Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mixed Emotions.

Today whilst down at the equestrian centre taking photos of the show jumping training rounds, my faithful K5 (classic) started
having convulsions and ended up in a bad way. The shutter shut down and wouldn't work properly, sometimes it would and sometimes it wouldn't,
even when focused. Swapped cards, turned off and on, popped the battery and tried different modes, all to no avail. Tomorrow I'm supposed to
be taking photos of the Polo cross in Perth, West Aus, which is part of the Australia day celebrations, not happy Jan. BUT, on the up side it has forced
my hand, I'm now the proud owner of the Pentax K3. Fortunately I was able to get my hands on one. First impressions?..... sweet, definitely an improvement.
Rattled a few shots off and had a bit of a play around before updating firmware. I'm going to enjoy the K3. Naturally I'll have to tweak it a little to suit me and
my tastes. I think the focus is a little sensitive (single point) as some times had trouble locking focus on flower buds and green fruit on the tree but It could just
be me, I'll know more tomorrow. Hopefully be able to post a half decent pic at least.

Eric.

NB. Using DA* 50-135 F2.8

01-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about the K5c. I hope the K3 will be great for you. We will look forward to some photos posted. Any idea about what caused the problems with the K5c? I have the K5c that I hope will last for a very long time.
01-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #3
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eebll Quote
I'm now the proud owner of the Pentax K3.
A sad news, good news story. I also own a K5c and would be interested in the diagnosis on the camera failure you experienced
01-25-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
You could check if your battery off the K-5 is still okay. Sometimes that can be the problem. Enjoy your K-3.

01-25-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Eebll Quote
I think the focus is a little sensitive (single point) as some times had trouble locking focus on flower buds and green fruit on the tree but It could just
be me, I'll know more tomorrow.

Eric.

NB. Using DA* 50-135 F2.8
I too usually use single selected point focus on the K5, but am now getting into the habit of using full 27-point focus on the K3, unless I'm trying to hit an off-centre subject in a very composed shot. I'm astonished how reliable and accurate the 27-point auto focus is! Shot 110 photos yesterday, all in perfect focus.
01-25-2014, 06:35 PM   #6

Original Poster
I don't think it's the battery although It is getting a little long in the tooth. It was fully charged at the time and is now firing away sweetly in the K3, Who can wait for the new battery to charge
The shutter has done around 70 odd thousand actuations. (the K5 was my learning curve camera). I was starting to have some probs with the camera not wanting to lock on focus, don't know
if that is part of the problem or not. I'll have to send it in for a quote to see if it's worth fixing. May just have to go for a K5 lls or save a little longer for a second K3. I was getting the K3 so that I
would have a camera when my daughter comes with me to take pics (she takes mine of me and it can be hard to get it back ). I'll try the new battery latter and see what happens. Will keep you
posted and hopefully can put up a pic or two of the polo cross this evening. My daughter loves photographing the polo cross so I don't know that I'll get much shooting in myself But I taught her well.

Eric.
01-25-2014, 07:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try reinstalling the firmware. Something might have gone wonky with the software. (yes, wonky is a technical term:-)

02-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hi all, sorry I haven't got back sooner,been a little busy between my day job, taking photos, editing and catching up on some much needed sleep. I've cropped these photos some, the skydiver I've cropped a lot, about 70 odd %.
They are a little under exposed but hey, I'd only had the camera about 24 hrs. Nothing else has been touched. I've put in some playing around time and am happy to say they're getting better as I get more of a feel for it. The lens is the DA* 50-135.
The only photo I can confidently say I took was the sky diver and the Aussie flag, yep, my daughter hogged the camera for most of the arvo. They were shot in jpg.
I don't know if I am allowed to put in a link to my website so mods please remove if not.
Eric Lloyd Photography | Australia Day Polo Cross this link takes you to the polocross Australia day pics on my web.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo