Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
03-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #226
Veteran Member

Yes, I always dial off contrast and sharpness no matter which picture style/profile I choose.
In fact, the MX-1 does surprisingly nice video after dialing cont/sharp right off. I like it better than the K-01.

03-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #227
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Yes, I always dial off contrast and sharpness no matter which picture style/profile I choose.
In fact, the MX-1 does surprisingly nice video after dialing cont/sharp right off. I like it better than the K-01.
Yes, I wondered about that. The sensor is smaller, less downscaling, more depth of field, so it should be better for wide scenes.
only a pity it can't do manual i believe.
Not sure how dynamic range is.
I'd love to get my hands on a file from the mx1 that i can play around with in post. wide scene, landscape.
Possible?
03-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #228
Veteran Member

Sure why not. It's a dull morning here but I can shoot something just to play with.

---------- Post added 03-06-14 at 10:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
I'd love to get my hands on a file from the mx1 that i can play around with in post. wide scene, landscape.
Possible?
See the MX-1 forum for the link to three vids to play with. One at 4x Optical zoom and two at full wide.
Don't forget to post your results!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/7-pentax-compact-cameras/252450-mx-1-vide...ml#post2729831

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 03-06-2014 at 01:06 AM.
03-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stagnant Quote
K-3, DA 21 mm Lim, 30 FPS, F8, stabilization off; another sample with the same settings.
K-01, DA 21 mm Lim, 30 FPS, F8, stabilization off ; another sample with the same settings.
Same ship as before. Short clips. Shot on different days. Video from K-3 seems to display less aliasing and looks smoother. K-01 output looks oversharpened and shows more aliasing.
I see a massive difference in IQ. The K-01 scene seems to be a bit more challenging, but in general the codec in the K-3 seems to compress much better than the K-01, despite having similar bitrates. The K-3 seems only a bit inferior to the K-5. The K-01 though... also contrast and sharpening seems to be way higher, which could give the codec problems. Sharpening gives the encoder way more detail that it has to compress, so if you run into blocking artifacts I'd suggest to reduce sharpening to the absolute minimum that is possible. That way the encoder can concentrate on the actual detail that is there, and you can still add sharpening in post.

When I reduce the contrast with my K-5 I seem to either, depending on natural or muted, get raised dark areas where I can see massive banding (say... some areas are 0, and the next step the sensor can retrieve above it is 10 already, then 13, 15, 16, ... especially in dark areas. That's not so useful, sadly) or bright areas where the sensor hits the limit (similar, just, well, 228, 230, 255. Something like that). Not sure if it is a sensor problem (there's just not more dynamic range). Could try that at some point by shooting a RAW photo together with a JPEG, I guess... See if there is more in the RAW.

03-06-2014, 12:53 AM   #230
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
See the MX-1 forum for the link to three vids to play with. One at 4x Optical zoom and two at full wide.
Don't forget to post your results!
thks! i'll download it tonight.
I'm curieus about it.

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I see a massive difference in IQ. The K-01 scene seems to be a bit more challenging, but in general the codec in the K-3 seems to compress much better than the K-01, despite having similar bitrates
Really guys, the K3 is a very different beast from the K01. The videos are nice & clean and easy to work with in post.
But a slightly higher bitrate would have been welcome, just to resolve that extra detail and maybe a bit more dynamic range.
Can't compare to the K5. The clips I saw from it had that extra detail baked in...

Btw, i'm travelling to iceland next month. So I have bought a gorillapod. And actually, it's a good help in stabilizing handheld footage.
I just put one or two legs against my chest, and you can get the cam quite stable. cost me 30euros. just a hint...
03-06-2014, 01:07 AM   #231
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
thks! i'll download it tonight.
I'm curieus about it
3 files actually
03-06-2014, 03:50 AM   #232
Veteran Member

That's a cool idea with the gorilla pod. I'd like to get my hands away from the camera, well, one hand at least, one is needed to focus. So I can reduce rotation, everything else is stabilized nicely.

You can look at (almost) unedited sample files in one of my last postings to a Google drive. Unfortunately I made a color conversion mistake on most of them, so a bit of dynamic range is lost. Otherwise though they are original, apart from a color denoiser and additional compression (hardly noticeable though).

03-07-2014, 02:12 AM   #233
Veteran Member

Firmware updates,...
No changes to video in the K-01, any updates in the K3?
HDMI ??
03-07-2014, 02:43 AM   #234
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Firmware updates,...
No changes to video in the K-01, any updates in the K3?
HDMI ??
They didn't announce anything, did they? It's only so that we can spend more money on a new adapter, that's all that is new. It's Pentax we're talking about anyway.

Don't expect any change to cameras older than the K-3... even with the K-3 I wouldn't hold my breath.
03-08-2014, 12:28 AM   #235
Veteran Member

About the only negative I need to see changed before committing to purchase, is for the HDMI to have clean, recordable output enabled....

Everything else, including the CoDec, can be gotten around once the HDMI is sorted.
03-08-2014, 01:33 AM   #236
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
About the only negative I need to see changed before committing to purchase, is for the HDMI to have clean, recordable output enabled....

Everything else, including the CoDec, can be gotten around once the HDMI is sorted.
True, however in that case why not buy a Nikon D5300? Better suited sensor with a minimum of aliasing, great low light performance, a better codec to begin with, and clean HDMI. Now for us Pentaxians who already have Pentax lenses a Pentax might still make more sense, and keeping the few Pentaxians there are with the brand is surely a good thing, but Pentax should try to get people from other brands too. And in order to do so, you need to offer MORE than the competitors. IMHO that chance lies within the image stabilizer. Enable it and clean HDMI/better codec, and suddenly you have a D5300 on one side, with a wonderful aliasing free picture that can only be really used with stabilized lenses, and a K-3 on the other side with slightly lesser image quality, but with a stabilized picture regardless of the lens. That could draw people towards Pentax, which is what the brand will ultimately want.

Maybe Ricoh should read this interview:
CP+ 2014: Canon Interview - 'We don't see the smartphone as an enemy': Digital Photography Review
03-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #237
Veteran Member

I has bag o' lenses,....
I neeeeeeeed hdmi.
03-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #238

You video guys are taking this thread to a Hollywood level. How do I remove myself from this thread?
03-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #239
Veteran Member

Gosman: You Can't!, Yer in our clutches forever,.. mua hahahahahahaha

Or you could just click the 'Unsubscribe from this thread' link at the top of the page....
03-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #240

Thanks Rex- I see it. I'm out of here.