Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2014, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian
Paul the Sunman's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,273
What the switchable AA filter needs to become truly useful is ...

... the ability to bracket Off/1/2.

I bet most of us leave the AA filter off on the K3, because we want the added sharpness, and because moire is relatively rare in most circumstances. You don't know it's there until after the shot, and probably until you get home and view your images on a big screen. The switchable AA filter is the "headline act" of the K3; it's what excited all the initial press interest. But it's no use if it's turned off. What would be truly useful is if we could bracket the AA filter turned off and on, and ideally write the files to separate cards. Then we need only import the second card if we notice moire in a shot.

Easily done with a firmware update?

01-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,002
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
... the ability to bracket Off/1/2.

I bet most of us leave the AA filter off on the K3, because we want the added sharpness, and because moire is relatively rare in most circumstances. You don't know it's there until after the shot, and probably until you get home and view your images on a big screen. The switchable AA filter is the "headline act" of the K3; it's what excited all the initial press interest. But it's no use if it's turned off. What would be truly useful is if we could bracket the AA filter turned off and on, and ideally write the files to separate cards. Then we need only import the second card if we notice moire in a shot.

Easily done with a firmware update?
Yeah, and seems obvious. Surprised it wasn't included...
01-20-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian
JimmyDranox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ploiesti, Romania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,611
Very good idea. You can post it here, to be in the Adam's attention, maybe he will tell this to Ricoh officials when he will meet them at CP+.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/2...ggestions.html
01-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 482
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yeah, and seems obvious. Surprised it wasn't included...
+1.

You forum members with more experience, could you please advise what we should do (in the context of this forum) to get this idea through to Pentax for their consideration?

Thank you.

01-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,002
It is just one of those things you KNOW they thought of, so the question is why isn't it there in the first place? Maybe there is a technical reason...
01-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Paul the Sunman's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,273
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
It is just one of those things you KNOW they thought of, so the question is why isn't it there in the first place? Maybe there is a technical reason...
Perhaps there is a technical difficulty, but I don't see why. On the one hand, the K3 manual (p 80) states that the AA filter is incompatible with HDR capture, which is a type of bracketing. However, it seems to be allowed with normal exposure bracketing.
01-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,002
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Perhaps there is a technical difficulty, but I don't see why. On the one hand, the K3 manual (p 80) states that the AA filter is incompatible with HDR capture, which is a type of bracketing. However, it seems to be allowed with normal exposure bracketing.
Something to do with timing, maybe it needs too long to set-up or something, but does seem like it could manage to go from full-on -> half-on -> off in a burst...
01-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #8
New Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Celje
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Something to do with timing, maybe it needs too long to set-up or something, but does seem like it could manage to go from full-on -> half-on -> off in a burst...
Or if it was an option, as the highlights alert on the LCD, which would appear moire alert on camera lcd. (google translate)

02-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Paul the Sunman's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,273
Original Poster
AA bracketing arrives!

No sooner said that done. Pentax K-3 firmware update 1.02 has introduced AA bracketing! It was an odd omission in the first place, but good to see someone's on the ball.

See this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/250538-new-firmware-v-1-02-a.html
02-04-2014, 03:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,002
Awesome! Now I just have to buy one of those K-3!
02-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #11
Pentaxian
JimmyDranox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ploiesti, Romania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,611
This is a good news from many points of view. And is very encouraging for present and future owners of Pentax cameras. Second upgrade in 3 month, including a new function that is absolutely unique. That's a very good. I just wait to see what will come this Thursday.
02-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #12
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
What exactly is the " switchable AA bracketing" ... ? Maybe a dumb question but I'd like to know what it does/will do.

JP
02-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #13
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
What exactly is the " switchable AA bracketing" ... ? Maybe a dumb question but I'd like to know what it does/will do.

JP
Allow you to shoot a set of 3 shots with AA on high, AA on low, and AA off with one button press. This way if you aren't sure if moire will show, you get 3 shots to choose from.
02-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,002
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
What exactly is the " switchable AA bracketing" ... ? Maybe a dumb question but I'd like to know what it does/will do.

JP
The K-3 has no AA filter -- it uses the shake reduction mechanism to simulate one if you want. It has 3 settings -- off, mild, strong (I don't know what they are actually called). The new firmware allows to you automatically shoot a series of three shots, one at each setting. So since most people's general preference would be to leave it off for maximum sharpness and only turn it on if needed to avoid moire, now if you encounter a scene where you are unsure if moire is going to be a problem, you can turn on AA bracketing and figure out which looks best later in post-production without having to laboriously manually turn it to multiple settings for each shot.

Last edited by vonBaloney; 02-05-2014 at 10:41 AM.
02-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #15
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Allow you to shoot a set of 3 shots with AA on high, AA on low, and AA off with one button press. This way if you aren't sure if moire will show, you get 3 shots to choose from.
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
The K-3 has no AA filter -- it uses the shake reduction mechanism to simulate one if you want. It has 3 settings -- off, mild, strong (I don't know what they are actually called). The new firmware allows to you automatically shoot a series of three shots, one at each setting. So since most people's general preference would be to leave it off for maximum sharpness and only turn it on if needed to avoid moire, now if you encounter a scene where you are unsure if moire is going to be a problem, you can turn on AA bracketing and figure out which looks later in post-production without having to laboriously manually turning it to multiple settings for each shot.
Thanks for the explanation!

I wasn't sure if this would be such a great thing to have but it seems that way.
Mind you, I seldom have used bracketing ... a couple of times for "trial" but no fancy stuff.

Cheers!

JP
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bracket, dslr, filter, k-3, k3, pentax k-3, shot, switchable aa filter
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does the switchable AA filter pose difficult problems for RAW converters? Paul the Sunman Pentax K-3 12 01-20-2014 02:10 PM
What's more useful, a hood or a filter? Fat Albert Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 28 07-22-2013 11:46 AM
Is it possible to remove the AA filter from a DSLR? TropicalMonkey Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 04-30-2013 12:32 PM
low pass filter the same as an AA filter ? dh4412 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 12 10-15-2012 05:12 AM
What does an AA-filter do? DaveHolmes Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 09-10-2012 03:34 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:36 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top