Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2014, 08:37 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In defence of K-3 buttons

Some people have complained that the K-3 uses buttons instead of switches. I have a STRONG preference for buttons, because they can be controlled electronically. For most scenarios, I use Program Shift, Low-speed continuous burst, AF-S, multi-point metering, center point AF, SR on. I have a User mode dedicated to birds in flight BIF, sports, action; TAv, Hi-speed burst, AF-C, center-point metering, expanded AF point, SR off. All I have to do for a BIF opportunity is change the dial to USER1 and I'm ready to shoot.

On the weekend I used my backup K20D, with USER mode set for BIF (TAv mode), but I couldn't set metering, AF-point, AF-mode or SR electronically, because they are on switches. I don't care that much about metering mode, but having to switch the mode dial, AF-point, SR and AF-C switches was aggravating. I had to do it over and over when I thought I'd have a BIF opportunity, then switch back again. Sometimes of course I forgot something. I love the K-3 buttons, I don't want to go back to switches, ever.

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-20-2014 at 08:45 AM.
01-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good points, Dan. I have only one USER mode on my K10D, and I have it set for my M 400. I wish I had a couple more. The 12-24 takes entirely different settings from everything else, as does the 100/4 macro.
01-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Buttons are nice and convenient, but they do have a major fault, especially when they are many... is easier to push them by mistake when handling the camera.
Switches... not so easy to move by mistake...
01-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Buttons are nice and convenient, but they do have a major fault, especially when they are many... is easier to push them by mistake when handling the camera.
Switches... not so easy to move by mistake...
True in general. I have SR on the RAW/JPEG button. It could be activated accidentally, but I have not done so. I had the AF button set to CANCEL AF, but changed it to AF, because that one I was activating accidentally. The AF-point select and AF mode buttons on the K-3 require you to hold the button while turning a control wheel, so not likely to move accidentally.

01-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do find it very difficult to press the AF button, or AF point select button with gloves on. This time of year, that's a recipe for frozen fingers.
01-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I do find it very difficult to press the AF button, or AF point select button with gloves on. This time of year, that's a recipe for frozen fingers.
I must have good gloves, haven't had that problem. OTOH turning the AF select ring on the K20D is impossible while wearing gloves.
01-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I guess in the end is a matter of personal preference and how willing is to adapt to new things.

01-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
On the weekend I used my backup K20D, with USER mode set for BIF (TAv mode), but I couldn't set metering, AF-point, AF-mode or SR electronically, because they are on switches.
I had never made the connection, but one thing I love about the K-3 is how User modes include so many more settings than on the K20D. Now I understand why. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Lukily the K-3's buttons are not particularly prone to being pressed by mistake.

Get thin gloves inside your larger gloves/mittens. that way you can protect your fingers for even when removing the warmer stuff.
01-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think the way buttons are implemented on the K-3 is near perfect, both in terms of placement as well as the feel and responsiveness.

I cannot think of any single thing about them that is 'wrong'. Still there are few things that could make it even better. What I would change if I could would be:
1. Placing the AF mode button in the centre of the AF/MF switch (the same way like the shutter button is in the centre of the power switch)
2. Have two more fully customisable buttons - one instead of the current AF mode button and one in the centre of the video/stills lever.
3. Slightly change the way the AF and metering modes are selected - just make it so the settings don't 'wrap around'. This would make it more predictable to know what mode you are going to without looking at the display, so for instance turning the dial to the right once AF.C is reached it does not go back to AF.A. That way just going all the way right you are sure to select AF.C without having to check the display.
4. I would make the AF and AE-L buttons protrude just a little bit more, though that might perhaps make it too easy to hit by mistake for those who don't use them regularly.
5. I would make the shutter button a little softer to make it easier for shake free handheld photos, just like the trigger on a sniper's is very soft to allow accurate aiming.
01-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
2. Have two more fully customisable buttons - one instead of the current AF mode button and one in the centre of the video/stills lever.
Maybe. But what I would really love would be to have more options for what these buttons can do. THAT would be useful (and can be done via firmware.

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
Slightly change the way the AF and metering modes are selected - just make it so the settings don't 'wrap around'. This would make it more predictable to know what mode you are going to without looking at the display, so for instance turning the dial to the right once AF.C is reached it does not go back to AF.A. That way just going all the way right you are sure to select AF.C without having to check the display.
Interesting idea, I'm thinking about it, pondering if I would like that better. I think I would. Again, firmware can do it.

The FX button (or its relation to the AF button) is my main gripe. They are too easy to confuse, and I find it hard to find the Fx button. Since I set it to light up the top LCD, it's a severe annoyance that I struggle to find it by touch. After all I use it in the dark... Pressing the EV compensation button like on the K20D to light up the LCD could be a good and simple solution (firmware).

The last thing I would change would be to get some feedback when pressing the bottom right button (the one switching between AF selection and short menues). It,s impossible to know which mode is selected except by looking in the viewfinder (my LCD is blank by default, maybe I could try having it lit up by default but I don't think I'd like that). Sometimes I don't want to look in the viewfinder. Just a short feedback on the back LCD, maybe showing the menu options or AF grid for a few seconds, would be fantastic.

It seems everything that bothers me can be fixed via firmware...
01-20-2014, 01:56 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the number one thing any camera manufacturer can do these days is to document and publicize the APIs that control all functions within the camera. This way third parties can "enhance" the behavior of the system in ways the manufacturer could never dream of. Think what would happen if you could only by Apple software to work with your laptop or iPhone. And witness the "success" the Canon ecosystem is having with hackers "opening up" older Canon models to new features -- it appears that rather than hurting Canon such hacking has instead become a reason to choose Canon! Camera companies are failing precisely because they aren't seeing their systems as "open".

Michael
01-20-2014, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
....rather than hurting Canon such hacking has instead become a reason to choose Canon!
Yep, I'm seriously considering picking up a 600D/T3i just so I can use Magic Lantern! It would be great if ML was available for Pentax
01-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Yep, I'm seriously considering picking up a 600D/T3i just so I can use Magic Lantern! It would be great if ML was available for Pentax
Yeeeesssssss, the Green Lantern
01-21-2014, 06:04 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
the number one thing any camera manufacturer can do these days is to document and publicize the APIs that control all functions within the camera. This way third parties can "enhance" the behavior of the system in ways the manufacturer could never dream of. Think what would happen if you could only by Apple software to work with your laptop or iPhone. And witness the "success" the Canon ecosystem is having with hackers "opening up" older Canon models to new features -- it appears that rather than hurting Canon such hacking has instead become a reason to choose Canon! Camera companies are failing precisely because they aren't seeing their systems as "open".
I agree with this (although not the Apple comment, that company precisely refuses to open their system). I have long found that camera companies are missing the boat on software and connectivity. Even wifi support seems half-hearted. Only Samsung is trying to integrate modern features (like Android) in some of their cameras.
01-21-2014, 06:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I have the same problem - plus at 68 my circulation in my fingertips is not what it was years ago.
The solution I came up with is handwarmer around my waist, some Hothands warming packets, and a pair of gloves with the shooting forefinger and thumb tips cut off on my right hand (shooting hand) and tip of the glove forefinger on my left hand cut off.
see Amazon.com: Cozy Hand Warming Muff with Inner Warmer Pocket: Sports & Outdoors
I also have a pair of large down filled mittens I can use but the hand warmer combined with hot hands works well for me.
I also keep extra batteries warm in the same hand warmer. The Hothand last over 12 hours and work well.