Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What's The Verdict On Video...

with the K-3? Has anyone had problems with the "Jello Effect"?

01-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

PF is full of K-3 video-horror stories.
Starting a new thread will only bring on a repeat of what has already been wailed about over and over again

(Cut a long story short, K-3 video is great in the right hands, cr*p in the wrong ones)
01-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The K-3 is average, like other DSLRs. It requires gear to stabilise, otherwise it will jelly around. Only older Pentaxes like the K-7 and K-5 and the Olympus OM-D line don't suffer from jello.
01-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The K-3 is average, like other DSLRs. It requires gear to stabilise, otherwise it will jelly around. Only older Pentaxes like the K-7 and K-5 and the Olympus OM-D line don't suffer from jello.
Really??? How is the K5 better? Does that include the K5ii? Can you direct me to some demonstrations?

01-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Only older Pentaxes like the K-7 and K-5 and the Olympus OM-D line don't suffer from jello.
?

CMOS sensors all have the jello effect.
It's because they read out the data line by line instead of snapshotting all the pixels at once like CCD sensors did...
01-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Jello is minimized by the mechanical stabilization in the K-x, k-5, and K-7 bodies.
01-24-2014, 10:07 PM   #7

Jello?

What is Jello effect? Had my K-3 for over a week and haven't even tried out the video. Old timer here.

01-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Jello Effect ► Rolling shutter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
01-25-2014, 01:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Feel free to watch the videos here:
kada jawi - YouTube
I think the description always includes the lens that was used, and I haven't used any stabilisation gear at all. At most I was sitting (the Dayang Noraini video), in the 27mm video I was actually walking, climbing up stairs... (and I've gotten better at it).

I don't notice jello, rolling shutter etc. What little there is is masked by the movement.

And yes, including the K-5 II/IIs. Maybe if we make enough noise Pentax/Ricoh will listen and deactivate the extra crop in video mode/make it possible to use the IBIS as well as the electronic SR. Choice is good.

@kenyee: The IBIS in the older Pentaxes works well enough to eliminate quick movements even with long lenses (say 200mm). As it is the quick movements that result in jello (especially if stabilised electronically in camera or on the computer) you won't get to see it, unless you pan quickly. If you stabilise other cameras with CMOS sensor well enough you won't get to see it either, except for in the most extreme situations (unless the sensor really sucks).

Oh, and I need to stress that the jello becomes really bad when you try to stabilise the video after it was captured by the sensor (for example through the software in the camera as the K-3 does it). It captures the jello in all of its glory, and then stabilises one part of the video. Instead of having the shaky camera hide a bit of the jello, it appears amplified.

Last edited by kadajawi; 01-25-2014 at 03:05 AM.
01-25-2014, 03:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
PF is full of K-3 video-horror stories.
Starting a new thread will only bring on a repeat of what has already been wailed about over and over again

(Cut a long story short, K-3 video is great in the right hands, cr*p in the wrong ones)
It is great in the right hands and the right situation and application. In other specific situations it is just useless
, no matter how good hands it is in. The only thing that can make it work in such situations is a gyro stabilised platform costing ten times as much as the camera - or alternatively to use an old K-r instead of the K-3.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way saying I don't like the K-3, but saying that its video is crap only in the wrong hands is just not right,

There are only two things I don't like about the K-3 - the awful and near useless Movie-SR and not being able to run on AA batteries. Everything else is just about perfect as one could reasonably expect. Its a pity because the movie-SR is such an easy thing for them to fix (just copy what they did in the K-r).
01-25-2014, 06:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
It is great in the right hands and the right situation and application. In other specific situations it is just useless
, no matter how good hands it is in. The only thing that can make it work in such situations is a gyro stabilised platform costing ten times as much as the camera - or alternatively to use an old K-r instead of the K-3.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way saying I don't like the K-3, but saying that its video is crap only in the wrong hands is just not right,

There are only two things I don't like about the K-3 - the awful and near useless Movie-SR and not being able to run on AA batteries. Everything else is just about perfect as one could reasonably expect. Its a pity because the movie-SR is such an easy thing for them to fix (just copy what they did in the K-r).
It's probably a switch in their firmware, since the camera obviously can do SR when doing video (switch to live view...). Are there downsides to using SR? Yes, probably, but at least we could be given the choice what we want. There are a few other things they could have done better in the K-3 in terms of video... namely bitrates, perhaps MJPEG support, and a clean HDMI output, but it is a pretty much perfect camera. Just these few small things that could probably be fixed in firmware, if they wanted to.

Oh, but saying the K-r stabiliser could compete with say a Movi is going a bit too far. I'd say in the right hands, with lots of practice, you could get something like a glidecam out of the SR. And it could make say a shoulder rig much smoother. But Movi is on a different level.
01-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Feel free to watch the videos here:
kada jawi - YouTube
I think the description always includes the lens that was used, and I haven't used any stabilisation gear at all. At most I was sitting (the Dayang Noraini video), in the 27mm video I was actually walking, climbing up stairs... (and I've gotten better at it).

I don't notice jello, rolling shutter etc. What little there is is masked by the movement.

And yes, including the K-5 II/IIs. Maybe if we make enough noise Pentax/Ricoh will listen and deactivate the extra crop in video mode/make it possible to use the IBIS as well as the electronic SR. Choice is good.

@kenyee: The IBIS in the older Pentaxes works well enough to eliminate quick movements even with long lenses (say 200mm). As it is the quick movements that result in jello (especially if stabilised electronically in camera or on the computer) you won't get to see it, unless you pan quickly. If you stabilise other cameras with CMOS sensor well enough you won't get to see it either, except for in the most extreme situations (unless the sensor really sucks).

Oh, and I need to stress that the jello becomes really bad when you try to stabilise the video after it was captured by the sensor (for example through the software in the camera as the K-3 does it). It captures the jello in all of its glory, and then stabilises one part of the video. Instead of having the shaky camera hide a bit of the jello, it appears amplified.
Thanks for the demo. The IBIS definitely seems to help. I'm not sure it its enough for son who wants the stability of a uniform (global) shutter for filming. What gets me is why Pentax would come out with a new camera like the K3 that performs worse than the K5. It boggles the mind... If they're going to put a feature like video in the camera then they should take is seriously.

PS: so glad I have the K5ii and not the K3

Last edited by k5astro; 01-25-2014 at 08:19 AM. Reason: added PS.
01-25-2014, 11:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
Thanks for the demo. The IBIS definitely seems to help. I'm not sure it its enough for son who wants the stability of a uniform (global) shutter for filming. What gets me is why Pentax would come out with a new camera like the K3 that performs worse than the K5. It boggles the mind... If they're going to put a feature like video in the camera then they should take is seriously.

PS: so glad I have the K5ii and not the K3
The funny thing is they took video more serious with the K-3! The audio features, having a headphone jack, being able to monitor the audio and to set the gain, that's some pretty nice stuff. And you can easily access the video functions. And manually set exposure. In most areas it is a better camera. It has a more efficient codec, which at least saves space... not sure if it actually gives a quality improvement over the ancient MJPEG used in the K-5. But for some reason they screwed up here. And it's not the first Pentax not to have IBIS, and it's not the first time Pentax users are complaining about the lack of it. Yet they listened when it came to having a switch for video mode, having better audio, ...
01-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@lister - Get yourself a grip for your K-3. Then you can use AAs all you like with the adapter.
01-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
son who wants the stability of a uniform (global) shutter for filming
If he really wants that, he'll have to rule out most DSLRs and rent gear (high end Red Epics, etc.)
AFAIK most DSLRs w/ CMOS chips don't have global shutter...only the CCD chips had it...