Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2014, 05:39 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Why would it freeze when zooming? Weird. For the K-5 the SR stutters when you change the focal length...
It does not freeze completely. It freezes for just a second (displaying the last frame before zooming) and the goes on as if nothing has happened. The resulting video is slightly (barely noticeable) choppy in that part.

02-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #152

I find my K-01 is better....separate controls for internal and external mice, better at higher ISO
02-24-2014, 11:36 PM   #153
Pentaxian

Gotta love those internal mice.....
02-25-2014, 07:12 AM   #154
Veteran Member

Cinema 5D, a leading dslr video site, gave the K-3 an absolutely brutal review on YouTube. The worst thing is that it's probably the first time I've ever even seen them mention a Pentax product.

02-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #155
Pentaxian

That websites name wouldn't clue you up to any bias on the part of the authors?

Edit: Oh, My, someone didn't read the manual....

QuoteQuote:
One of the features Pentax has incorporated in all their cameras is the internal optical image stabilization meaning the sensor is moved in order to stabilize your image. This makes all lenses image stabilized. Not quite as effective as a lens IS, but it helps.
Unfortunately when I activated this feature in video mode nothing improved in terms of stabilization on the camera screen.
Instead I found my footage “image stabilized” in a weird way that appeared software-stabilized and in my opinion can not be used.
Frankly, that review is nothing more then lip-service to acknowledge the camera exists.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 02-25-2014 at 10:52 AM.
02-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #156
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote

Frankly, that review is nothing more then lip-service to acknowledge the camera exists.
Well, but EOSHD seems to like the OM-D E-M1 very much. And the Panasonic GH4. And says DSLRs are dead for video.

The criticism about sharpness, I don't know, it looked quite sharp to me, and I don't want oversharpened footage. But other than that... moire and aliasing? Yup, it's there. Bitrate a bit low? Yes. (Though I thought it was a bit higher...) Rolling shutter... yes, though I'm not sure if it is more than with other cameras. IBIS doesn't work for video? Yes. Not being able to use Canon lenses... d'uh.

But the criticism is valid, at least parts of it. Canon shooters* have raw video. Panasonic shooters* have ridiculous bitrates. Nikon shooters* have higher bitrates. Olympus shooters* have IBIS that works during video. Pentax has... hm.

* Some.
02-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote

They are not as biased as the name suggests, they just came up with their name when Canon was really the only company in the game.

Whether or not one agrees with what they have said, they are one of the more influential DSLR video sites, and that review is not going to help the K-3. As mentioned before, they review plenty of cameras positively, so I don't think bias is the problem. I think specs and performance are the problem. What their video demonstrates to me is that they have not achieved optimal image quality from the K-3 video. Whether that is due to user error or not is in question. The people who write on that site, though, are generally knowledgeable, and I give them the benefit of the doubt.

Whether or not is was due to user error, the dynamic range certainly looked small on that video, since the man's white shirt was beginning to blow out...
02-26-2014, 12:43 AM   #158
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
They are not as biased as the name suggests, they just came up with their name when Canon was really the only company in the game.
there is no bias. I think their quick review is more or less correct. The only thing I can't fully agree on is the softness they mention. Treated in post the images turn up sharp and clean to my eyes. At least sharp enough. Maybe they have a bit higher standard in mind.
what ought to be in there as a plus as well is that you can manually dial in the Kelvins. couldn't do that on a canon natively. Don't know about Nikon and so. The battery is also hugely outperforming the batteries in the 650D
Also, they should have mentioned as a plus that it can take pentax lenses :-)

On dynamic range. I think all dslrs for video are the same: poor.. and they all suffer more or less from the same issues anyhow.

02-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #159
Veteran Member

I haven't read it and it may well be all wrong but one thing I do agree with is that the 'Movie-SR' is worse than useless in most cases. They really should put back the mechanical SR that they somehow managed to get to work excellently in the K-r.

On the other hand I wholeheartedly disagree with the statement that "Not quite as effective as a lens IS, but it helps."
There is no fundamental reason why IBIS should be inferior to in lens stabilisation and as far as I can tell the implementation on K-3 is fantastic and actually performs significantly better than the few lens stabilisation systems I have managed to compare it to (one SIgma lens on the Pentax and two or three lenses on a Nikon)
02-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #160
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
I haven't read it and it may well be all wrong but one thing I do agree with is that the 'Movie-SR' is worse than useless in most cases. They really should put back the mechanical SR that they somehow managed to get to work excellently in the K-r.

On the other hand I wholeheartedly disagree with the statement that "Not quite as effective as a lens IS, but it helps."
There is no fundamental reason why IBIS should be inferior to in lens stabilisation and as far as I can tell the implementation on K-3 is fantastic and actually performs significantly better than the few lens stabilisation systems I have managed to compare it to (one SIgma lens on the Pentax and two or three lenses on a Nikon)
IBIS can also compensate for rotation... sadly it doesn't in the K-5 when recording video, perhaps cause the range of movement is too small. But if the sensor could rotate more...
02-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #161
CDW
Veteran Member

I owned a 5D2 at one time and contrary to the thinking of many, I thought the video, to put it mildly...sucked. The ability of wannabe indie film makers to use primes to control DOF aside, most DSLRs and mirrorless designs for that matter, produce fairly terrible HD video when compared to the professional world. Even my lowly Canon M41 camcorder produces IQ that is significantly superior to the K5, K3 or my old5D2. For my purposes, shooting travel and documentary video for my personal use, interchangeable lenses are not a requirement.
02-26-2014, 05:20 PM   #162
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
I owned a 5D2 at one time and contrary to the thinking of many, I thought the video, to put it mildly...sucked. The ability of wannabe indie film makers to use primes to control DOF aside, most DSLRs and mirrorless designs for that matter, produce fairly terrible HD video when compared to the professional world. Even my lowly Canon M41 camcorder produces IQ that is significantly superior to the K5, K3 or my old5D2. For my purposes, shooting travel and documentary video for my personal use, interchangeable lenses are not a requirement.
which makes me wonder whether the whole dslr filming hype will remain for long as maybe better options will become more attractive and affordable?
02-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
which makes me wonder whether the whole dslr filming hype will remain for long as maybe better options will become more attractive and affordable?
I don't think it's accurate to call it hype. It's just that there's a need, and DSLRs have been the most affordable option that fill the need. For example, we used DSLRs for this:

I don't know of any dedicated video cameras for under $1000 that can create this kind of look. If one becomes available, I'll gadly use it.
02-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #164
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
Is it? Cause what I have seen from the 2012 top of the line consumer camcorder from Panasonic was fairly terrible. Poor dynamic range, strange colors (as if individual channels clipped), very sharp (oversharpened) picture with everything in focus, noise reduction in anything but bright sun light, poor low light performance. The shake reduction works extremely well, but looks very artificial. It certainly is more convenient to use, but apart from that? I'll take my K-5 over it any day. It doesn't look anywhere near as video as the Panasonic.
02-26-2014, 11:09 PM   #165
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
The only thing I can't fully agree on is the softness they mention. Treated in post the images turn up sharp and clean to my eyes. At least sharp enough.
Yeah, not getting that either, I downloaded Vimeo MP4's and watched, and no less sharp then any others, ( With consideration of the MP4 compression of course).

CDW: where DSLR/MILC's come in to their own, is achieving the same Depth-of-Field as 35mm Film cameras ( Not 35mm Stills Cameras). The APS-c sensor is very close to the size of the 35mm frame as the film runs vertically through the gate. The 's35' size sensor is meant to be the same size.

The only Professional grade camera that can match the DSLR/MILC price point is the BMD-CC. The Panasonic AG-AF100 series came close, but in low light, they suck balls.
And even with the latest price drops, by the time your ready to shoot on the BMD-Pocket, it's cost you more then a K3 with kit lens, and ready to shoot, the BMD-CC with EF mount is still about twice the price of a K3,..... or about the same price as a K3 with Kit lens and an Atomos Ninja and pair of SSDs.

On Dynamic Range,.. lets not forget that conforming to REC709 looses a fair bit of the dynamic range.
Consumer grade video camera often only have between 5 and 7 stops dynamic range. Broadcast ENG camera are around 9 to 11 stops, which is where the 5D sits too, DxoMark has measure our favorite brand around the 12 and 13 stop range, line ball with the BMD-CC, and only camera's like the Arri Alexa, RED (Mysterium), PMW-F3/F55/F65 and the lovely prototype Aaton Penelope Delta have 15 stops and above.
More stops range usually means waaaaay more cost.