Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2014, 01:28 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Yeah. Maybe some cinema only cameras can do it, but actual global shutter, no. The K-5 or OM-D E-M1 can stabilize so that it won't be so visible. But it might give you a look you don't want. A global shutter will give you more possibilities.

01-26-2014, 07:12 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
If he really wants that, he'll have to rule out most DSLRs and rent gear (high end Red Epics, etc.)
AFAIK most DSLRs w/ CMOS chips don't have global shutter...only the CCD chips had it...
Yeah, we are looking at the soon to arrive Blackmagic 4k camera. Frankly he liked the Panasonic GH2 but the rolling shutter was a non-starter and as far as we know the blackmagic is the only alternative - pricey but its for a serious stab at a film carrier.
01-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
@lister - Get yourself a grip for your K-3. Then you can use AAs all you like with the adapter.
I know the grip can take AAs but it is not nearly the same as being able to pop AAs directly into the camera. I don't see the grip as a viable option just to be able to use AA batteries, way too bulky for everyday carry around use. I don;t have one because I find it quite rare that I shoot in poirtrat but even if I had one I doubt I'd carry it around with me often.
01-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
Yeah, we are looking at the soon to arrive Blackmagic 4k camera. Frankly he liked the Panasonic GH2 but the rolling shutter was a non-starter and as far as we know the blackmagic is the only alternative - pricey but its for a serious stab at a film carrier.
Apparently, the Red sensor is also rolling shutter since it's CMOS:
RED's CMOS Sensor Rolling Shutter or Global Shutter?
They did this cool mount that looks like it's effectively a high speed LCD that can turn off and on to give you a pseudo global shutter as well as a variable ND:
RED Goes Global Shutter with New Motion Mount for EPIC/SCARLET (Plus New DRAGON Footage)
It's a clever workaround since their sensors can do high ISO. I'm constantly amazed by the stuff they come up with

And Sony is starting to work on global shutter for CMOS sensors:
Image Sensors World: Sony Announces 2.35MP CMOS Sensor with Global Shutter

Just make sure he remembers that a lot of good work has been done w/ the GH2 as well as the 5DmkII and current DSLRs, so a good camera body is the least problem nowadays

01-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Apparently, the Red sensor is also rolling shutter since it's CMOS:
RED's CMOS Sensor Rolling Shutter or Global Shutter?
They did this cool mount that looks like it's effectively a high speed LCD that can turn off and on to give you a pseudo global shutter as well as a variable ND:
RED Goes Global Shutter with New Motion Mount for EPIC/SCARLET (Plus New DRAGON Footage)
It's a clever workaround since their sensors can do high ISO. I'm constantly amazed by the stuff they come up with

And Sony is starting to work on global shutter for CMOS sensors:
Image Sensors World: Sony Announces 2.35MP CMOS Sensor with Global Shutter

Just make sure he remembers that a lot of good work has been done w/ the GH2 as well as the 5DmkII and current DSLRs, so a good camera body is the least problem nowadays
Red Epic vs DSLR's - Shot Design Filmmaking Tutorial - YouTube
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I've tried to tell hime that some DSLRs may be good enough - we're both impressed with even the K5ii... looks great - but he's strongly averse to the rolling shutter so I'm just going to go along with him on this one.

PS: Actually... just saw a few secs of the video you posted and looks interesting. I'll get my son to check it out. Thanks.

Last edited by gbeaton; 01-26-2014 at 06:05 PM. Reason: adding PS:
01-28-2014, 09:55 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I was waiting for to get the new K-3 ..
>> +headphone out +full manual controle on sound, ISO, and shutter-speed.

But because of low bitrates and a terrible Movie SR I bought an old K-5 with
good old sensor SR (that also has problems while panning but is far better than
K-3 movie SR)
The K-5 got better bitrates for MJPEG wich is more stable compared to K3 codec.

Watch my newest K-5 video:
SR is ON
allways.
Filmed just out of my hands always
Viewed with displayviewfinder by GGS

Problems:
Expensive Hoya ND filter still creates a ghost/ reflection sometimes ...

To bright sometimes because I am still learningt to controle f-stop combined
with pressing button AE-L to hold down automatic ISO and shutter-speed ...

Last edited by TomGarn; 01-28-2014 at 10:01 PM.
01-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Looks good to me. And it seems like you've got those pans under control.
01-29-2014, 04:11 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Just Quickly,...

Global Shutter Cameras under $10k, that are available to actually buy.

Bolex D16

Yep, that's it.
Sure, there are secondhand items like the JVC GZ-HD7, or Canon XL-H1s, and B4-Mount ex-broadcast cameras, but they are all smaller sensors, so 'experts' will tell you that you can't get shallow-depth-of-field out of them (cough Bulls%^t, cough). And no, I won't be selling my HD7, not now that I've figured out the colour balance tweaks to match it to my K-01,.... ready for when I finally get my hands on a K3.

The BMD 4K is Global sensor, but not yet available for sale.

And on CoDecs - Mjpeg uses less resources in the PC when editing, Mpeg4/h.264 is a better 'delivery' format, not a shooting and editing format.

And after a bit of reading, Compressed CinemaDNG (as per the BMD-Pocket) is a DNG sequence with each frame compressed using Jpeg compression,...
So CineDNG is really really really high bit rate Mjpeg..... lololololol

Given Pentax's past history with Mjpeg, and being able to write it to older SD cards, I'm really hopeful that they can toss the h.264 and go to a 'production' CoDec like CineDNG, at 10 bits, and give all us video-shooters the tool to kill the competition.

01-29-2014, 07:03 AM   #24

Batteries

I hated my old istDS that took double A batteries. So love the one battery in my K-3.
Even when I get my grip, in goes the camera battery to keep the weight down!
01-29-2014, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Bolex D16
I googled that Bolex D16 - hahaha - It looks very weird and retro ! Funny to me is they still have
the same handle and start-button that I used in the sixities, when I filmed with my father's Bolex
double 8 with manual winder ...

Mjpeg uses less resources in the PC when editing,
Mpeg4/h.264 is a better 'delivery' format, not a shooting and editing format.

Given Pentax's past history ... give all us video-shooters the tool to kill the competition.
When seeing this Bolex now and remembering that weird looking Pentax K-01 one might dream about
somebody still courageous enough to do something intelligent and phantastic - but I doubt it as you know.
Whenever Pentax tried something original outstanding and new they missed the train even more ... Good luck !

But now: A must for all friends of a most unusual camera
Have fun - it's a classic story:

THE TWILIGHT ZONE S02E10 - A Most Unusual Camera - Watch Online For Free on TubePlus
01-29-2014, 07:20 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Ah, I didn't know that the small BMPC does JPEG DNG... that keeps bitrates low. The 5D Mk III uses uncompressed RAW files if I read that correctly. There is a big difference between MJPEG and lossy DNG though: Lossy DNG is saved so that you keep (almost) all the posibilities of regular lossless DNG. I use it all the time to save space. You can still change white balance (with huge latitude), you still have lots of dynamic range, etc. CineDNG should have 12 or 14 bit.

I think Pentax could absolutely do MJPEG. They should keep h264 for situations where you need to cram a lot of stuff on a SD card, and quality isn't THAT important. CineDNG can be lossless too, and the K-3 has the capability to save lossless DNG, not lossy DNG. Since it can save to two SD cards at the same time it should doable, even if the card reader isn't fast enough with just one SD card.

Btw., Sony has a new h264 based standard called XAVC, which allows for 10 and 12 bit h264. They use it for at least 10 bit h264 already in some cameras.

The big, the very big question is if Ricoh/Pentax are interested in updating their camera. They could easily (probably) activate electronic SR on the K-3. They could easily have given us an option to turn the Fx button into a start video recording button on the K-5. They could easily have given us manual control over aperture, exposure and ISO in video mode. Did they?

Oh, and a final btw., I've just noticed a bug on the K-5 with the DA 50 1.8... actually I noticed it before, and managed to verify that the K-5 and the K-3 are affected, but only with the DA 50 1.8 (any DA 50 1.8 probably). Shoot anything with the exposure locked, and turn the focus ring. At some point you will see the screen get brighter or darker, and you may be able to feel and hear the camera changing the aperture. You can move back, at the same point it will go the other way, etc. It's like the closer part of the focus range is shot at a different aperture than the further away part (we only tested it without recording, but the problem is also there during recording).

@gosman: You didn't use eneloops in the *istDS, did you? Once I switched to them I had no problems with the *istDS anymore. It performed very well, and I could take over a thousand photos with it. Weight... the overall camera weight is still lower for the *istDS. The K-5 battery does last longer, if it's an original one, but if you didn't bring your charger or a backup battery you are in trouble.
01-29-2014, 07:51 AM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Just Quickly,...

Global Shutter Cameras under $10k, that are available to actually buy.

Bolex D16

Yep, that's it.
Sure, there are secondhand items like the JVC GZ-HD7, or Canon XL-H1s, and B4-Mount ex-broadcast cameras, but they are all smaller sensors, so 'experts' will tell you that you can't get shallow-depth-of-field out of them (cough Bulls%^t, cough). And no, I won't be selling my HD7, not now that I've figured out the colour balance tweaks to match it to my K-01,.... ready for when I finally get my hands on a K3.

The BMD 4K is Global sensor, but not yet available for sale.

And on CoDecs - Mjpeg uses less resources in the PC when editing, Mpeg4/h.264 is a better 'delivery' format, not a shooting and editing format.

And after a bit of reading, Compressed CinemaDNG (as per the BMD-Pocket) is a DNG sequence with each frame compressed using Jpeg compression,...
So CineDNG is really really really high bit rate Mjpeg..... lololololol

Given Pentax's past history with Mjpeg, and being able to write it to older SD cards, I'm really hopeful that they can toss the h.264 and go to a 'production' CoDec like CineDNG, at 10 bits, and give all us video-shooters the tool to kill the competition.
OMG! European styling That Bolex looks older than my dad's 8mm Bolex! I'm not man enough to buy such a contraption
01-29-2014, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The big, the very big question is if Ricoh/Pentax are interested in updating their camera. They could easily (probably) activate electronic SR on the K-3. They could easily have given us an option to turn the Fx button into a start video recording button on the K-5. They could easily have given us manual control over aperture, exposure and ISO in video mode. Did they?
Why not open up a thread now kadajawi - It could be a question and a petition at the same time
We ask them why they didn't do any new real videofirmware and what they think will happen in the future ?
Make it an official letter to Pentax - and before that we gather a wish-list for firmware and the K-1 ...
01-29-2014, 08:04 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
OMG! European styling That Bolex looks older than my dad's 8mm Bolex! I'm not man enough to buy such a contraption
Your dad too ?
hahaha ... we have some old karma here ... !

A must for all friends of a most unusual camera
Have fun - it's a classic story:

THE TWILIGHT ZONE S02E10 - A Most Unusual Camera - Watch Online For Free on TubePlus
01-29-2014, 08:06 AM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Oh, and a final btw., I've just noticed a bug on the K-5 with the DA 50 1.8... actually I noticed it before, and managed to verify that the K-5 and the K-3 are affected, but only with the DA 50 1.8 (any DA 50 1.8 probably). Shoot anything with the exposure locked, and turn the focus ring. At some point you will see the screen get brighter or darker, and you may be able to feel and hear the camera changing the aperture. You can move back, at the same point it will go the other way, etc. It's like the closer part of the focus range is shot at a different aperture than the further away part (we only tested it without recording, but the problem is also there during recording).
Thats not the aperture changing. Its noise from the SR. Turn your SR off and the noise goes away.

This is something I'm kind of bothered about. I'm not sure if by having SR on that the image is free of fits and jumps. I've tried testing but not sure if the jumps are a playback issue or recording issue.