Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2014, 08:42 PM   #1

Pentax K-3 Questions: Advanced Customization

Hi everybody,

I've got a K-3 in hand now, and I'm combing through the controls and trying to set it up the way I really like.

The first thing I'm noticing is that the control dials seem to be slightly sluggish overall when adjusting the aperture and shutter speed electronically. Anybody else know this? Is there some sort of "responsiveness" setting buried somewhere in a custom menu?

Next, during image playback I've figured out how to program the camera to go to 100% zoom with a single click on the rear control dial. (As we discussed in my other topic) However I've noticed that it always zooms to the dead-center of the image. On Canon and Nikon the auto-100% zooming goes to the selected focus point, even if it is off-center. Again, anything buried in the menus about this?

Lastly, (for now...) when zooming in during immediate image playback, I can't scroll from shot to shot until I hit the playback button. Any customization on this front?

Now, to begin digging into the menus.

Oh wait one more thing. Or two.

What's the deal with the green button thing and "Program Line"? I kinda figured out what it does, but what's the point?

Also, what's the deal with the three different sharpening modes, "Extra" and "Fine"? Any recommendations, or does everybody just ignore it since shooting RAW doesn't affect the image in Adobe Lightroom etc...?

Take care,
=Matt=

01-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
What's the deal with the green button thing and "Program Line"? I kinda figured out what it does, but what's the point?
It just resets your shutter speed and aperture to what your camera recommends, since Pentax allows you to set either the aperture or the shutter speed manually without leaving P mode. This saves you the hassle of selecing Tv (S) or Av (A) via the mode dial for on-the-fly adjustments.

Also, what's the deal with the three different sharpening modes, "Extra" and "Fine"? Any recommendations, or does everybody just ignore it since shooting RAW doesn't affect the image in Adobe Lightroom etc...?
This is a pretty standard setting that controls how much sharpening is applied to the JPEG. If you shoot raw then you'll apply the sharpening when developing the file, so you can safely ignore the setting. I usually leave mine in the middle or add +1 for jpegs.

Lastly, (for now...) when zooming in during immediate image playback, I can't scroll from shot to shot until I hit the playback button. Any customization on this front?
Not that I know of.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-22-2014, 09:48 PM   #3
Forum Member

I don't have the K3 but on my K5 while viewing pictures during image playback and zoomed in,I can scroll from image to image by moving the front E dial. It just takes half a second to change from image to image. There was no customization on my part as this is how it came new.Hope this was what you were looking for.
01-22-2014, 10:08 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

The k3 is the same. Rear dial zooms, front dial moves next previous.

01-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #5

On Canon and Nikon the auto-100% zooming goes to the selected focus point
Yes, i've been wanting extactly that feature for a long long time... can't understand why Pentax hasn't got it.

QuoteOriginally posted by theskonesdad Quote
on my K5 while viewing pictures during image playback and zoomed in,I can scroll from image to image
i think Matt meant scrolling from the instant image review that shows you the last image taken shortly after you've taken it, to the previous images that can only be seen in play mode.

he has a point, it should totally be like that, but i'm afraid it's not.
01-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
Yes, i've been wanting extactly that feature for a long long time... can't understand why Pentax hasn't got it.

i think Matt meant scrolling from the instant image review that shows you the last image taken shortly after you've taken it, to the previous images that can only be seen in play mode.

he has a point, it should totally be like that, but i'm afraid it's not.
That is correct; if you hit the "play" button first then you can certainly scroll from image to image while zoomed in using the front dial, however during initial playback if you hit the front dial it assumes you'd like to change the camera settings and playback goes away.

A minor annoyance, actually, considering that some of my other contenders for "best adventure camera ever" don't even have instant 100% zooming like the K-3 does. I've been testing the Nikon D5300 and D5200 (see my previous post with images) which are gloriously lightweight and fantastic for backpacking / travel, ...however they're completely un-sealed and severely limited in high-end functionality.

Actually now after seeing what the K-3 can do with built-in intervalometer shooting and RAW image blending / adding for things like star trails and HDRs, I actually feel like ALL OTHER CAMERAS are severely limited lol... Oh well, I guess I gotta buy one...

BTW that 15mm f/4 is crazy sharp, and I love how it has a hard-stop at infinity focus for stars. The slight field curvature is unfortunate though... I also have the Rokinon 16mm f/2 to test, however it's 4x bigger lol...

=Matt=
01-26-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

That is correct; if you hit the "play" button first then you can certainly scroll from image to image while zoomed in using the front dial, however during initial playback if you hit the front dial it assumes you'd like to change the camera settings and playback goes away.

A minor annoyance, actually, considering that some of my other contenders for "best adventure camera ever" don't even have instant 100% zooming like the K-3 does. I've been testing the Nikon D5300 and D5200 (see my previous post with images) which are gloriously lightweight and fantastic for backpacking / travel, ...however they're completely un-sealed and severely limited in high-end functionality.

Actually now after seeing what the K-3 can do with built-in intervalometer shooting and RAW image blending / adding for things like star trails and HDRs, I actually feel like ALL OTHER CAMERAS are severely limited lol... Oh well, I guess I gotta buy one...

BTW that 15mm f/4 is crazy sharp, and I love how it has a hard-stop at infinity focus for stars. The slight field curvature is unfortunate though... I also have the Rokinon 16mm f/2 to test, however it's 4x bigger lol...

=Matt=
Are talking about the SMC or HD version?