Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2014, 06:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-3 LCD screen adjustments

Many of you photographers out there, especially the ones who have had a K-3 more than a week which I have, have probably wondered if the color settings are spot on or at least near enough good to make a judgment in the field if you nailed the photo or not.
I don't use Spyder or any equipment like that but try to calibrate my screens as well as I can with my eye, using a black and white photo or something. It tends to work pretty well, after a couple of years of photography you tend to spot tints in colors.
I was wondering if anyone, either with professional equipment or by using your inner white balance, contrast and saturation meter, have found a sweet spot for your K-3
I'm jumping over from a K10D and the difference between LCD's is just enormous but I kind of get the feeling that the screen might be somewhat over-saturated, although not as much as the K10D was.

01-20-2014, 06:13 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi there.

Funny you should mention that. Yesterday evening my Spyder told me I was due to recalibrate my screen, and I decided to do the same for my new K-3.

I loaded a few pictures on my memory card (with varying colours and brightness) and put them on the computer screen also. I duplicated the results as best I could.

First, I had to lower the brightness of the screen by a fair bit. Then, I increeased contrast a tad, and increased the amber bias. The lastg (green-magenta) I left alone. As best as I can tell, the camera screen now matches my computer screen.

I hope this helps!
01-20-2014, 08:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Hi there.

Funny you should mention that. Yesterday evening my Spyder told me I was due to recalibrate my screen, and I decided to do the same for my new K-3.

I loaded a few pictures on my memory card (with varying colours and brightness) and put them on the computer screen also. I duplicated the results as best I could.

First, I had to lower the brightness of the screen by a fair bit. Then, I increeased contrast a tad, and increased the amber bias. The lastg (green-magenta) I left alone. As best as I can tell, the camera screen now matches my computer screen.

I hope this helps!
It sure does! But you wouldn't mind posting "-2 on brightness" and so on? And I'm guessing you mean saturation when you say contrast?
01-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
It sure does! But you wouldn't mind posting "-2 on brightness" and so on? And I'm guessing you mean saturation when you say contrast?
Yes I meant saturation. I don't have the camera with me, but in my case (not necessarily the same for your camera) it was about - one third of the scale for brightness, plus two thirds of the scale for saturation, plus one quarter of the scale for amber.

01-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #5

Excellent input. The default brightness is way too bright!
01-20-2014, 10:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
...but in my case (not necessarily the same for your camera)...
Naturally, screens differ but there most likely is some factory standard and since we can only calibrate a few steps on the camera and also you have calibrated it after a calibrated screen, I think that the settings you have might be as close as it can get.