Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
No more separate AF option for Live View only?

I have my K-5 set up to perform AF when I press the shutter button half way down.

But when I use Live View, I don't like it that it hunts for focus every time I press down the shutter button to take another shot - so I've disabled AF via shutter button and use the separate AF button instead for it:

Menu -> #5 -> Buttom Customization -> Shutter Button Half Press -> Off (Live View only)

Now I have the K-3 in my hands and can't seem to enable that same mode again. Where we used to have two separate settings for the AF button and the shutter button, there is only one now, and that works for both View Finder and Live modes, it seems to me, as there is no setting for the "Shutter Button Half Press" any more.

So, does someone know how I set a K-3 to perform AF via the shutter button only in View Finder mode but not in LV? Or is has Ricoh frecked this up?

Last edited by tempelorg; 01-23-2014 at 01:38 PM.
01-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tempelorg Quote
I have my K-5 set up to perform AF when I press the shutter button half way down.

But when I use Live View, I don't like it that it hunts for focus every time I press down the shutter button to take another shot - so I've disabled AF via shutter button and use the separate AF button instead for it:

Menu -> #5 -> Buttom Customization -> Shutter Button Half Press -> Off (Live View only)

Now I have the K-3 in my hands and can't seem to enable that same mode again. Where we used to have two separate settings for the AF button and the shutter button, there is only one now, and that works for both View Finder and Live modes, it seems to me, as there is no setting for the "Shutter Button Half Press" any more.

So, does someone know how I set a K-3 to perform AF via the shutter button only in View Finder mode but not in LV? Or is has Ricoh frecked this up?
I don't think that's possible with the K3. What is really noticeable though is that the Live View AF with the K3 is much more responsive and finds lock a lot faster than it did with either the K5 or K5iis
01-23-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Set the AF button to 'AF2' in the 'button customize' menu. This will disable the shutter button half-press AF.

(p.74 of the K-3 manual)

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 08-10-2014 at 10:12 PM.
01-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Set the AF button to 'AF2' in the 'button customize' menu. This will disable the shutter button half-press AF.

(p.74 of the K-3 manual)

That disables the half press for both normal and live view. The OP was looking for one that only disables the half press for Live View. Which I don't think is possible on the K3.

01-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

p.46 of the manual

Any help?

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 08-10-2014 at 10:12 PM.
01-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #6
jup
Forum Member

I don't think you can do it. I use AF2 (back button autofocus) only, but as was mentioned before, that influences both live view AND viewfinder.

As a workaround, you can use user mode. Create one with setting that you normally use for live view, like back button autofocus and possibly others. AF button customization is part of what gets saved in user mode too.
01-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #7

Original Poster
@jup, your suggestion sounds reasonable as a work-around. I had not expected that button customization would be saved separately per user mode, so I wouldn't have even considered this option without your help.

@Steve.Ledger - thanks for trying twice, but both don't help - I guess I didn't explain my issue well enough.