Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Live View on the K-3

As a DSLR newbie I'm a little confused about "live view". I don't see why I would need it and I've never actually even tried to use it.
I'm just used to looking into the viewfinder to compose a shot and/or focus.
What purposes would "live view" serve in a DSLR?

01-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well I like working with liveview when doing portraits. Just the convenience off looking at the big screen. And in no hurry working with a patient model.

(I also like the K-01 mirrorless for that reason)
01-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
As a DSLR newbie I'm a little confused about "live view". I don't see why I would need it and I've never actually even tried to use it.
I'm just used to looking into the viewfinder to compose a shot and/or focus.
What purposes would "live view" serve in a DSLR?
Comes in really handy for macros and when you want to blow up the image to make sure you've nailed the focus.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Comes in really handy for macros and when you want to blow up the image to make sure you've nailed the focus.
Adam, so when you use "live view" it only lets me snap a shot when I'm in manual focus, is that correct?

01-17-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Adam, so when you use "live view" it only lets me snap a shot when I'm in manual focus, is that correct?
You can use MF and AF, just like through the viewfinder.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-17-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For astrophotography, Live View is a must.

Jack
01-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

In general, live view autofocus on DSLRs is considerably slower than the "normal" phase detection autofocus when looking through the viewfinder. But the live-view autofocus can be more accurate. Also, since it operates with the lens stopped-down, you get a good idea what the image will look like, including DOF. Since it relies on image processing, it can automatically find faces of your subjects and focus on those. In addition to magnifying the image as Adam mentioned, it can also support focus peaking; both are handy when focusing manual lenses.

I definitely use the optical viewfinder more than live view on my DSLRs, but live view has its purposes. I own more cameras with an LCD than a viewfinder, and using those cameras has taught me to appreciate using live view.

01-17-2014, 05:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
....sorry for all the questions but when you use live view for macro or astrophotography, do you also use some sort of remote/wireless shutter activation as to not disturb the camera?
01-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #9
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When you and your eyes are getting on, it's a pleasure to use live view especially for macro or landscapes. I can increase the magnification and get focus that I used to get when I had a younger man's eyes. (with apologies to Billy Joel)
01-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

....sorry for all the questions but when you use live view for macro or astrophotography, do you also use some sort of remote/wireless shutter activation as to not disturb the camera?
You can. I use Liveview for macro, or more often in the studio for food or product shots on a tripod. Lets you look at the scene and move elements around. On the k-5 I felt the Liveview AF was more accurate, on the k-3 I don't know that there is a lot of difference. But Liveview allows you to zoom in and see which part of a bowl of soup is in focus, which I cannot always tell through the viewfinder with my eyes.

I never use it hand held or when the subject is moving, but that's just me. If the camera did not have it I doubt I would complain but it does have uses and it is very good at what it does. Focus peaking is often a real help with manual focus.

Edit: to avoid the mirror moving to take the shot I often focus in Liveview, then turn off Liveview and shoot using the viewfinder. Lets me use the more accurate Liveview focusing but avoids the extra mirror movement.
01-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It lets you take photos from positions you couldn't normally reach.

Comes in handy whenever you use a tripod.
01-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
For astrophotography, Live View is a must.

Jack
I don't do astrophotography but this surprised me ... weird question: how is Live View better for that sort of pics ?

Thanks.
01-17-2014, 08:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi, JP. I should qualify that - for me, the feed out of the HDMI port is essential in astrophotography. I pipe it out to a 7" external LCD field monitor which gives me exactly what you would see through the Live View screen. It is vastly superior to squinting through the back of the viewfinder - which may be pointing directly upward to the zenith - for orienting to your target and obtaining accurate focus. We will need to wait for the Flucard to see if it can replace the field monitor.

And yes, it is "hands off" when releasing the shutter for astro work, usually via an IR remote since even a hard wired remote can induce vibrations at times.

Jack
01-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Hi, JP. I should qualify that - for me, the feed out of the HDMI port is essential in astrophotography. I pipe it out to a 7" external LCD field monitor which gives me exactly what you would see through the Live View screen. It is vastly superior to squinting through the back of the viewfinder - which may be pointing directly upward to the zenith - for orienting to your target and obtaining accurate focus. We will need to wait for the Flucard to see if it can replace the field monitor.

And yes, it is "hands off" when releasing the shutter for astro work, usually via an IR remote since even a hard wired remote can induce vibrations at times.

Jack
Great explanation and, thanks !

I never dared trying anything "astro" except for a few failures for a night sky (which didn't show anything but a black image full of noise).
Some moon shots though ... nothing to brag about.

Cheers.

JP
01-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I don't do astrophotography but this surprised me ... weird question: how is Live View better for that sort of pics ?

Thanks.
Because thru a viewfinder a star in focus and a star slightly out of focus both look like round circles. With live view you can zoom in a huge amount and see the imperfections of your focus.