Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2014, 02:58 AM   #16
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You can. I use Liveview for macro, or more often in the studio for food or product shots on a tripod. Lets you look at the scene and move elements around. On the k-5 I felt the Liveview AF was more accurate, on the k-3 I don't know that there is a lot of difference. But Liveview allows you to zoom in and see which part of a bowl of soup is in focus, which I cannot always tell through the viewfinder with my eyes.

I never use it hand held or when the subject is moving, but that's just me. If the camera did not have it I doubt I would complain but it does have uses and it is very good at what it does. Focus peaking is often a real help with manual focus.

Edit: to avoid the mirror moving to take the shot I often focus in Liveview, then turn off Liveview and shoot using the viewfinder. Lets me use the more accurate Liveview focusing but avoids the extra mirror movement.
Couldn't you also do mirror lock-up for even better IQ since your subject isn't going anywhere?

01-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #17

I believe the new firmware update is supposed to improve the speed of live view focus. Has anyone tried it yet?
01-20-2014, 11:44 PM   #18
Pentaxian

If you put the body on a tripod, live view becomes useful. Otherwise I never use it.
01-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
LV is also useful to calibrate your lenses - often enough the autofocus thru the view finder is not accurate enough, so I need to use the settings menu to perform AD Fine Adjustment (C menu, #26) for each of my lens. Had to do that a lot on my K-5 and expect the same for my new K-3 now.

On taking astro pics: A poor man's replacement for a remote is to use a 2s or 10s timer - that is usually enough to take away the vibrations from pressing the shutter.

On Mirror-Up: I've seen a few posts (here in the forum, I think) claiming that M-U does not give you any measurable advantages, i.e. no less vibrations.

01-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tempelorg Quote
On Mirror-Up: I've seen a few posts (here in the forum, I think) claiming that M-U does not give you any measurable advantages, i.e. no less vibrations.
Not true, MU is way steadier on shutter release. MU gives you the opportunity to pause between MU and shutter release, thus removing the possibility the the mirror flipping up adding vibration during exposure.
01-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #21
Site Supporter

I can categorically state that MLU is needed for telephoto astro work. If you do not use it, there will be mirror bounce visible in the frame. You may not see it if you are doing wide field work.

Jack
01-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #22

I don't believe Steve.Ledger because he's just explaining what sounds reasonable, but that's no proof, that's just a belief - after all, who says you cannot build a system with moving parts inside while its frame remains still?

However, I believe jbinpg because he speaks from experience, not belief. Unless he's lying, of course, which I can't verify

Anyway. I'll shut up now and never claim that MLU doesn't do anything again (which, I admit, I had no proof for, either, just some fuzzy memory that was probably incorrect).
01-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Because thru a viewfinder a star in focus and a star slightly out of focus both look like round circles. With live view you can zoom in a huge amount and see the imperfections of your focus.
That would make sense ... thanks for the feedback.

JP