Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2014, 02:37 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K3 jpeg unknown lens in Aperture

In addition to there being no Apple support yet for RAW files from the Pentax K3, there is even a problem with jpeg. With all lenses, Aperture reports "Unknown Lens" in the EXIF for jpeg files. Pentax Digital Camera Utility 5 reports the correct lens. Has anybody else seen this? I have tried Pentax DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-135, and Tamron 90 (actually, DCU doesn't report the Tamron, but I guess that's normal). I have the latest Aperture (3.5.1) and Version 1.01 firmware in the K3.

01-28-2014, 04:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Testing now...
01-28-2014, 04:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
In addition to there being no Apple support yet for RAW files from the Pentax K3, there is even a problem with jpeg. With all lenses, Aperture reports "Unknown Lens" in the EXIF for jpeg files. Pentax Digital Camera Utility 5 reports the correct lens. Has anybody else seen this? I have tried Pentax DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-135, and Tamron 90 (actually, DCU doesn't report the Tamron, but I guess that's normal). I have the latest Aperture (3.5.1) and Version 1.01 firmware in the K3.
Just discovered the K-30 does the same. The K-5 is fine though.
01-28-2014, 04:55 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Same here. Pentax Q and K20D are reported correctly (i.e. cam + lens).

01-28-2014, 05:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Confirmed. K-3 says "unknown lens" in Aperture when looking at the camera generated JPG file.
However, when I upload a JPG directly to Flickr, the information is there.
01-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's possible that the lens information is stored in a different memory address in the Jpeg files, and so Aperture is just looking in the wrong place and not finding what it needs. If this is the case it's something their tech support needs to address, but the good news is it should be a very easy fix for them. I would contact their tech support, or report it as a bug if there is a forum for that.