Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2014, 10:33 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Looking for fast SDHC card? Beware of Sony UHS-I 94 MB/s!

Got my K-3 yesterday and needed a fast memory card for it.

Went to a store (Saturn Hansa in Munich) to buy the Sony SDHC UHS-I 94 MB/s, 32 GB.

Did a speed test: "H" drive mode, PEF files. Pressed the shutter down as long as it kept shooting at the 8/s rate (takes about 23 imgs). The time from pushing the shutter button until the orange "busy" light went off: 55 seconds

Now, others here reported that they found cards that would do this in about 25 seconds or even less.

I went back to the store. The clerk pulls out his own Sony card (same model), and we do the same test: 23 seconds

We re-tested, reformatting each card first. No change.

Examining the rear side of the cards shows fairly different printings on them, see attached img (left: fast card, right: slow card).

Clerk also explained to me that his card is a few months old. So, Sony used to submit fast saving cards at one time and now, months later, switched to slower saving cards, it appears.

Of course, both probably still rate "94 MB/s". After all, that's just the read speed. The fine print on the back of the package says: "write speed lower". That's how Sony covers their asses.

The friendly clerk offered to switch cards, so I now have his used but much faster card.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4S  Photo 
01-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #2

Thank you for your useful information...
I wonder if Sandisk's 90MB/s series use the same trick.....
01-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I started avoiding Sony cards quite long ago, and this is exactly an example of why. I think there was a thread some time ago about the problems in the SD card industry - many companies mix and match components and change their properties without actually changing the label.
I rely on Sandisk. I heard good things about Lexar and Transcend, but I dunno. SD card is such a simple thing, but so important. What good is a great camera and lens, when you get lag and write errors?
01-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sandisk states write and read speeds on their packaging, but make sure to get from a reputable seller or else you may end up with a fake card.

01-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lots of threads reporting issues with Sony cards. I would not touch them.

I use only Sandisk, I have 12 or more and have never had a problem with any of them. Currently using only Sandisk Extreme Pro.
01-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #6

I know that the internet is full of these types of tests, but this one simple and very demonstrative and it does make one wonder.

01-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fzrcraig Quote
I know that the internet is full of these types of tests, but this one simple and very demonstrative and it does make one wonder.
The tests have to be done on your specific camera. On the K-3 the SD Write speeds are much faster, buffer is larger, etc.

In the video the CF card must have a bigger pipe on this camera, SD is probably an afterthought.

01-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
For Christmas my wife got me a 64GB SanDisk Extreme to replace a 32 GB Sandisk Extreme that I bent (still works though). The new one is rated 80MB/S read 60MB/s write while the old one was 45 and 45. Is this an updated version?
01-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote

In the video the CF card must have a bigger pipe on this camera, SD is probably an afterthought.
I tend to agree with you on that... it depends not only on the card itself but the speed of the controller and buffer could play a part in the rating as well.
01-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been using Sandisk cards for more that 20 years now in various devices. Never had a single problem.
01-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I use only Sandisk, I have 12 or more and have never had a problem with any of them. Currently using only Sandisk Extreme Pro.
Yeah, what he said. Only Sandisk for me.
01-25-2014, 08:31 AM   #12
Forum Member

always have to look at what's the write speed. they do trick like saying class10, but only the read speed up to class 10 not write speed
01-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxoe Quote
I have been using Sandisk cards for more that 20 years now in various devices. Never had a single problem.
I too. But also never had a problem with PNY, Transcend, and Lexar.