Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2014, 09:02 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Movie Mode: Remote Live Viewing

Greetings All,

New to this forum, and appreciate the dynamic range (pun not intended), of experience, those here have for the Pentax flag. I am a recovering Canon shooter, with a strong will to look broader than traditional options to address current and future work, with current and future systems that are intelligent to the concept of protecting legacy glass (and mounts), through design iterations (FF?), which respect those that have voted, with their respective currency.

From what appears to be a recently re-fueled (Ricoh), Pentax band of collaborating engineers, the K3 has a large swell of potential in both my image and video work. However, and unfortunately, with calls and live chat to Pentax, the following question seems to have the eager and well intended field soldiers short of answers.

Q: Does the K3 posses a way either tethered or wirelessly (Flu), to permit remote viewing (only, not recording to), of video framing or recording, viewing on say either SP, (iOS, Android), or tablet?

My most recent inquiry yesterday (15th), via phone to Colorado, and their subsequent call to U.S. engineering, yielded that another call from myself in 60 days would provide sufficient time to understand this potential by U.S. Pentax, due that they also have not a card in hand at this time. No answer was attempted regarding tethering.

The manual addresses stills regarding Flu, that also has strong potential for me. Tethered or wirelessly for movie is my other interest. My iPad mini with cell/wifi retina certainly trumps any articulating viewing screens. While in the field and in a torrent, and the K3 mounted either on a rail two inches above the mud, or high above on a 30 foot mono pod, I can capture what I need comfortably on two feet. Should this be possible, I would like to think could be a concept solution and creative option to others.

Thank you in advance for your remarks.

RM

01-16-2014, 09:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RainMan Quote

Greetings All,

New to this forum, and appreciate the dynamic range (pun not intended), of experience, those here have for the Pentax flag. I am a recovering Canon shooter, with a strong will to look broader than traditional options to address current and future work, with current and future systems that are intelligent to the concept of protecting legacy glass (and mounts), through design iterations (FF?), which respect those that have voted, with their respective currency.

From what appears to be a recently re-fueled (Ricoh), Pentax band of collaborating engineers, the K3 has a large swell of potential in both my image and video work. However, and unfortunately, with calls and live chat to Pentax, the following question seems to have the eager and well intended field soldiers short of answers.

Q: Does the K3 posses a way either tethered or wirelessly (Flu), to permit remote viewing (only, not recording to), of video framing or recording, viewing on say either SP, (iOS, Android), or tablet?

My most recent inquiry yesterday (15th), via phone to Colorado, and their subsequent call to U.S. engineering, yielded that another call from myself in 60 days would provide sufficient time to understand this potential by U.S. Pentax, due that they also have not a card in hand at this time. No answer was attempted regarding tethering.

The manual addresses stills regarding Flu, that also has strong potential for me. Tethered or wirelessly for movie is my other interest. My iPad mini with cell/wifi retina certainly trumps any articulating viewing screens. While in the field and in a torrent, and the K3 mounted either on a rail two inches above the mud, or high above on a 30 foot mono pod, I can capture what I need comfortably on two feet. Should this be possible, I would like to think could be a concept solution and creative option to others.

Thank you in advance for your remarks.

RM
The flucard comes with an iphone app that gives you remote live view as well as basic tethering and remote control capabilities, but I think it might only work for stills. The card isn't out yet and I don't think it's expected to be ready to hit the market until February or later, however. Pentax USA had a prototype at PhotoPlus back in October, and they showed me how it was supposed to work (based on their training manual), although attempts at a live demo failed at the show.

I believe you can also tether using PK_Tether, a third-party desktop application, but this won't give you remote live view.

But if you're really into video, why not look at a DSLR with built-in wi-fi that's available here and now, like the 6D?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Greetings Adam,

Thank you for your insight to the question. With your firsthand demo of the Flu, I also wonder if perhaps other design features might be still in consideration, in that even with due respect for a proprietary card build, handshake would not seem the impediment, but perhaps the flux of additional capability layers.

Yes, I agree the 6D could be a ready option, but again, that would be a solid relapse to the tenants of my 12 step recovery program. I have been a Canon shooter for 40 years. Wonderful folks, great mantra, I'm simply willing to look wider than my habits.

RM
01-17-2014, 04:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think you could achieve what you need by using a portable HD monitor wired to the HDMI port on the camera. When you plug in a monitor to the HDMI port the monitor will show exactly what is shown on the LCD.
What you would need in addition is a means to control the camera, which I think is currently not possible but will be with the flu-card. As far as I know the K-3 isn't currently supported by PKtether or any other such application but I may be wrong (actually I hope to be).