Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2014, 07:16 AM   #1

K3 Silver battery issue

I have my battery option set for grip first. My display will say depleted battery and shut down the camera when in fact the battery in the grip is drained. I will even shut down and restart but it will keep doing it. When set to grip first, doesn't it automatically switch? If I remove the battery from the grip and then turn on, it's OK. I didn't have this issue with the K5 or K20. Am I doing something wrong?

01-18-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On my K10D, whenever I set the camera to use one or the other battery first, the camera does in fact stop working when the battery is depleted, requiring me to turn the camera off and on again. This is the correct behaviour, according to the manuals.

It might be that your grip battery is recovering just enough when you turn it off to confuse the camera. This is a bug, I think, with the firmware. The instant workaround is to remove the grip battery until you can recharge it. The long term is to report the issue to Ricoh so they know it happens and can update the firmware to modify the detection routines.