Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2014, 03:45 PM   #46
Site Supporter

The first thing I noticed was how similar it was in overall fee to the K5 series, which to me was great. This is even though many of the buttons were different.

Dale

02-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #47
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The first thing I noticed was how similar to the K5 it is. Second, the speed at which AF works compared to the K5. And how neither of them look remotely like my SF1.

02-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #48
Veteran Member

For me the AF button will take some getting used to, I use it extensively and I was well used to the K5 and grip AF buttons, I'm fumbling a lot now and switching between the K5 and K3 is a bit of a nightmare during gigs as I always run two cameras. The grip is a bit too big now too so with its higher weight I;m feeling less comfortable holding it than the K5. It has locked solid on me once already during a performance too, not happy, I had to remove the grip and the body battery to let me continue but as I had a spare K5 and no time to waste the K5 saved the day. And yes I was using the current firmware. I've read other stories of lock-ups too, so I'm reticent to rely on it as my primary camera which is pretty disappointing given all the hype.
02-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #49
Site Supporter

Attention to case build quality, AF control, aperture selection design approach (appreciated), ergonomics with grip, files, all good. First little glass, great, nice DOF drop, more Pentax glass arriving.

Note to Pentax: complete any remaining adjustment to the Flu project, get it in the pipeline.

RM.

Last edited by RainMan; 12-31-2014 at 06:34 AM.
02-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #50
Forum Member

The first thing I noticed was the lock lever around the mode wheel which does nothing but enabling the lock button on the mode wheel, I would like the metering selection here, then you could "feel" if it was in spot, center dominated or matrix. Apart from that little comment the camera is simply wonderful, no weird surprises - it's responsive and fast and always ready.
02-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #51
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sormel Quote
The first thing I noticed was the lock lever around the mode wheel which does nothing but enabling the lock button on the mode wheel, I would like the metering selection here, then you could "feel" if it was in spot, center dominated or matrix. Apart from that little comment the camera is simply wonderful, no weird surprises - it's responsive and fast and always ready.
Let me start by saying I prefer physical switches over electronic settings. I lamented the loss of the metering switch and AF setting switch when I upgraded to the K-3 from the K-5 series. I quickly realized though, at least in regards to the metering switch, that it is nearly as easy to hold the metering button down and scroll while looking through the viewfinder or top or back lcd, all of which tell you in real time what metering setting is enabled. My only qualm with the new setup on the K-3 is that the metering button is poorly placed for use while shooting. I feel it's very un-Pentax to put a button used while shooting out of the way of where the hands usually lie on the camera. Every time I have to change metering I'm reminded of all the buttons left of the LCD on higher end Nikon DSLRs. Completely out of the way.
02-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Let me start by saying I prefer physical switches over electronic settings. I lamented the loss of the metering switch and AF setting switch when I upgraded to the K-3 from the K-5 series. I quickly realized though, at least in regards to the metering switch, that it is nearly as easy to hold the metering button down and scroll while looking through the viewfinder or top or back lcd, all of which tell you in real time what metering setting is enabled. My only qualm with the new setup on the K-3 is that the metering button is poorly placed for use while shooting. I feel it's very un-Pentax to put a button used while shooting out of the way of where the hands usually lie on the camera. Every time I have to change metering I'm reminded of all the buttons left of the LCD on higher end Nikon DSLRs. Completely out of the way.
Another perk of using buttons instead of switches is that you can place those settings in a USER mode, and be done with it.
02-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #53
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
you can place those settings in a USER mode, and be done with it
So very true - in the beginning I was a bit confused about the metering, auto iso, and - well to be honest - most of the things the k-3 could do. So discovering the user mode which enabled me to set my own preferences for both aperture priority at night and day and time priority when using af-c was a big - really big bonus - and now I just wish the user modes should be on a button - and let me select which one using a wheel :-)

02-14-2014, 01:27 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First thing I noticed was it just felt better in my hands better than my K-5 feels more solid and comfortable and I love the way my K-5 feels so this was a surprise that it could be better.
02-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
First thing I noticed was it just felt better in my hands better than my K-5 feels more solid and comfortable and I love the way my K-5 feels so this was a surprise that it could be better.
Well I've shot two shows with my K3 + grip now, and I'm still fumbling to find the AF button on the body, the grip one is fine but the body button is poorly defined and I find difficult to reach. I'm also feeling the extra weight after shooting for several hours and several times I've filled the buffer and had to wait some time for it to flush before I could carry on shooting, the larger files really do slow the file saving down. I may end up being the first person to dump a K3 for a K5II.
02-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #56
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
Well I've shot two shows with my K3 + grip now, and I'm still fumbling to find the AF button on the body, the grip one is fine but the body button is poorly defined and I find difficult to reach. I'm also feeling the extra weight after shooting for several hours and several times I've filled the buffer and had to wait some time for it to flush before I could carry on shooting, the larger files really do slow the file saving down. I may end up being the first person to dump a K3 for a K5II.
Have you used the K-5ii?
02-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Have you used the K-5ii?
No but if the focus is improved over the K5 by a similar degree as the K3 then it might work for me. I'm still shooting K5 along side the K3 and I don't need the extra res for what I do mostly.
02-14-2014, 06:20 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

and several times I've filled the buffer and had to wait some time for it to flush before I could carry on shooting, the larger files really do slow the file saving down. I may end up being the first person to dump a K3 for a K5II.
A faster card solves this, my K3 writes files much faster than my K5IIs but only when I have one of my Sandisk Extreme Pro (95mb/s) cards in it.
Glenn
02-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #59
Veteran Member

OK, thanks, I'm using Sandisk cards rated at 45MB/s, they have worked for me really well in the K5's, I have 4x32GB cards, that's starting to sound expensive to update.
02-14-2014, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, thanks, I'm using Sandisk cards rated at 45MB/s, they have worked for me really well in the K5's, I have 4x32GB cards, that's starting to sound expensive to update.
"45MB/s" is probably the Read speed. It's the Write speed that is of interest in clearing the shot buffer. Use the freeware h2testw to determine this. Here are my figures:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/247218-k3-not-faster-than-...ml#post2658629

The test results show that in my USB3 card reader the 64GB Extreme Pro writes about 8x faster than the 32GB "45MB/s" Ultra.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 02-14-2014 at 07:31 PM.