7850 graphics card

Recently tested out the computer muscle when editing together a 4K timelapse of Angkor Wat sunrise from a visit there in November:
Definitely helped to have the extra RAM and cpu power, although it didn't seem Photoshop (CS6 64-bit) was that well optimized to use all 32GB RAM as it usually started creating huge swap files on my SSD before getting anywhere close to using all the available RAM...and then it would crash when trying to load and align all the 700 images (again before using all the RAM). Had to load and align the images one by one in a batch instead, and for that you don't really need much RAM =/ So, I would say in my experience 32GB RAM is definitely overkill for photo work, though it is quite useful for video work.

P.S. If you watched the timelapse video above you may think it's pretty jerky in parts and surprised I did all that work aligning frames (and also de-flickering exposures!), but believe it or not it is MUCH better than the raw shots I started working with -- I didn't bring a proper tripod along and just had my K10D mounted on a mini-tripod a few inches off the ground...which was wet sand and so the camera would sink in slowly and needed adjustment to right it every once in a while. Some groups of shots were rotated by a LARGE amount relative to others =( I look forward to another sunrise timelapse attempt somewhere, with the improved metering on my new K3 and with my normal tripod!

01-17-2014, 11:15 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Still at XP Pro,, 4.1gHz quad core connected to a 55" LED TV @1080p no issues. i plan to upgrade the quad core to a hex core in the near future.
01-18-2014, 01:21 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
Still at XP Pro,, 4.1gHz quad core connected to a 55" LED TV @1080p no issues. i plan to upgrade the quad core to a hex core in the near future.
Why would you use a XP machine? Whenever I touch one of those I'm stunned how much technology has moved on. God was XP awful...
01-18-2014, 07:38 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Why would you use a XP machine? Whenever I touch one of those I'm stunned how much technology has moved on. God was XP awful...
XPPro is still the most stable OS even better than 7 The problem is service pack 3 was designed to slow XP down so that people would migrate to Vista. But there is a way to install the necessary components without slowing the machine down, many people don't know this. Set up properly XPPro is much faster than Win7. (XPPro is quite a different beast than regular XP )
Plus XPPro can support 8 core processors with no issues. and does not need constant updates like windows 7. Many Cities still use XPPro in their data management, only now are they being forced to to fully migrate to windows 7 due to there being no more official support from Microsoft . On the other hand many City IT departments have concluded Windows 8 to be to difficult to make compatible for their infrastructures.

Last edited by OldNoob; 01-18-2014 at 07:48 AM.
01-18-2014, 08:05 AM   #35
Emperor and Senpai

XP pro doesn't support much RAM unless you get the 64 bit of version, then there is no driver support. Besides, it's about to lose support.
01-18-2014, 10:10 AM   #36
Pentaxian

There is basically no driver support left for XP/XP Pro (which I did use long time ago). There are few updates for XP, cause Microsoft is leaving XP users to the sharks. It doesn't mean there are no holes in the OS, it just means no one bothers to fix it anymore.

And the reason why companies stay with XP? Custom software that only runs on XP. There is no other reason to stay with it. It is harder to use, performance isn't that great either (I suppose if you use a 15 year old machine, then yes, XP makes sense over 7). When I switched from XP to OS X I thought what a revelation. But from OS X to Vista wasn't a problem. They were almost as good. 7 is IMHO better than at least Snow Leopard.